The Student Room Group

I want to attend university, but I am only 15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by donte
Good for you. If you think its the right think to do, especially with fees probably going up soon. But like a few others have said, you may feel a little out of your depth. Everyone around you will probably be a lot more mature and you will miss out on certain social functions.

At 15 they may give you distance learning or put you with a host family as opposed to staying in halls as well. It depends what course, what college and how mature they think you are.

Best of luck!

Distance learning? Host family? Hall?
Obviously you are not familiar with Cambridge......
Original post by vincrows

I agree, none of these are likely to happen at all. In fact, I've never heard of a host family for a university student.

I think that the OP needs to speak to the admissions tutors about whether he would meet the requirements at the end of fifth year. Although if I were you OP, I'd be prepared for them to say "stay on for a year and get the qualifications".
Reply 22
Original post by vincrows

Original post by Elegantsolution
I agree, none of these are likely to happen at all. In fact, I've never heard of a host family for a university student.

It wasnt specific to Cambridge, but my cousin was given the opportunity to live with a host family for his first year and not in uni residence just to make him more comfortable due to the age gap. They probably arent likely, but in some cases they can be a possibility.
Original post by donte
It wasnt specific to Cambridge, but my cousin was given the opportunity to live with a host family for his first year and not in uni residence just to make him more comfortable due to the age gap. They probably arent likely, but in some cases they can be a possibility.

Not at Cambridge.
And this is Cambridge forum. People post a question specific to Cambridge. :wink:
I might be wrong, but I think Scottish students are usually a bit younger than English ones when they start university. I think starting the course at 17 might be reasonable, but any younger would have several disadvantages. If you are applying for Computer Science, a few things you could do in a gap year would be doing work experience (or getting an actual CS-related job), doing the British Informatics Olympiad (or other programming competitions), and learning more maths (I think just having AH Maths would probably put you at a disadvantage relative to English candidates, who will almost all have both Maths and Further Maths).
Reply 25
Original post by Assan
I went at 16. Wait.

Travel, start a company, get an internship, get a job, enroll in therapy, keep a blog, write some books, indulge a passion, learn a hobby, publish a book, learn a language, build a boat, learn to code.... Just do anything else but more school right now.

I agree with above, i would say sign up still for a deferred entry for 2017 or 2018 (if possible) and in the time pursue further studies, do research at your local university in computer science, work in an internship, do computer science projects for non-profits and charities etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending