The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pimped Butterfly
£38m wasn't being taken to the cleaners so we should have got the deal done.

I thought they wanted his release clause of over £50m?
I heard they valued him at £38m but then later on I saw quotes saying they'd only sell if we triggered his release clause.

I would've been content if we paid £38m because we need a quality buy, but if we had paid his release clause they would've been laughing.
(edited 8 years ago)
They went to £50m in the final few days of the window.
Sahin was the early cornerstone of Klopp's success and he's even more lightweight than Allen.

If Allen leaves it's for the same reason he was always going to leave - he has no end product and is too lightweight to play at DM.

Do you not think that Klopp's Dortmund defence had a lot to do with that, though? They were aerially dominant and a solid, compact and reliable unit. He doesn't have that luxury with us - especially given our frailty at set pieces.

He may look at Allen as somebody he just doesn't need in front of a back four, given our back four's weaknesses. He may want a stronger, bigger, faster lad - especially when defending in our box.
Original post by Mackay
Do you not think that Klopp's Dortmund defence had a lot to do with that, though? They were aerially dominant and a solid, compact and reliable unit. He doesn't have that luxury with us - especially given our frailty at set pieces.

He may look at Allen as somebody he just doesn't need in front of a back four, given our back four's weaknesses. He may want a stronger, bigger, faster lad - especially when defending in our box.

We are actually fairly compact/reliable, just **** at set pieces. Klopp has, largely, fixed the defence apart from that and Moreno's retardedness.

He doesn't play Allen directly in front of the back four, and there's hardly any games when we're camped in our box, so it's not an issue.

I think the Klopp x midfield height thing is massively overplayed.
Window now shut. Caulker on loan and Grujic from summer the only signings we made in Jan.

Guess this gives Klopp time to see who stays and who goes in the summer.
With Gaurdiola in PL I'm not even going to dream Liverpool lifting the league title
Norwich sign Maddison and loan him back to Coventry, a few hours after we supposedly made an enquiry.
Original post by mr tim
Window now shut. Caulker on loan and Grujic from summer the only signings we made in Jan.

Guess this gives Klopp time to see who stays and who goes in the summer.

Shame not to sign anybody but I don't think it was necessarily a bad move.
We didn't panic and spend ridiculous amounts - Klopp is much more patient and cleverer than Rodgers was, and he wants to give the existing players a chance to prove themselves before he decides who to ditch in the summer.

You would imagine Benteke and Sturridge are two players he will definitely be keeping an eye on.
If the former doesn't improve and the latter doesn't stay fit, I think he'll move them on and honestly I wouldn't blame him. Obviously you need to find buyers which would be a problem with Sturridge, but you see my point.

We've definitely improved under Klopp (especially defensively), regardless of whether results say otherwise. We're still conceding stupid set piece goals but that's more of a team issue than just the defence. As often stated, nobody can seriously judge Klopp until the end of next season so I think the man wants to bide his time, save the money and go on a summer spree.

We'll probably be the most active PL team in the Summer window.
Original post by DiceTheSlice
With Gaurdiola in PL I'm not even going to dream Liverpool lifting the league title

We have been a few steps away from even competing tbh. Probably need a couple of seasons in the top 4 before we can think about another title challenge.

Original post by Lúcio
Shame not to sign anybody but I don't think it was necessarily a bad move.
We didn't panic and spend ridiculous amounts - Klopp is much more patient and cleverer than Rodgers was, and he wants to give the existing players a chance to prove themselves before he decides who to ditch in the summer.

You would imagine Benteke and Sturridge are two players he will definitely be keeping an eye on.
If the former doesn't improve and the latter doesn't stay fit, I think he'll move them on and honestly I wouldn't blame him. Obviously you need to find buyers which would be a problem with Sturridge, but you see my point.

We've definitely improved under Klopp (especially defensively), regardless of whether results say otherwise. We're still conceding stupid set piece goals but that's more of a team issue than just the defence. As often stated, nobody can seriously judge Klopp until the end of next season so I think the man wants to bide his time, save the money and go on a summer spree.

We'll probably be the most active PL team in the Summer window.

I think it's more about Klopp preferring to keep his budget for the summer and then being able to get more/better players as more clubs are willing to sell and more players willing to move. We need quite a few players and want some star quality which doesn't come cheap.

Not so sure. Chelsea need a big overhaul, Man Utd will give their new manager another 100-200mil, Guardiola will also get 100-200mil..

Arsenal and Spurs are the only two who will probably spend a tidy sum but only on a couple of players.
Chelsea don't need a big overhaul though. Like where is this coming from? From a bad half season that's already being rectified results wise.
Original post by jam277
Chelsea don't need a big overhaul though. Like where is this coming from? From a bad half season that's already being rectified results wise.

A new striker (Falcao to leave, Pato may impress so could be him, Remy seems to want to leave?)
Another star attacker if Hazard can't find his form (even if Willian has been impressing)
Need to sort out that midfield which seems to have some weaknesses
Need a new CB to replace Terry
I think you're a fullback short?

A bit more squad depth wouldn't hurt unless the youth players/million players on loan can fix that?
Guardiola's first season will probably be the most interesting one.

He got Barca playing tiki-taka immediately, but the nucleus of the team were either supremely skilled, or already used to the high possession methods with Spain/their Barca culture. His biggest success was seamlessly integrating Pedro, Busquets, Pique into the team, and the various rejiggings of the forward line, imo.

At Bayern he did well to get the players playing his way. But after Barca, it was probably the second most technically and mentally suited set of players in the world to his philosophy. The likes of Lahm, Thiago and Alaba are supremely intelligent and technically gifted. It would have been a comparatively easy transition to a high possession game with many micro-tactical instructions.

At City, he comes to a team with an abysmal midfield and a leaky defence, and on top of that, a team which is nowhere near as technically talented and patient as the ones he's coached before. And due to the Euros, he'll have a shortened preseason with some pretty worn out players. At Barca and Bayern, Pep has previously tinkered for tinkering's sake (or to achieve supernatural footballing perfection rather than victory, as qua would say). He won't be able to do that in England, his squad isn't physically and technically superior enough to do that here, like it was at his past two jobs. The likes of Zabaleta, Kolarov, Fernandinho, Kompany are not Pep players. They're PL players. Will Pep bend his ways to the league, will his signings adapt, can Pep put victory above his footballsexual desires, what happens when Pep realises that his backline pushing up is a really bad idea, how will Pep do without having a squad that's a level above the rest? They're all genuine risk factors for his first season. They make next year anyone's game.

Pep's the best manager in the world and there's no doubt he will adapt at some stage. But maybe not in his first season, and that's where we all have a chance.
Original post by Zerforax
A new striker (Falcao to leave, Pato may impress so could be him, Remy seems to want to leave?)
Another star attacker if Hazard can't find his form (even if Willian has been impressing)
Need to sort out that midfield which seems to have some weaknesses
Need a new CB to replace Terry
I think you're a fullback short?

A bit more squad depth wouldn't hurt unless the youth players/million players on loan can fix that?

A new striker that would probably be second choice to Costa unless versatile(which would cover the "star attacker" issue anyway), a second choice striker does not factor into an overhaul, it constitutes to squad depth.

Hazard will most likely find his form and Chelsea have been playing Kenedy etc.
CB to replace Terry is an issue but then how hard is it to find a semi decent CB? Cahill's not that bad, Ivanovic can play there Christensen's been very good in the BULI so you'd think he'd factor into the equation.

Yeah Chelsea are a fullback short but that's an issue of squad depth rather than first team.

Chelsea need a CM(Loftus Cheek potentially or a BBM like), a backup ST(who potentially we've got already like Pato) and a CB(who potentially we've got already in Christensen/Ivanovic/Cahill). How in any way does that constitute an overhaul?

This is based on a bad half season which has already been rectified. There is no issue age wise wrt the team unlike United with their backline in 13/14 and it won the title last season.
Original post by jam277
A new striker that would probably be second choice to Costa unless versatile(which would cover the "star attacker" issue anyway), a second choice striker does not factor into an overhaul, it constitutes to squad depth.

Hazard will most likely find his form and Chelsea have been playing Kenedy etc.
CB to replace Terry is an issue but then how hard is it to find a semi decent CB? Cahill's not that bad, Ivanovic can play there Christensen's been very good in the BULI so you'd think he'd factor into the equation.

Yeah Chelsea are a fullback short but that's an issue of squad depth rather than first team.

Chelsea need a CM(Loftus Cheek potentially or a BBM like), a backup ST(who potentially we've got already like Pato) and a CB(who potentially we've got already in Christensen/Ivanovic/Cahill). How in any way does that constitute an overhaul?

This is based on a bad half season which has already been rectified. There is no issue age wise wrt the team unlike United with their backline in 13/14 and it won the title last season.

Well Chelsea don't really do squad players on the cheap. You'll still spend like 100mil on 4 or 5 players. The new manager might think otherwise about your first team squad.

You're right though, that's not an overhaul. I should've just said I expect Chelsea to still be active in the transfer market and spend a lot of money.

Wouldn't be surprised if the PL teams spend well over £1bil this summer (current record is £870mil).
Guardiola's first season will probably be the most interesting one.

He got Barca playing tiki-taka immediately, but the nucleus of the team were either supremely skilled, or already used to the high possession methods with Spain/their Barca culture. His biggest success was seamlessly integrating Pedro, Busquets, Pique into the team, and the various rejiggings of the forward line, imo.

At Bayern he did well to get the players playing his way. But after Barca, it was probably the second most technically and mentally suited set of players in the world to his philosophy. The likes of Lahm, Thiago and Alaba are supremely intelligent and technically gifted. It would have been a comparatively easy transition to a high possession game with many micro-tactical instructions.

At City, he comes to a team with an abysmal midfield and a leaky defence, and on top of that, a team which is nowhere near as technically talented and patient as the ones he's coached before. And due to the Euros, he'll have a shortened preseason with some pretty worn out players. At Barca and Bayern, Pep has previously tinkered for tinkering's sake (or to achieve supernatural footballing perfection rather than victory, as qua would say). He won't be able to do that in England, his squad isn't physically and technically superior enough to do that here, like it was at his past two jobs. The likes of Zabaleta, Kolarov, Fernandinho, Kompany are not Pep players. They're PL players. Will Pep bend his ways to the league, will his signings adapt, can Pep put victory above his footballsexual desires, what happens when Pep realises that his backline pushing up is a really bad idea, how will Pep do without having a squad that's a level above the rest? They're all genuine risk factors for his first season. They make next year anyone's game.

Pep's the best manager in the world and there's no doubt he will adapt at some stage. But maybe not in his first season, and that's where we all have a chance.

Yeah I made a similar post wrt midfield in another forum about how Pep isn't going to destroy the league straight away.

Thing is City push up anyway, they have fast defenders and regularly use the offside trap to catch people out. Kolarov I'd say could work with Pep, got a great ball on him, maybe he's not fast or versatile enough to play in the various systems Pep likes to use(i.e. being comfortable to move to CB/DM when needed) but hey. Also the issue that his key players(Aguero/Kompany/Silva) are injury prone too considering Pep's injury record at Bayern and Barcelona 11/12 is a cause for concern.

Realistically he would look to sort out the midfield first and foremost. I see Yaya Toure leaving or benched ruthlessly(about time). I think Fernandinho has a role in that team but Pep is most likely going to buy 2/3 midfielders in the summer and possibly a fullback to really implement his philosophy. It would take a long time to really make that tick seamlessly, which he had at Barcelona being the B team manager, Bayern had some similar principles to Barcelona due to the work of LVG and Heynckes afterwards which then made that transition quite easy for Pep.

I believe City require a lot of change anyway, so Pep coming in initially should galvanise them in the short-medium term simply because City need a new midfield and have ageing full/wingbacks when they are an important part of Peps play. I'm more unsure about when Pep finds the best form of the team whether he can keep that balance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well Chelsea don't really do squad players on the cheap. You'll still spend like 100mil on 4 or 5 players. The new manager might think otherwise about your first team squad.

You're right though, that's not an overhaul. I should've just said I expect Chelsea to still be active in the transfer market and spend a lot of money.

Wouldn't be surprised if the PL teams spend well over £1bil this summer (current record is £870mil).

Yeah that's basically what I meant.

Chelsea need small tinkering to the squad, find they won't come cheap but it's not an overhaul.

I see £1b spend. Leicester with potential CL money is another thing to consider too. City or United are likely to be the biggest spenders in the transfer window though.
Original post by jam277
Yeah that's basically what I meant.

Chelsea need small tinkering to the squad, find they won't come cheap but it's not an overhaul.

I see £1b spend. Leicester with potential CL money is another thing to consider too. City or United are likely to be the biggest spenders in the transfer window though.

I don't think Leicester will overstretch themselves. A lot of their players will want new contracts and if they finish 4th then they might not even get through the qualifying round.

I can see:

Man City - 150mil
Man Utd - 150mil
Chelsea - 50-100mil
Liverpool - 100mil
Arsenal - 50mil
Spurs - 50mil

That alone would be 600mil and the other 14 clubs would easily make up 400mil+

Going to be crazy..
I don't think Leicester will overstretch themselves. A lot of their players will want new contracts and if they finish 4th then they might not even get through the qualifying round.

I can see:

Man City - 150mil
Man Utd - 150mil
Chelsea - 50-100mil
Liverpool - 100mil
Arsenal - 50mil
Spurs - 50mil

That alone would be 600mil and the other 14 clubs would easily make up 400mil+

Going to be crazy..

lol'd at Arsenal spending £50mill

we wont spend more than £15 mill (some unknown Homegrown wünderkid), and will unveil Chuba, Hayden, Zelalem as the returning prodigal sons.
Original post by swirly
lol'd at Arsenal spending £50mill

we wont spend more than £15 mill (some unknown Homegrown wünderkid), and will unveil Chuba, Hayden, Zelalem as the returning prodigal sons.

Ozil and Sanchez points to otherwise.
Ozil and Sanchez points to otherwise.

we cant lure big players. we can only wait for them to be forced out and then pounce on them.

Bale -> Madrid was nailed on. So Ozil/ Di Maria were gunna be forced out

Suarez -> Barca was nailed on. So Alexis/ Pedro were gunna be forced out.

Madrid wont be getting rid of anyone because of their upcoming transfer ban, and with Barca only being in the market for a CB and LB, there is no one for us to pounce on.

Arsenal will not sign a demi galactico this summer.

Latest