The Student Room Group

Best place to sell used uni textbooks?

I have a few lying around and need the cash. Is amazon or ebay the best? I've been struggling to sell clothes on ebay recently.
Reply 1
I sold one of mines on Ebay. But it took forever! Amazon will probably be better to sell textbooks. Try gumtree, preloved? Maybe if anyones doing the same course on TSR they might want them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A321
I sold one of mines on Ebay. But it took forever! Amazon will probably be better to sell textbooks. Try gumtree, preloved? Maybe if anyones doing the same course on TSR they might want them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much did you sell it for in the end? Amazon looks good. The books I have are selling for £20+. How much of that would i receive after deductions have been taken do you think?
Reply 3
Original post by Silver Arrow
I have a few lying around and need the cash. Is amazon or ebay the best? I've been struggling to sell clothes on ebay recently.

Clothes are difficult to sell unless its designer i have struggled myself.
I would recommend Amazon to sell your books on it is where i sold all mine on. I would price it just below the other sellers as students will definitely buy it or i might price it up.
Reply 4
How much did you sell it for in the end? Amazon looks good. The books I have are selling for £20+. How much of that would i receive after deductions have been taken do you think?

Ah sorry i dont remember as it was a couple of months ago. I think Amazon deduct a 20% fee from the total. However when you make a listing on amazon it should tell you how much they'll deduct and what you will receive. On ebay they deduct 10% fees from the item and 10% from your P&P cost. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

This was from 2011 when i first started selling

Item: Economics and the Business Environment: AND Companion Website with GradeTracker
Condition: Used - Like New
Condition note: Good condition, not needed for me.
Listing ID: 1011IKVSS09
SKU: WB-LGA8-4OUE
Quantity: 1
Order date: 12/10/2011
Buyer's price: £35.00
Amazon fees: -£7.39
Shipping: £2.80
Your earnings: £30.41

There is one website specifically for reselling and buying second hand academic books and but I can't remember what it's called. Sounds weird but I think it has the word "slug" or "slugs" in the url.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by A321
Ah sorry i dont remember as it was a couple of months ago. I think Amazon deduct a 20% fee from the total. However when you make a listing on amazon it should tell you how much they'll deduct and what you will receive. On ebay they deduct 10% fees from the item and 10% from your P&P cost. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plus paypal fees as well.
Reply 8
Original post by chikane
Plus paypal fees as well.

Ah yes. But its only 5% fees for Paypal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chikane
This was from 2011 when i first started selling

Item: Economics and the Business Environment: AND Companion Website with GradeTracker
Condition: Used - Like New
Condition note: Good condition, not needed for me.
Listing ID: 1011IKVSS09
SKU: WB-LGA8-4OUE
Quantity: 1
Order date: 12/10/2011
Buyer's price: £35.00
Amazon fees: -£7.39
Shipping: £2.80
Your earnings: £30.41

Oh wow that's good. I'll get on it. And it goes into your bank account or amazon one?
Oh wow that's good. I'll get on it. And it goes into your bank account or amazon one?

It will go to your bank account however it takes 2 weeks for it to get transferred. It used to be 3-5 days but they changed it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending