The Student Room Group

~Grow Your Grades 2016 Discussion Thread~

Grow Your Grades 2016

Back again, Grow Your Grades is here to motivate you to improve in your studies! Whether you want to focus on one subject or all of them, and at whatever level, you can enter!
:badger: :badger: :badger:
So, what is Grow Your Grades?
The competition runs from now until GCSE Results Day, and the aim is to boost your grades by creating a blog, updating us on your progress and asking for help from the lovely TSR Study Help community!

And why should I enter?

Get great tips, advice and motivation from the Study Help team

Improve on your weakest subject, at whatever level

Share your experience and connect with other participants

Sounds great! How do I enter?
All you need to do to enter is head over to our Entry Thread before the 15th February and follow the details from there!

On top of that, there's going to be prizes for the best blogs at the end, plus mini prizes throughout to keep you motivated!
:badger: :badger: :badger:

Useful resources on TSR which can help you:
Study Help Forums
Study Planner
A* at A-Level Question Thread
Beating Stress at College

Please keep this thread for DISCUSSION ONLY! To enter, head over to our Entry Thread!

Scroll to see replies

How do I enter if I have already got a thread from last year? Do I have to create a new one to enter or what?
Original post by MrMackyTv
How do I enter if I have already got a thread from last year? Do I have to create a new one to enter or what?

@The Learn Ranger will have to confirm this, but I think it's probably best if you open a new one so we make sure we aren't judging last year's things by accident :h:
Thanks Gingerbread. Yes, best to start a new thread with a new starting point and new ambitions.
Original post by Gingerbread101
@The Learn Ranger will have to confirm this, but I think it's probably best if you open a new one so we make sure we aren't judging last year's things by accident :h:

OK. Because I thought I would be able to carry on from my current blog but that's fine, I can always forward people back to the current blog so they know what happened before and etc. Just in case, I will wait for confirmation. Thanks! :h:
Original post by The Learn Ranger
Thanks Gingerbread. Yes, best to start a new thread with a new starting point and new ambitions.

OK. I will make a new one, thanks! :h:
Original post by MrMackyTv
OK. Because I thought I would be able to carry on from my current blog but that's fine, I can always forward people back to the current blog so they know what happened before and etc. Just in case, I will wait for confirmation. Thanks! :h:

Yep, I've been so impressed with how regularly you've been updating your blog! :adore: It would be a shame for you to lose people following it :yep: If you make a post at the end of your current blog directing people to the new one then that should do the trick :h:
Original post by Gingerbread101
Yep, I've been so impressed with how regularly you've been updating your blog! :adore: It would be a shame for you to lose people following it :yep: If you make a post at the end of your current blog directing people to the new one then that should do the trick :h:

Yeah! I got quite a routine right now with blogging - I never seem to forget. There's more to talk about when doing it at the beginning of the week then at the end of the week to review work. I just actually sent my thread off to be reviewed and I am preparing links right now :biggrin:
Reply 8
@Gingerbread101 Hi, I have a GYG thread created back in September 2015 and recently I have made a 2nd version to improve the blog further. I would my thread to be moved to the GYG section where it should belong however, I have come to the decision whereby I will not participate in the competition as I feel it's too short seeming that it doesn't start until now and that it ends during the GCSE results day. In addition to this, I feel that winning a prize in the competition will not make me any more motivated in any sense.
Reply 9
Original post by Babs Posh
I've been waiting this for a while now, yay! :smile: I really need the motivation haha...

I'm in Year 12 and studying Maths, History, English Lit and Politics. I'd be over the moon with 3 As at the end of AS levels (I'm taking history in 2017 instead as it's a reformed A level), but my predicted grades are Bs and that's already quite ambitious :s-smilie:

Hey hey hey

We do pretty much the same subjects except I do Biology instead of English lit, can we be study buddies? We've also got the same predicted grades and personal targets!

Do you do M1 for maths?
Original post by jamestg
Hey hey hey

We do pretty much the same subjects except I do Biology instead of English lit, can we be study buddies? We've also got the same predicted grades and personal targets!

Do you do M1 for maths?

Woop! Sure thingggg :smile: I recognise you from the GCSE Crime and Punishment thread haha which I also sat, thank god that's over!

Aw nope I do S1 :frown: What do you study for history?
Woop! Sure thingggg :smile: I recognise you from the GCSE Crime and Punishment thread haha which I also sat, thank god that's over!

Aw nope I do S1 :frown: What do you study for history?

That's me, yes THANK F*CK that's over. Literally the most boring and tedious topic ever :biggrin:

I do Germany 1918-89 and Rise and Fall of Fascism in Italy, you?!
Original post by JTran38
@Gingerbread101 Hi, I have a GYG thread created back in September 2015 and recently I have made a 2nd version to improve the blog further. I would my thread to be moved to the GYG section where it should belong however, I have come to the decision whereby I will not participate in the competition as I feel it's too short seeming that it doesn't start until now and that it ends during the GCSE results day. In addition to this, I feel that winning a prize in the competition will not make me any more motivated in any sense.

Hi :h:
It's probably best that if you're not going to be taking part in the competition, you keep your blog in the general Study Help forums :smile: that way you'll still get visitors and can keep updating it for as long as you want, whereas the GYG forums are specifically for entry threads so they can be all in one place to be judged :smile:
Original post by jamestg
That's me, yes THANK F*CK that's over. Literally the most boring and tedious topic ever :biggrin:

I do Germany 1918-89 and Rise and Fall of Fascism in Italy, you?!

It was literally the worst exam ever... but I somehow did quite well in it :h:

Aw man, I do American Civil Rights and Apartheid in South Africa - literally nobody else seems to be studying these haha!
It was literally the worst exam ever... but I somehow did quite well in it :h:

Aw man, I do American Civil Rights and Apartheid in South Africa - literally nobody else seems to be studying these haha!

Ahhh your units seem really interesting! Especially the SA one!!

I felt literally the same, but somehow I managed to get an A* dropping like 3 marks in the whole thing :h:
Original post by jamestg
Ahhh your units seem really interesting! Especially the SA one!!

I felt literally the same, but somehow I managed to get an A* dropping like 3 marks in the whole thing :h:

Yes! I was exactly the same, I dropped like 8 marks I think but throughout the whole 2 years I never passed a single mock haha! Shows how anything can happen... hopefully it will be the same for AS :s-smilie:
Yes! I was exactly the same, I dropped like 8 marks I think but throughout the whole 2 years I never passed a single mock haha! Shows how anything can happen... hopefully it will be the same for AS :s-smilie:

I definitely won't be passing the AS! For our Germany unit we haven't even finished chapter 2 of 5 and we've got four months left...
May as well. This will be my 3rd current blog on the site.

How often is it recommended that you update the posts?
There's a link on the main thread that says "start your blog here", but when I follow the link to the forum, it won't let me post my own thread. Is this how I create a study blog? Am I doing something wrong or is this something happening for everyone until a certain date? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Original post by peterpotatoes
There's a link on the main thread that says "start your blog here", but when I follow the link to the forum, it won't let me post my own thread. Is this how I create a study blog? Am I doing something wrong or is this something happening for everyone until a certain date? Any help is greatly appreciated!

A moderator has to A okay the thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending