The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Need some advice of you all

I have been given identical 280 offers from Anglia Ruskin and Portsmouth for Business & HR but i am completely stuck on what uni to attend as both have qualities and drawbacks. Anglia is much closer and only a 40 min train and 1 hour drive and was a nice area and uni. Portsmouth seems to be the stronger uni in respect to the tables and peoples opinions but is much further away and i will be in an area i have seen little of and i wont be able to go home as often. I'm quite a confident person so i'm not worried about getting lonely or not enjoying it, i just don't know where to go and struggling to find a firm choice from the two!

What would you guys do?
Original post by lucasw17
I have been given identical 280 offers from Anglia Ruskin and Portsmouth for Business & HR but i am completely stuck on what uni to attend as both have qualities and drawbacks. Anglia is much closer and only a 40 min train and 1 hour drive and was a nice area and uni. Portsmouth seems to be the stronger uni in respect to the tables and peoples opinions but is much further away and i will be in an area i have seen little of and i wont be able to go home as often. I'm quite a confident person so i'm not worried about getting lonely or not enjoying it, i just don't know where to go and struggling to find a firm choice from the two!

What would you guys do?

Hi, don't forget that at the end of the day you are the only one who is going to have to go through 3 or more years at either university, so basing your decision on league tables may not give you the best answer.
Judging from this brief paragraph, correct me if I'm wrong but you appear to be somewhat more familiar (and may be happier) with Anglia Ruskin and its surrounding area - on that basis I would say choose Anglia. You may be just on your comfort zone's edge so you can test the waters without falling head first into the deep end (random swimming analogy :biggrin:)

On the other hand if you really like new experiences and you are as confident as you say (and you don't get too homesick), choose Portsmouth. The advantage of living further away is that you are not expected to go home as often that way you won't miss out on student events in Portsmouth and you can learn to become more independent.

If you can , go and visit both universities again and definitely visit the surrounding areas nearby, ask yourself:
- Could I adapt to this easily?
- Do I like the people, the local environment, the available public/university facilities?
- Will I quickly get bored of this place?

Also speak to students because they can give some advice.

Best of luck in your decision! :smile:
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending