The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Even when we had a world class spine - Reina, Carragher, Alonso, Gerrard, Torres - we didn't win the league.
Original post by Mackay
Even when we had a world class spine - Reina, Carragher, Alonso, Gerrard, Torres - we didn't win the league.

only because SAF got into Rafa's head and he bottled it
Original post by swirly

We just drew too many games.

In a sequence between end of Nov to the end of Feb, we drew 7 out of 10 games (won the other 3).

Torres missed a third of that league season too.

We didn't have enough depth that season -
Babel played 27 league games
David N'gog played 14 league games
Nabil El Zhar played 15 league games
Original post by swirly

When Rafa lost it we drew the next three games, which should have been sure fire wins.
Our record improved after the facts 'rant'.

United got 90 points that year, had a reigning Ballon D'Or winner in their team, got 14 clean sheets in a row, and we only had Torres + Gerrard concurrently fit for 14 games. We did damn well.
It was the stoppage time winners that won United the league.
Bloody Macheda. SAF was a magician.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
When Rafa lost it we drew the next three games, which should have been sure fire wins.

What about the 31 points from 33 points in the final 11 games? Those were after the "rant" too.

In the 3 draws

Stoke - Torres only played 30 minutes having been coming back from injury
Everton and Wigan got lucky with late equilisers in the 87 and 83 minutes respectively.

A big deal was made about the "rant" and Liverpool blowing a lead but Liverpool had 45 points from 20 games and Man Utd had 38 points from 18 games (i.e. they were potentially up to 44 points from 20 games with the 2 games in hand).

It was only after dropping points in those 3 games that we really started to hit form and score loads of goals and hardly concede.

Man Utd went on an 11 game winning streak in that same period.
Spectacular climb down over ticket prices by FSG. Fair play to them for listening to the fans, and fair play on freezing the prices for not just one - but two seasons.
Big middle finger to those who say protests are useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They help a bit. But does anything actually think that they are reducing/freezing ticket prices because they actually give a **** about the fans, or because or the negative publicity it could potentially have long term?

I would say the only useful way more clubs will heed the supporters demands is if they leave the stadiums empty, but then tourists will just buy the tickets. While the 77th minute thing is to be admired, the fans have already given the club their money for that match, so what do they actually care?

It's good to see mainstream media starting to promote this more though.
So it took fan protests for them to understand this? they raised the ticket prices? no common sense? Also Cat C prices will be more expensive. Don't think they'll care about the club imo. Their transfer strategy will still be the same.
Breaking news: business owners want to make more money
Original post by difeo
Breaking news: business owners want to make more money

Difeo's still a sassy bitch isn't she?
Original post by Lúcio
Difeo's still a sassy bitch isn't she?

Original post by Jimmy Seville
They help a bit. But does anything actually think that they are reducing/freezing ticket prices because they actually give a **** about the fans, or because or the negative publicity it could potentially have long term?

I would say the only useful way more clubs will heed the supporters demands is if they leave the stadiums empty, but then tourists will just buy the tickets. While the 77th minute thing is to be admired, the fans have already given the club their money for that match, so what do they actually care?

It's good to see mainstream media starting to promote this more though.

Of course they are doing it due to the negative publicity/PR - but that's the only way fans can really get at them. It's laughable to expect an entire fanbase to stop attending games, buying merchandise, buying beer at the ground etc. The way the press has sided with the fans on this issue is great, and it has proven crucial.
Original post by Zerforax
World class spines are over-rated. I'd settle for 3-4 world class attacking players :colondollar:

Well they're not. Consider City without Kompany and Yaya.
I didn't realise until I read the match report, but Benteke had 9 shots in that game. 9 shots, 4 on target, 0 goals.

This isn't one of those occasions where the stats don't paint a picture because pretty much every chance he had was a solid one. The man is pure garbage at Liverpool and will never fit at our club.

Don't get me wrong, the guy clearly has quality - he's shown it this season with some lovely goals out of the blue. The problem is that those are all he really scores. He doesn't have the movement or instinct to fit a high energy, slick passing game like ours and it's painfully evident.

I have no doubts Klopp will move him along in the summer and frankly I'd be happy if we managed to get £20m for him.
Original post by Lúcio
I didn't realise until I read the match report, but Benteke had 9 shots in that game. 9 shots, 4 on target, 0 goals.

This isn't one of those occasions where the stats don't paint a picture because pretty much every chance he had was a solid one. The man is pure garbage at Liverpool and will never fit at our club.

Don't get me wrong, the guy clearly has quality - he's shown it this season with some lovely goals out of the blue. The problem is that those are all he really scores. He doesn't have the movement or instinct to fit a high energy, slick passing game like ours and it's painfully evident.

I have no doubts Klopp will move him along in the summer and frankly I'd be happy if we managed to get £20m for him.

will trade you Sanogo for him:redface:
Reply 4638
Sanogo has scored four goals in a game before.

He's also got a vital goal vs BVB in the CL (this is the season after they were CL finalists if I remember correctly).

He's also got that unique chaos factor.

Man will cause havoc in the oppositions area..

..& yours but that's more of an occupational hazard thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio

Giroud or Benteke?

Latest