The Student Room Group

How much would you like earn a year (what would you be happy with?)

Scroll to see replies

What I earn now: £100k+ year

Anything less than that and you're a peasant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reue
When I left uni, the average graduate salary was £21.5k.. so I considered anything above that to be good. As it was.. my first full time job paid £15.5k and I had loads of disposable income.

Yh I'm sure you did....living like a peasant in medieval britian

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Original post by Dopesmoker

Posted from TSR Mobile

What?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's called good budgeting xD Look at my post on the beggining of the page.
Original post by SophieSmall
I don't see how that isn't achievable on 30k unless you have high rent.

My brother is on 25k and can afford all those things you mentioned though more in the middle of 600pcm savings, as well as a holiday if he fancies. Though he's not been on one in a while, for different reasons.

You mean 25k after tax. £25k gross is like £1.6k a month.

How high is "high rent"?
Original post by Reue
What?

I am saying you're neglect to mention the fact that the only way you would have lots of disposable income on that salary is because you likely had no life / spent any money at all.
Reply 106
I am saying you're neglect to mention the fact that the only way you would have lots of disposable income on that salary is because you likely had no life / spent any money at all.

Neither.

I had well over £500 a month spending money, and lived with 2 of my best friends. Both the finances and social life were very healthy thanks :smile:
Original post by Reue
Neither.

I had well over £500 a month spending money, and lived with 2 of my best friends. Both the finances and social life were very healthy thanks :smile:

The only way that's possible is

a) You budgeted life a mothaf***er, and bought the cheap version of literally everything
b) You lived somewhere where cost of living is low and 15k is decent
Original post by TheOneMusketeer
You mean 25k after tax. £25k gross is like £1.6k a month.

How high is "high rent"?

No he is on 25k pretax.

Well I'd personally say paying anything more than 6-700 a month is highish rent anything above that I think is silly (though bare in mind not talking about a family living a 5 bed house, this is 2-3 bed places at most), but then I live up north. My brother pays £450 a month and has a lovely 2 bed house in a cul de sac
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 109
The only way that's possible is

a) You budgeted life a mothaf***er, and bought the cheap version of literally everything
b) You lived somewhere where cost of living is low and 15k is decent

£15.5k is £1,135 per month
Rent was £850 a month + bills. Split 3 ways and that's about £400 each.
Food for say £200 a month leaves over £500 spending cash.

Hardly extreme budgeting or low cost living area.
I'd be more than happy on £30,000 a year to be honest
Original post by Reue
Neither.

lol don't bother he obviously trying to get a rise out of people, in his original post anything below 100k is for peasants.
Original post by SophieSmall
No he is on 25k is pretax.

Well I'd personally say paying anything more than 6-700 a month is highish rent anything above that I think is silly (though bare in mind not talking about a family living a 5 bed house, this is 2-3 bed places at most), but then I live up north. My brother pays £450 a month and has a lovely 2 bed house in a cul de sac

You would struggle to rent a 1 bed crackden for £450pcm where I am and I'm not anywhere especially expensive.
Original post by Etomidate
You would struggle to rent a 1 bed crackden for £450pcm where I am and I'm not anywhere especially expensive.

Well clearly I disagree with your opinion on what is and isn't expensive then.
£40k+ by the time im 30
£60k+ by the time im 40
£80+by the time im 50
Original post by Reue
£15.5k is £1,135 per month
Rent was £850 a month + bills. Split 3 ways and that's about £400 each.
Food for say £200 a month leaves over £500 spending cash.

Hardly extreme budgeting or low cost living area.

Your rent was £65 per week per person?

Ah so I was right, you lived somewhere where 15k is decent.
Original post by SeanFM
£52,067 :colondollar:

Anything past that is great.

Those figures are out of line at the lower-mid range in my line of work.

Spoiler

Reply 117
Ah so I was right, you lived somewhere where 15k is decent.

Reading?

Yup.. certainly not one of the UK's most expensive places to live. Oh wait :rolleyes:
i can live for the first few year on only £10,000 a year after tax but say 15 years down the line then i would want to aim for £150,000 per year which is easy in the trade with the rise in prices of hard held precious metals and the fluctuation in diamonds
Original post by ✠ ☢ ✠
£40k+ by the time im 30
£60k+ by the time im 40
£80+by the time im 50

lol at all the people who have made posts like this one.

You do realise that for most people, pay does not continually go up linearly until you retire. It actually gets to a peak around when you're middle aged (40-50) and then it stays flat (or even declines). See chart on this page:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10943604/Workers-reach-26000-earning-peak-at-age-38.html

I'm an investment banker and even though my salary goes up by tens of thousands of pounds every year, even bankers dont have continual salary progression.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending