The Student Room Group

Schizoaffective Student

I'm a 2nd year who's just been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder.
I've had to take a year out due to this but hope to restart in September.
Been told I'll have to go through occupational health etc.

I'm worried I won't be allowed to return to study. My symptoms are now managed and I've started medication with I intend to take regularly.

Does any one know of similar cases or where I stand? I read that if they deem me to be a risk to patients I might not be allowed back - this really isn't the case and as it is now under control I feel as if the med school has a duty to support me.

Any thoughts?
Original post by RedorMed
I'm a 2nd year who's just been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder.
I've had to take a year out due to this but hope to restart in September.
Been told I'll have to go through occupational health etc.

I'm worried I won't be allowed to return to study. My symptoms are now managed and I've started medication with I intend to take regularly.

Does any one know of similar cases or where I stand? I read that if they deem me to be a risk to patients I might not be allowed back - this really isn't the case and as it is now under control I feel as if the med school has a duty to support me.

Any thoughts?

Speak directly to OH at the university. They're the only ones who will be able to give you a definitive answer. If it is controlled and stays that way I would think that they would be fine. As long as you and your patients are safe there is no issue.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending