The Student Room Group

My dad told me his honest feelings

I was home over the holidays and I was stressed about my exams and other projects i have going on. I told him I didn’t know what to do about it. And even when i ask him this i realise I don’t listen to him, i just bulldoze him with my feelings. Later on, i was lying on the floor and he joined me. He said that he is afraid to bring up certain discussions with me, that there are topics that he feels are off limits. If he tries to being them up he needs to prepare me in advance. All of them weather it is money or careers or grades or planning holidays all pertain to the future. And when he tries to get me to deal with them I shutdown and we can’t talk about it for another week.
I was shocked when he said this, because i never realised i do this. But i can see it now. I hate making decisions, i’m scared of making the wrong ones. I don’t know how to change. I know that I should. It isn’t healthy to not deal with my problems, it’s obviously affecting my Dad.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I was home over the holidays and I was stressed about my exams and other projects i have going on. I told him I didn’t know what to do about it. And even when i ask him this i realise I don’t listen to him, i just bulldoze him with my feelings. Later on, i was lying on the floor and he joined me. He said that he is afraid to bring up certain discussions with me, that there are topics that he feels are off limits. If he tries to being them up he needs to prepare me in advance. All of them weather it is money or careers or grades or planning holidays all pertain to the future. And when he tries to get me to deal with them I shutdown and we can’t talk about it for another week.
I was shocked when he said this, because i never realised i do this. But i can see it now. I hate making decisions, i’m scared of making the wrong ones. I don’t know how to change. I know that I should. It isn’t healthy to not deal with my problems, it’s obviously affecting my Dad.

Talk through decision making strategies with your dad. He's obviously noticed your problem so might have some useful input.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1

Some people find it hard to handle other peoples issues. Seems this way for your dad. Your exams and projects, its good to share, but you do need to sort it out yourself in the end. TSR is also a good for advice on how to be proactive and structure your time better, and the more effort you put in, the grades will come.
Career, that depends, TSR people can give some good career ideas or advice where to go next whether thats an apprenticeship, or uni.
Sharing things with your dad is nice. Its good to be honest. Sure he might not be able to help with the advice as such, but he can still listen though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending