The Student Room Group

epq i think i did the project log wrong?

I've been writing my notes on the sources on my project log as part of what I've learnt. But I looked at other high grades' project logs and they don't write it there. So I'm not too sure I did it right. do I have to move my notes to another document?

Can someone give me some advice on this?
Hi, I got an a* in my EPQ last year and if my memory is correct I believe I wrote about my sources in both the production log and my essay. When I talked about them in my essay I made a table where I evaluated them. I am not really sure if this is the right way to do it though. Have you checked with your supervisor?
Original post by confusedlime
Hi, I got an a* in my EPQ last year and if my memory is correct I believe I wrote about my sources in both the production log and my essay. When I talked about them in my essay I made a table where I evaluated them. I am not really sure if this is the right way to do it though. Have you checked with your supervisor?

Thanks for replying
When I first started writing it I didn't know what to write on it so I asked her and I vaguely remember her telling me to write about the sources in it. But if you managed to get an a * you must have done something right:smile:
Original post by i'mconcuzled
I've been writing my notes on the sources on my project log as part of what I've learnt. But I looked at other high grades' project logs and they don't write it there. So I'm not too sure I did it right. do I have to move my notes to another document?

Can someone give me some advice on this?

Hi! I got 46/50 on my EPQ and most of that was down to my project log! What the markers are looking for is REFLECTION. In every section lots of your writing should be looking at what you learnt from each stage of your work. Using phrases like..
- "This taught me.."
- "On reflection..."
- "After doing ____, I found that ____, and therefore I_____"
- " I realised that_____"
This will ensure you hit AO3

To hit AO2, you must list and explain bits to do with your sources, but it is not for writing your notes about your sources. You should be writing notes on separate documents. What they're looking for on project log is for you to state (a few not all) of your sources, and evaluate them, the phrase I used over and over was...
- "I found this source (eg. Survival during the Indian Ocean Tsunami - this was what mine was about!), and read it through. From the date, I can tell that this source is detailed/less detailed because...etc. I practiced my referencing with the source (insert reference), and evaluated it in my source table. I will be wary when using this source because ____, and I will use Google Scholar to find similar sources that will match/dispute the information I find.

To hit AO1 the best thing to do is make plans!! I didn't even stick to them myself, but pretending like I'd written them at the start of each half-term got me 10/10 on the AO1 section. Just something like...
- From October Half Term-Christmas I plan to:
+ Continue with my source table
+ Reanalyse (SOURCE)
+ Complete a draft of paragraph (three)
+ Evaluate my performance of this half term's work
+ Speak to a Year 13 about their experiences with the EPQ

If there's anything else I can help with please let me know!! The key thing is to use the MARK SCHEME and write what you think the examiners want to hear. Keep most of your notes OUT of your logbook, instead putting in lots of planning and evaluation and reflection to hit all the AO marks!! x
Original post by emma85736
Hi! I got 46/50 on my EPQ and most of that was down to my project log! What the markers are looking for is REFLECTION. In every section lots of your writing should be looking at what you learnt from each stage of your work. Using phrases like..
- "This taught me.."
- "On reflection..."

To hit AO2, you must list and explain bits to do with your sources, but it is not for writing your notes about your sources. You should be writing notes on separate documents. What they're looking for on project log is for you to state (a few not all) of your sources, and evaluate them, the phrase I used over and over was...
- "I found this source (eg. Survival during the Indian Ocean Tsunami - this was what mine was about!), and read it through. From the date, I can tell that this source is detailed/less detailed because...etc. I practiced my referencing with the source (insert reference), and evaluated it in my source table. I will be wary when using this source because ____, and I will use Google Scholar to find similar sources that will match/dispute the information I find.

To hit AO1 the best thing to do is make plans!! I didn't even stick to them myself, but pretending like I'd written them at the start of each half-term got me 10/10 on the AO1 section. Just something like...
+ Reanalyse (SOURCE)

If there's anything else I can help with please let me know!! The key thing is to use the MARK SCHEME and write what you think the examiners want to hear. Keep most of your notes OUT of your logbook, instead putting in lots of planning and evaluation and reflection to hit all the AO marks!! x

Thank you soo much.
i have a question: Do you need to submit the notes you take?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by i'mconcuzled
Thank you soo much.
i have a question: Do you need to submit the notes you take?

Sorry for the long reply wait!! No you don't. Well definitely in my school's case we didn't have to. I never did and managed to get my high mark. I had friends who used up space on their project logs to submit notes and it didn't add anything for them. The best thing to do is state a bit of what you learnt, and evaluate that. Really use the AO1,AO2,AO3 mark scheme. For AO2 you need to identify your sources, so definitely stating a few of them will help, but no need to copy notes in huge detail!
Original post by emma85736
- "This taught me.."
- "On reflection..."

+ Reanalyse (SOURCE)

absolute lifesaver, thanks so much for taking the time to write this!!

do you have any rough suggestions for dates to do things by (or say you will do them by in the log, at least!) such as first draft?
Reply 7
I agree that the stuff you do around the essay is as important as the essay. Separate to the production log I had a mind map, then a time line with whether each stage had been completed and how it had gone and a Gantt chart. Then I had a work log table listing all the things I did, the skills I worked on/gained as a result and an analysis/evaluation. The skills were things like IT skills ie Gantt chart and using Google scholar, communication skills ie discussing things with my tutor, time management/writing/decision making/research skills, I also evaluated all my sources in a table.

A lot what was needed in the production log could then be lifted from my work log and I just expanded on it a little more. Make sure your essay has an intro and conclusion of course and is well structured in between (mine had 3 clear sections - look at how to write research pieces as it's very different from how you write for GCSE! Have references and a bibliography.

Your presentation when you get to it, should give a good overview of the project but more importantly needs to cover skills learned and evaluations of what went well, any difficulties you overcame and what you would do differently if you did it again. This can easily be pulled from the work log if you do one. I got 49 out of 50 for my (Cyber) EPQ.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending