The Student Room Group

Final year of uni stresss!! =( helpppp

LONG STORY SHORT... I suffer from a mental condition that practically takes over my life. It has affected my social life and work life and since i've started uni.. my uni life. It's little things like trying to memorise and absorb in knowledge for exams and I lack on the ability to focus for a long period of time. The first year I failed one module, but due to the fact it was a marginal fail I got compensated on my extenuating circumstance. Second year, I have just about managed to scrape. I too failed a module which is yet to be compensated (given in medical notes). However, I feel like my studies are getting on top of me and I have this negative thought that I might actually fail a module this time round. Can Uni compensate me 3rd time round? My uni accepts compensation for marginal fails provided that extenuating circumstance is given in. (in order not to retake that module). DO you think they will compensate me in the 3rd year for a) its the last year b) my medical condition??? I REALLY NEED SOME RELIEFFF!! any advice will be helpful... Particularly those who have been in my situation before.
Reply 1
Original post by ellay
LONG STORY SHORT... I suffer from a mental condition that practically takes over my life. It has affected my social life and work life and since i've started uni.. my uni life. It's little things like trying to memorise and absorb in knowledge for exams and I lack on the ability to focus for a long period of time. The first year I failed one module, but due to the fact it was a marginal fail I got compensated on my extenuating circumstance. Second year, I have just about managed to scrape. I too failed a module which is yet to be compensated (given in medical notes). However, I feel like my studies are getting on top of me and I have this negative thought that I might actually fail a module this time round. Can Uni compensate me 3rd time round? My uni accepts compensation for marginal fails provided that extenuating circumstance is given in. (in order not to retake that module). DO you think they will compensate me in the 3rd year for a) its the last year b) my medical condition??? I REALLY NEED SOME RELIEFFF!! any advice will be helpful... Particularly those who have been in my situation before.

Hello :smile:

I am sorry to hear of your mental condition and I hope you are well. I am not sure myself on what to say in response to your post because I don't have much knowledge on this situation, but I was wondering if you have spoken to your academic tutor about the issue. You could also speak to a helpful member of staff at the student life centre if your university has one or just somewhere where student support is offered, hopefully then that way they will give you advice on what to do so that you are able to get your extenuating circumstances if they think you need it.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
They may well compensate your grades to enable a pass if your medical circumstances support it. They have done up to now.

When they have done so in year one, was your overall pass grade capped or just edged over from a fail to a pass? If the latter is the case would that mean you are in line to pass with a 3rd. Are you okay with that?
Reply 3
Original post by CCC75
They may well compensate your grades to enable a pass if your medical circumstances support it. They have done up to now.

When they have done so in year one, was your overall pass grade capped or just edged over from a fail to a pass? If the latter is the case would that mean you are in line to pass with a 3rd. Are you okay with that?

Hey, thank you for your response. My overall grade was a pass, as the compensation is deemed as grade 16 (pass). If God gives me the strength I need I can hopefully come out of this with a BAHons degree. And if I fail a module or two with no hopes of compensation, it may well be an ordinary degree. 😖 Which I hope it doesn't get to that.
Reply 4
Original post by 408655
Hello :smile:

I am sorry to hear of your mental condition and I hope you are well. I am not sure myself on what to say in response to your post because I don't have much knowledge on this situation, but I was wondering if you have spoken to your academic tutor about the issue. You could also speak to a helpful member of staff at the student life centre if your university has one or just somewhere where student support is offered, hopefully then that way they will give you advice on what to do so that you are able to get your extenuating circumstances if they think you need it.

Good luck :smile:

Thank you very much for your reply. I need all the luck I can get!! I am yet to get a response from the academics, they do support sectors within the uni. I've always been afraid of getting help and making full use of the support they provide, I dislike the thought of looking weak to others 😞 But I hold up my white flag up because the stress is eating me up now. I can't quit after coming this far.
I hope your well too!
Thank you for your much needed guidance 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending