The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pimped Butterfly
How was Sakho not a decent purchase? Kolo wasn't a purchase as such but he's been good-great too.

Glen Johnson was also a good purchase. His last two years were dire (and I was probably his biggest hater, in the face of opposition from, ironically, you) but he was the Messi of fullbacks for his first two seasons and generally decent until 2014. Aurelio was a good purchase too.'

I'm fine with just a left back coming in, don't care if it's Smith or Moreno that leaves (ideally Moreno because we could get most of our money back).

I'm probably being too generous to Clyne and too harsh on Sakho but I think the jury is still out on both of them. Sakho's had a lot of injury problems which has affected his consistency. I really like him but I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp bins him within the next couple of seasons?

Toure was a good signing for his role and actually has played more games than I expected but then he's never made himself first choice.

Aurelio had too many injuries too.

Haha I didn't want to bring up Johnson as a success since I thought you might take issue :colondollar: Obviously a very marmite player for his Liverpool career.

Should be an interesting summer but I feel like it might be pretty frustrating with so many English clubs all trying to buy a lot of players.
Original post by Zerforax
I'm probably being too generous to Clyne and too harsh on Sakho but I think the jury is still out on both of them. Sakho's had a lot of injury problems which has affected his consistency. I really like him but I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp bins him within the next couple of seasons?

Toure was a good signing for his role and actually has played more games than I expected but then he's never made himself first choice.

Haha I didn't want to bring up Johnson as a success since I thought you might take issue :colondollar: Obviously a very marmite player for his Liverpool career.

Should be an interesting summer but I feel like it might be pretty frustrating with so many English clubs all trying to buy a lot of players.

Yeah I agree with all of that to be honest.
There's like 10 Luke quotes on the topic lol

As for Aqib's, smh. Worst of the lot. Dunno what logic was behind that

Shut up fam Moreno looked sick

Posted from TSR Mobile
May as well make Smith the bench option instead of Moreno, and cash in on Alberto for 10m. I'm not a huge fan of Smith and never have been. Moreno is still better than him at keeping possession in those mini-games that often happen out wide, and Smith's technical ability is probably not good enough to make it long term imo.

But Smith is at least not a liability at both ends of the pitch.

I think the difference between Smith and Moreno is the former's footballing brain. For a start, it actually seems like he has one - or at least the makings of one.

Under Klopp's guidance and decent coaching, there's no reason that shouldn't become even stronger.

Moreno - time and time again - seems a man caught between extremes and he's very rabbit in the headlights.
Yeah I agree with all of that to be honest.

Just a word on Johnson: one thing - despite him frustrating me week in, week out from 2011 onwards - that was a positive was his ability to be a nuisance.

If he got forward, teams would have to think about him and they'd get worried.

Moreno doesn't do that. In fact, teams defending against us probably take solace when he gets the ball.
Original post by Mackay
Just a word on Johnson: one thing - despite him frustrating me week in, week out from 2011 onwards - that was a positive was his ability to be a nuisance.

If he got forward, teams would have to think about him and they'd get worried.

Moreno doesn't do that. In fact, teams defending against us probably take solace when he gets the ball.

Yep Johnson playing always meant one opposition player went to him if not two. I think Moreno worries teams more than Clyne who's offered nothing from an attacking point of view so far?
Good old Suarez tearing a new one for Gary Neville.
Yep Johnson playing always meant one opposition player went to him if not two. I think Moreno worries teams more than Clyne who's offered nothing from an attacking point of view so far?

But at least Clyne gives us more at the back. Moreno's brain dead moments just makes me pine for Flanagan. There's no reason the three of them - Moreno, Smith and Flanagan - can't get good game time given the intensity of our schedule. Let's hope the competition leads all three to improve.
Original post by DiceTheSlice

Was just gonna post about that.

God, do we miss him. Great to see him flourishing at Barcelona though, 35 goals in 33 appearances this season! :congrats:
Original post by DiceTheSlice

Weird how Suarez could cost Neville his job, thus giving Rafa employment!
Original post by Mackay
But at least Clyne gives us more at the back. Moreno's brain dead moments just makes me pine for Flanagan. There's no reason the three of them - Moreno, Smith and Flanagan - can't get good game time given the intensity of our schedule. Let's hope the competition leads all three to improve.

Maybe a stint on the bench will do Moreno the world of good, it'll give him the chance to get himself together. Having said that, the problem isn't a bad run of form as Moreno is regulalry caught out ball watching and being ineffective on both sides of the pitch. For every good performance there's 5 mediocre ones and quite frankly if we want to excel in the league and cup competitions we don't need a liabilty like him. If his performances don't improve I won't be surprised if he leaves this summer. In all honesty I wouldn't mind if we can get a decent fee for him. Also, he's turning 24 this summer too so it's not like he's still a kid who has ample time to improve.
Original post by The.Joker
Maybe a stint on the bench will do Moreno the world of good, it'll give him the chance to get himself together. Having said that, the problem isn't a bad run of form as Moreno is regulalry caught out ball watching and being ineffective on both sides of the pitch. For every good performance there's 5 mediocre ones and quite frankly if we want to excel in the league and cup competitions we don't need a liabilty like him. If his performances don't improve I won't be surprised if he leaves this summer. In all honesty I wouldn't mind if we can get a decent fee for him. Also, he's turning 24 this summer too so it's not like he's still a kid who has ample time to improve.

To be honest, it's the brain farts which concern me most. The penalty at Norwich - and the manner in which he conceded it - will probably always be my lasting memory of Moreno, regardless of what he does in the future. I was so gobsmacked and irate.
Joel Matip's a done deal, joining on a Free in the Summer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reports surfacing that Teixeira (Alex, not Joao) will be going to China.
Original post by PetrosAC
Joel Matip's a done deal, joining on a Free in the Summer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pleased if that is done (not that I know anything about Matip)

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15117/10120625/who-is-joel-matip-a-profile-of-the-schalke-04-defender-set-for-liverpool-move

Favourable report from Sky Sports though.

Original post by Mackay
Reports surfacing that Teixeira (Alex, not Joao) will be going to China.

If he does move to China, you know it will be for HUGE money.
Pleased if that is done (not that I know anything about Matip)

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15117/10120625/who-is-joel-matip-a-profile-of-the-schalke-04-defender-set-for-liverpool-move

Favourable report from Sky Sports though.

If he does move to China, you know it will be for HUGE money.

I've been hearing that it's a £37m move for Teixeira, which is ridiculous considering they wanted us to meet his release clause
I've been hearing that it's a £37m move for Teixeira, which is ridiculous considering they wanted us to meet his release clause

Sounded like they initially encouraged a move, then said they wanted 50mil euros and then said they wanted 70mil euros.

I don't think we ever offered anything close to 50mil euros? I'd be surprised if we had offered more than 35mil euros.

Surely that figure isn't right.
Sounds like a nonsense story to me.

Why go to China when English clubs are after you?
Original post by Lúcio

£££££££££££££££££££££££
Sounded like they initially encouraged a move, then said they wanted 50mil euros and then said they wanted 70mil euros.

I don't think we ever offered anything close to 50mil euros? I'd be surprised if we had offered more than 35mil euros.

I don't think we did either. I'm still hoping we can snap him up quickly in the summer so he has time to settle in.

Original post by Lúcio

I'll be shocked if he goes to China, but I guess it depends how much they're offering him in wages.

Latest