The Student Room Group

Your first job?

Just wondering what everyone's first job was?

I still have mine, as a cinema kiosk assistant, although I do a lot of the projection work now.

Anyone else?

Scroll to see replies

Hello MaggiiMae,

my first paid job was brilliant. I was 17/18, and I somehow landed a job working for my local council conducting surveys regarding peoples method of transport and trying to convince them to pursue 'greener' alternatives. Most of the people doing the job were graduates, I was by far the youngest. We tested new software and got to use flashy Samsung Galaxy Tablets. They pay was amazing and the job was really fun!
I was 16 when I started working in a newsagents. The owner was knocking out under the counter, so had some awkward moments when customers came in asking to buy cowies. Ruined the last of my innocence.
I worked at Amazon from October last year til December, I absolutely despised it. Some times I worked like 60 hours in a week, my average was probably 50 hours.
My first job was a temporary christmas job when I was about 16 at Dobbies (a garden center for those that haven't heard of it). It was set up by an agency and it was one of the worst things I've ever done. I was basically a sales assistant for a company that had a stand there over christmas, I was given no training or information on what I was actually doing. When I showed up there was literally no one who even knew what I was doing. Got paid for it but it was such a bad job.
Reply 5
When I was thirteen I had a job putting supplements in newspapers. I hated it and was delighted when I got fired.
Original post by Quantex
I was 16 when I started working in a newsagents. The owner was knocking out under the counter, so had some awkward moments when customers came in asking to buy cowies. Ruined the last of my innocence.

What do you mean by this......
Original post by Dinasaurus
I worked at Amazon from October last year til December, I absolutely despised it. Some times I worked like 60 hours in a week, my average was probably 50 hours.

What kind of job at Amazon?
Original post by TheOneMusketeer

born july 1986 dental hygieniest

I worked in a warehouse, the job I did the most was receiving. Stood in one place next to a conveyor line, boxes would come through. I'd take them off the line place them onto my desk, scan a sticker of the item inside the box. Type some numbers on the computer. Place the contents of the box onto either a silver cart thing or into one of 3 coloured boxes. Repeat until silver cart is full. Take silver cart to holding area in the warehouse, get new empty cart. Repeat.

6am until 6pm at its worst. I don't think I ever managed though, I normally did 7am until 6pm.
Original post by John55
When I was thirteen I had a job putting supplements in newspapers. I hated it and was delighted when I got fired.

Why did you get fired?
Original post by Dinasaurus
I worked in a warehouse, the job I did the most was receiving. Stood in one place next to a conveyor line, boxes would come through. I'd take them off the line place them onto my desk, scan a sticker of the item inside the box. Type some numbers on the computer. Place the contents of the box onto either a silver cart thing or into one of 3 coloured boxes. Repeat until silver cart is full. Take silver cart to holding area in the warehouse, get new empty cart. Repeat.

6am until 6pm at its worst. I don't think I ever managed though, I normally did 7am until 6pm.

I can see that it is repetitive job and the hours are long. Is that why you hated it? or were there other reasons?
Original post by erika foster
born july 1986 dental hygieniest

Sorry, why are you quoting me?
Sorry, why are you quoting me?

what do you mean am i quoting you
I can see that it is repetitive job and the hours are long. Is that why you hated it? or were there other reasons?

The hours were long, it was repetitive. Almost everyone was Lithuanian and they rarely spoke to anyone else, I am visibly not Lithuanian so they never made an effort to speak to me.

The few people I did speak with kept moving around, so we didn't share breaks so I would spend most days barely speaking as we weren't allowed to 'chat' on the job, although we still did but we'd get in trouble. Being silent for so many hours is impossible for me.

I felt the lack of mental stimulus absolutely mind numbing and lack of conversation, especially as my friends were in uni and they go out and party multiple times a week.
I started working at O2 as a Sales Advisor at 16. Switched gears to Three (got paid more p/hour + cash bonuses > gift cards lmao) as a Sales Associate at 17, been here for a year and 3 months. I'll be leaving in 2 weeks to focus on revision.
Original post by erika foster
what do you mean am i quoting you

You replied with some nonsense when I hadn't asked you anything.
You replied with some nonsense when I hadn't asked you anything.

but the that is my first job and my current one hardly ****ing ********
Servicing horny school mums.

Hard work but someone has got to do it. :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by MountKimbie
Why did you get fired?

I was really lazy. Additionally, at one point I let milk leak into a freezer containing frozen food and didn't notice for like quarter of an hour by which time it was to late... :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending