The Student Room Group

Breaking βαδ: the journey of a math addict!

:yay:MY (HOPEFULLY SUCCESSFUL) JOURNEY TO A* IN MATHS!:yay:

Hello! Sorry for the terrible joke in the thread title! :ahee:

Seeing other people's encouraging stories has inspired me to share my own, which is perhaps not as conventional as others! I hope that it helps to motivate a few others as well as myself.

Original A-Levels (2007): BBB (including Maths)
Plan for this summer: sit the following units: C3&4, S1&2, and FP1-FP3.
Next summer: M1-M3, and Economics.
A Levels goal: A*A*A[BB] (Maths, Further Maths, Economics)
Ultimate goal: complete a degree in Maths and Economics.

I should have done better in 2007 really, but I was barely in school due to illness and also depression. Still, I marched onto uni (after a working gap year).

I was all over the place with my course choices, eventually decided I would study languages.

Unfortunately, my depression deepened at uni, and I really struggled! It took me far too long to realise I needed to withdraw, but that is what I eventually did!

What followed was a few years of wandering through various jobs like a lost little puppy. I eventually came across a great career opportunity for me, and grasped it with both hands! I have been in my current job for the past two and a half years, and it has been a great experience so far.

HOWEVER, it interrupted another plan I had! When I joined TSR in 2013, I had a plan to sit Maths and Further Maths A Levels and go onto study Maths at uni. The long term plan was to either go into research or become a teacher, depending on how my undergrad studies would go. I only got as far as sitting C1 and C2, before I focussed on applying for my current job.

It made more sense to go for the job at the time, as it provided a much clearer (and quicker) career path than the degree. HOWEVER, while I am happy I made that choice, I have not been able to shake the desire to pursue the degree!

So, I plan to grow my grades in Maths! I will be sitting 7 A Level Maths exams this June (I would sit 10 but I can't get that much time off work!). Over the summer, I will then work through a book which bridges the gap between A Level and undergraduate Maths. Ultimately, I hope to study Maths (maybe combined with Economics) at uni...but for now, I am focussed on this June!

I have not yet been able to start preparing for the exams, but will be providing updates on my progress when I do!

Really sorry for the long post! I wanted to get across the motives behind my study plans, but ended up giving you my life story! :redface: Anyway, I am so excited about this plan, and hope you enjoy following my progress!

Thank you!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Mathaddict

best of luck with your endeavours, man. it's never too late to start fresh :h:
Reply 2
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
best of luck with your endeavours, man. it's never too late to start fresh :h:

It may sound silly, but encouraging posts like these are a huge help! Thank you :hugs:
Reply 3
Original post by Mathaddict
It may sound silly, but encouraging posts like these are a huge help! Thank you :hugs:

Do update regularly. Your story is inspiring :smile:
Reply 4
Okay so I may not be starting on Maths revision until March, but in the meantime, I can still post on what is delaying that: revision for accounting exams!

I am sitting two ACA exams on 7th March: "Financial Accounting and Reporting" (FAR) and "Audit and Assurance" (AA).

Prep for these exams first started in December. I can tell you that I stupidly did not pull my weight on study for these for ages due to a severe case of PROCRASTINATION! It is only in the last couple of weeks that I have pulled my socks up.

I was at college last week for an intensive study week, and did mock exams at the end of the week. I walked out of the mocks thinking I got about 15% in FAR, and 45% in AA. These were my actual results:

FAR: 26%
AA: 64%

The pass mark is 55%. The FAR result is terrible of course, but I fully expected it, having not done enough work before it. I am shocked at AA because I have done NOTHING for that module, but clearly blagging can actually produce results on the rare occasion!

Since then I have been working through some practice questions, but it's been slow. I need to pick up the pace, but it's so hard to maintain enough energy to work a full day AND study on top of it! :sleep:

It doesn't help that I am still wasting precious time procrastinating after work (including loitering on TSR!), so I'm going to change it all tonight!

THE PLAN:
Weekdays: wake up at 6.30am, get into work for 8am, and study for 1.5 hours before work. Then study from 6pm until 10.30pm in the evening. Get a ~7 hour sleep in. Lather, rinse, repeat!

Weekends: study from 9am-9pm (with appropriate breaks in between), aiming to get a good 10 hours in. Do a mock for each module on Sundays!

That's it now! My social life is officially over until these exams are out the way! I know I can achieve passes, and perhaps even a decent mark in AA - just need to put in the work!
Reply 5
So, how much have I done since my last post?

BUGGER ALL! :cry2:

I decided I was way too tired to get anything done on Friday night, so sent myself into a gin-coma instead. I then spent yesterday monged out on the sofa watching the Goldbergs and Dance Moms, before dragging myself out to the Marina and the Diamonds gig, where I was approached by a blonde beauty. I had to inform her she was completely barking up the wrong tree, and that a Marina gig is probably not the best place to try and find a straight guy...

NONE OF THAT WAS WAS THE STUDY I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE GETTING ON WITH THOUGH! I need to sort myself out, and fast!

TODAY: redemption. Attempt at least 5 questions from each module. STARTING NOW! :run:
Reply 6
I have been neglecting this thread, but mainly because my mum got pneumonia a couple of weeks ago, which has been a major distraction! I almost deferred these exams, but ended up deciding that I could do enough work to sit them now...will I regret that decision? MAYBE! :bawling:

The exams are on MONDAY! :zomg::eek3:

It's FULL ON PANIC MODE time! I have just taken a short break to post this, and will be getting straight back into study!

I have had an intensive revision week at college this week, which has been a HUGE help! Did two more mocks, and got these results:

FAR: 45%
AA: 65%

I'm getting closer to the pass mark on FAR! Considering those exams were on Wednesday as well, I have put in a lot of work since then so feel like I may be able to sneak the pass - MAYBE! AA is pretty much the same as last time, and that is EVEN THOUGH I was in a lazy mood and ended up running out of time, missing out on 20 marks that way...which I will make sure I do NOT do on Monday!

So I have a number of practice questions to cover off tonight from both textbooks, and then tomorrow and Sunday will be dedicated to as many mocks as I can physically do, focussing more on FAR.

I CAN DO THIS!

...okay back to work I go!
Hey there @Mathaddict

Hope your mum is recovering? :console:

Hope your exam on Monday was ok!
Reply 8
Original post by Tank Girl
Hey there @Mathaddict

Hope your mum is recovering? :console:

Hope your exam on Monday was ok!

Aww thank you! :hugs:

The great news is that my mum is mostly better now :smile:

As for the exams? Well I definitely felt better about them than the mocks, but it was still time-pressured and I didn't manage to cover everything...I am hoping I did enough, but will not know until April 15th so will try to forget about them until then!

I also got to enjoy a much needed post-exams trip to Berlin which was so much fun! Such a great city!

Now that I'm back, I can focus on my Maths journey! Yay :dance:
Reply 9
Day one

My maths journey starts now! I have already set out a plan, which starts today. I will be mostly using examsolutions.net to help me (that guy is a saint), as it is all broken down quite nicely there.

Even though I am not sitting C1 and C2 (already have them in the bank from a few years back), I need to start from scratch...it has been a few years since I looked at Maths after all! My plan for this week is to therefore try and whizz through all the C1 content, in this order (sections as per examsolutions):

15-Mar C1 Prior knowledge
16-Mar C1 Algebra and functions 1 (Indices-Factorising)
17-Mar C1 Algebra and functions 2 (Completing square-Inequalities)
18-Mar C1 Sketching curves
19-Mar C1 Sequences and series + Coordinate geometry
20-Mar C1 Differentiation + Integration

That means tonight I will get through all the "prior knowledge" videos which recap GCSE concepts. Starting nnnnnnnnnnnnnow! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Wait so if you're training as an accountant, why bother with a degree?
Reply 11
Original post by A$aprocky
Wait so if you're training as an accountant, why bother with a degree?

Fair question to ask, and I'd be wondering the same to be honest!

Essentially, I know this is not the career path I want. However, I have invested so much time in the accounting qualification so far, that I may as well finish it. It would also be a chance for me to prove to myself that I can see something through, and give me a huge confidence boost.

The degree is therefore not to try and make advances in my current career; it is the chance for me to pursue something I enjoy. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending