The Student Room Group

Study Log for Me!

So I'm in year 13 so done applying to uni and all that and I really hope this'll help me and motivate me to stay focused.

These are my uni choices and updates:
Music - Huddersfield - Conditional offer (300 UCAS points w/ B in music)
Music - Sheffield - Conditional offer (ABB)
Music and Theatre - Hull - Interview on Wednesday (any tips pleeasse???)
Music - Bath Spa - nothing yet
Music - Canterbury Christchurch - nothing yet
The one I really want to go to is actually Hull which is 280 UCAS points (BBC) so I'm really kind of nervous for Wednesday!

My AS grades were:
Japanese - B
Ethics and Philosophy - C
Music - D
English Language - D
Spanish - D
Not great but I'm retaking coursework in Music and English and retaking the exam in Spanish.
I also dropped Ethics and Philosophy because it was so stressful.

Right now I think I'm working at C/D levels for Music, English and Spanish. I'd assume B ish for Japanese but I don't really know yet.
So I obviously want to be improving these so hopefully this'll help!
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Good luck! :smile:
A-level Japanese? Very impressive :adore:

Maybe it would be worth seeing if you can find anything online about what the interviews are like, and look at what you've been told to prepare for (if anything).

Good luck with your grades and getting into Hull! :woo:
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
A-level Japanese? Very impressive :adore:

Maybe it would be worth seeing if you can find anything online about what the interviews are like, and look at what you've been told to prepare for (if anything).

Good luck with your grades and getting into Hull! :woo:

Haha, my mum's japanese so I'm fluent in it. Although my way of speaking is quite childish and colloquial to where my mum's from so... :P
And I have been looking everywhere but I can't find any forums or chat rooms about music interviews (not to conservatoires) from recent years... :/ It said on the website they'll ask like why we chose a certain song (I have to perform for them too, like an audition) and I only chose my particular song because it was the only one I could find appropriate backing track to that was long enough... :P
Thanks anyway :smile:
Original post by HazMusicPanda
Haha, my mum's japanese so I'm fluent in it. Although my way of speaking is quite childish and colloquial to where my mum's from so... :P
And I have been looking everywhere but I can't find any forums or chat rooms about music interviews (not to conservatoires) from recent years... :/ It said on the website they'll ask like why we chose a certain song (I have to perform for them too, like an audition) and I only chose my particular song because it was the only one I could find appropriate backing track to that was long enough... :P
Thanks anyway :smile:

My mum too :tongue:

:eek4: well you better find a reason, even if you have to kind of make one up!

And maybe it's worth looking up general interview questions for music, and just hoping that they come up. Be yourself, but try not to say something that you haven't thought through :tongue:
X

I don't know if you've seen this, but there seems to be fairly detailed information about Hull interviews- might be handy :h:

But I guess general interview advice would be to be yourself (cheesy, I know), Maybe have a few questions prepared to show that you're engaged with the course and be properly enthusiastic about music, Hull and your future musical career.

What type of music do you play btw?
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
My mum too :tongue:

:eek4: well you better find a reason, even if you have to kind of make one up!

And maybe it's worth looking up general interview questions for music, and just hoping that they come up. Be yourself, but try not to say something that you haven't thought through :tongue:

Oh cool! What part of Japan is she from?
And I think I'll say it suits my range comfortably and it allows me to add expression and emotion... :P Would it be okay to mention that it's the only one I could find a suitable backing track for in addition?
Yeah I have been doing. I'm really shocked at the little amount of tips there are for music interviews compared to say Maths or Sciences!
Oh cool! What part of Japan is she from?
And I think I'll say it suits my range comfortably and it allows me to add expression and emotion... :P Would it be okay to mention that it's the only one I could find a suitable backing track for in addition?
Yeah I have been doing. I'm really shocked at the little amount of tips there are for music interviews compared to say Maths or Sciences!

A tiny prefecture in Shikoku :tongue: how about yours?

I'm not a music interview expert but I'd say that it doesn't do you any favours by mentioning that bit :tongue: maybe something about the composer as well if you can.

That doesn't surprise me :tongue: maybe there are few people that are good enough to study it at uni :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by Tank Girl
I don't know if you've seen this, but there seems to be fairly detailed information about Hull interviews- might be handy :h:

But I guess general interview advice would be to be yourself (cheesy, I know), Maybe have a few questions prepared to show that you're engaged with the course and be properly enthusiastic about music, Hull and your future musical career.

What type of music do you play btw?

Yeah I've seen that page. My mum split it up into 4 questions and is getting me to write out answers to them so at least I'll have had the experience.
I'm not too sure on what questions to ask though... :/ I was maybe thinking asking about the City of Culture thing because that's something I want to get involved in... :P
I sing classical, musical theatre and pop (well... anyone can sing pop) songs! I also play a few instruments :P
Reply 9
Original post by SeanFM
A tiny prefecture in Shikoku :tongue: how about yours?

I'm not a music interview expert but I'd say that it doesn't do you any favours by mentioning that bit :tongue: maybe something about the composer as well if you can.

That doesn't surprise me :tongue: maybe there are few people that are good enough to study it at uni :wink:

Mine's from the Ishikawa prefecture (the sticky out bit towards China on Honshu) :P
Okay. I'll leave that bit out then... Yeah I've done a bit of research on the musical my song's from. Turns out the composer's done a load of other things I know too! :P :smile:
Mine's from the Ishikawa prefecture (the sticky out bit towards China on Honshu) :P
Okay. I'll leave that bit out then... Yeah I've done a bit of research on the musical my song's from. Turns out the composer's done a load of other things I know too! :P :smile:

That seems quite far from any airports :eek4: I'd guess 3 or 4 hours by train? (KIX is about that far from Kagawa prefecture :tongue:).

Ah that's cool, maybe you could say 'I liked these other songs by ... so it inspired me to dig a little deeper and I found out a bit more about him and this song'. kind of thing.
Good luck. I also did A level music :smile:. It has its difficulties.
Uni Update:
Got an audition date from Bath Spa! :smile: Buut I live about 4/5 hours away from Bath and they want me there at 10am in the morning... :/
Original post by SeanFM
That seems quite far from any airports :eek4: I'd guess 3 or 4 hours by train? (KIX is about that far from Kagawa prefecture :tongue:).

Ah that's cool, maybe you could say 'I liked these other songs by ... so it inspired me to dig a little deeper and I found out a bit more about him and this song'. kind of thing.

Er, I think so... Not too sure. We usually use Kansai airport then get about 2 trains :P
Yeah, I think I'll say something like that, thanks! :smile:
Uni update:
Finished my audition/interview for Hull. It didn't go amazingly but it didn't flop so I'm still pretty nervous - I should hopefully hear back next week. I've also got a conditional offer from Canterbury Christchurch :smile:
Mock Results:
Music - B
English Language - E
Spanish - E
(I didn't do a mock for Japanese)

I'm quite happy with my result for music, I think I was one of the best in my class, but obviously I'm disappointed with my English and Spanish result. Particularly my English. But I know what went wrong with English - I wasn't doing enough practise essays and I know all the stuff, I just find it difficult to get it down onto paper and explain myself properly. My teacher told me that my paragraphs aren't very systematic either so I need to work on that.
My Spanish... Well I don't know what to say or do... I'm terrible at Spanish and I always feel stupid and/or inferior in my class because everyone understand what my teachers are saying when they talk in Spanish but I can't keep up and as there's only 5 of us and I'm quite a quiet and shy person, I don't get a chance to say that I don't understand... I'm revising vocab with an app on my phone which has been very useful in class, I know I need to do it a bit more. I need to also work harder at memorising all my tenses - I find that really difficult. I also think I need to work at my essays again because I'm just really bad with essays in Spanish and English... In Music it's easy because I just go through the music I'm talking about in chronological order by bar or figure number and I know the order I do it but I find it so hard in Spanish and English...

Well overall, I'm meh with my results. I need to find a way to beat procrastination and do more practice essays because I haven't been doing them. It's a bit annoying thought that I find I work best really late at night when I have a deadline of the next day and I want to go to sleep... I mean I stayed up til 1:30am to finish my Jazz essay and I got a B! I wish I worked better in the morning or the afternoon but no, it's night... If anyone has any tips on how to improve this, I'd really appreciate it! :smile:
Final Uni Choices Update!:
Huddersfield - Music BMus - Conditional
Sheffield - Music BMus - Conditional
Canterbury Christchurch - Music BMus - Conditional
Hull - Music and Theatre BA - Conditional
Bath Spa - Music BA - Interview (I'm declining this because they want me to come on a (school) week day at 10am and it takes me like 4/5 hours to get to Bath. They also asked for like 5 different things to prepare in advance :/)

So happy with this! I was worrying about getting one offer before I sent it off and I've now got 4/5!? :smile:
So what have I been doing over half term and since the mocks? We're part way through so I thought I'd update you.

Well since my mocks, I feel I'm getting better and working a lot harder. I handed in an essay almost the week after my mocks for English and got a D on it (which is significantly better than the E I got in the mocks) and I've done 2 essays in Spanish. I've also finished the first draft of my A2 composition and working on building texture in my AS composition (which is what my teacher suggested could've gone wrong in my first AS composition) so I think it's going up.

Over half term I really haven't been doing as much work as I should've. I've done one Spanish essay (I need to do another one this week), 2 DIRT paragraphs on my English mocks and I've done basic recording of my A2 composition. I know I should've done more but procrastination is getting the better of me. I'm quite busy for the rest of the week which is unfortunate. I've got my sister's birthday part and a volunteering session at the library tomorrow, traveling to Canterbury and having the applicant day on Friday and Saturday so Sunday's my last free full day.

I think I'll plan to do my Spanish essay plan tonight or tomorrow morning and hopefully write that tomorrow. I've got part of a Spanish exam I need to finish too but that's not due until Tuesday (I have Tuesday mornings off so I can do it then if I can't do it this week), I'll add some more vocab on my phone to learn on the train and stuff and I'll find a recording of the 3rd movement of Shostakovich's 5th symphony and bring the score and highlighters with me to go through it perhaps on the journey back.

There are other things I need to do - I espeically need to work on my Jazz for music so perhaps I can find recordings of the pieces we're studying and put that onto an MP3 player as well... Or just download Spotify on my phone... :P

Some methods I've found useful when trying to get things done, is keeping a bullet journal. I might post some pictures of mine soon but basically I try to write down everything I need to do for the following day and if I get it done, I can tick it off and I really like seeing everything being ticked off so it's quite motivational. I'm trying the pomodoro technique as well but I haven't found it works yet. I haven't say down for hours to do work. I just do one essay or learn a set of theorists then have like a 5 hour break which isn't good. Maybe I should try and find like a 4 hour block every day to just get some work done.

Anyway, that's all I have to say for now. I'll update whenever I feel is next appropriate. Probably on Sunday but we'll see.

PS - also played around with colour above. I did not know how to do that... :P
Update #whatevernumberthisisimcallingitthree

So all that stuff I said in the post above, I didn't actually do. Which is unfortunate especially as I now have to rush my Spanish essay and tidy my room and get ready for tomorrow and have a shower and stuff... I haven't even planned it (but I've started! I've written the introduction and have a very rough idea of each paragraph). *sigh*

Another decision I've decided to make about this studying thing, is to add TSR to my list of banned social media of the week. I ban all my common social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) Monday to Friday to try and help me concentrate more and it's working slightly but I can just as easily procrastinate on TSR so I'm going to be banning this as well.

But what do I plan to do this week aside from my homework? Well I need to get to work on my English Language AS coursework resit. I've done one piece and need to work on the commentary and I now need to actually write the other (gosh I'm so stressed). I'd also like to write at least 1 English essay this week, not too sure what on yet but I'll discover it. I'm also meeting my new English tutor on Tuesday so hopefully he'll be able to help me. I also think I need to get revising all my theorists, especially for Language Change because the only one I know is Jean Aitchinson and I'm sure there's others but I don't know who they are...
In Spanish, I obviously need to write this essay tonight (it's due tomorrow... oops!) and I'm planning to write up another essay I did up neat for Tuesday. I also need to finish the practise paper we were given for Tuesday. I also need to start learning my Casa de Bernarda Alba quotes in Spanish because I can sort of remember them in English but that's no use in an essay so that needs to happen. I guess reading through and doing practise paragraphs will help with that. I also need to keep going with my vocab and add more lists to my app. I might do that tomorrow lunch. I need to do Kerboodle and talk to my dad's friend's wife who's Spanish and wants to help me so I think I'll send her a message tonight.
For Music, I need to quickly go through my table for the 2nd movement of Shostakovich's 5th symphony and email it to my teacher then probably find a recording of the 3rd movement and do basic annotations. I should probably start trying to do more practise essays of it as well. I need to do a LOT more for Jazz because I think that's my weakest area. I just don't listen to it because all the Jazz music I need to listen to I have on Spotify and whenever I'm on Spotify I just start listening to Out of the Blue and acapella music... :/ I guess I'll go over the pieces we've done, reading the booklets and making mindmaps. I think I'll do that on Friday. For composition, I think I need to put my AS stuff in time again and I just need to speak to my teacher. If I don't get a chance to, I'll either try and play around with other instruments on Cubase or write out my score neatly.
In Japanese I just need to do more translations and copying of essays really. I know what to do there.

Well that's it I think for this week. I won't update again until next Saturday at least (well I shouldn't) and I really need to go and have a shower now so I'm going to leave it there. Fingers crossed I get a productive week this week!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending