The Student Room Group

Internet friends

What would it take to transition from internet friend into non-virtual friend?

How would somebody know to trust them?

Even if they are who they say they are, their personality could all be an act. But then again, someone you meet irl could be putting on an act too.
Meeting in person probably but if you're under 18 be super careful! And obviously stay safe online and especially when meetin in real life :smile:
u tell em
Original post by Blondie987
Meeting in person probably but if you're under 18 be super careful! And obviously stay safe online and especially when meetin in real life :smile:

I mean at what point do you think, 'okay I can trust this person enough to meet irl'?
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
What would it take to transition from internet friend into non-virtual friend?

How would somebody know to trust them?

Even if they are who they say they are, their personality could all be an act. But then again, someone you meet irl could be putting on an act too.

I have a huge number of internet friends. Ideally, you should look to become as close as possible with them online before arranging to meet. Usually, after a while, if people are really close with you they don't act. Take things at the slower person's pace. Then, when you are both ready, arrange something. Video call using facetime or skype though, just so you know they are genuine and not catfishing images from google. Really do look into their profiles.
0/10

wouldn't tell my grandkids
I mean at what point do you think, 'okay I can trust this person enough to meet irl'?

Probably after you've learned a lot about them, real name, age, know what they look like. On tsr probably someone you've pmed multiple times but even then you do need to be really careful :smile:
Original post by Blondie987
Probably after you've learned a lot about them, real name, age, know what they look like. On tsr probably someone you've pmed multiple times but even then you do need to be really careful :smile:

Everyone seems really open.

Not sure if I'd be so trusting... I guess it depends where the meet up would be.

I'm just curious.
Everyone seems really open.

Not sure if I'd be so trusting... I guess it depends where the meet up would be.

I'm just curious.

I think a lot of it depends on age tbh, personally I feel a lot more open to meeting up with someone online than I would have a couple of years ago :smile:
i'd skype call to make sure they look the way they say they do.

Um but yeah I don't know, if you're comfortable with each other then go for it :biggrin:

meet in a busy area though :smile:
Must have been traumatic.
I've met up with friends irl that I met online before. I always brought a friend along with me and met in a public place, I'd made sure I'd known them quite a while too. I'm still friends with a few of them, not everyone is going to be the same irl than online; body language, tone of voice and general habits all suddenly play a part in how compatible you actually are. If you're both up for meeting and you both feel safe to do so, why not though? Not a whole lot to lose really.
Original post by Katarvi
I've met up with friends irl that I met online before. I always brought a friend along with me and met in a public place, I'd made sure I'd known them quite a while too. I'm still friends with a few of them, not everyone is going to be the same irl than online; body language, tone of voice and general habits all suddenly play a part in how compatible you actually are. If you're both up for meeting and you both feel safe to do so, why not though? Not a whole lot to lose really.

Spoiler

I've never Skyped any of my Internet friends. I bumped into two of them on different occasions which was pretty cool. This was all many moons ago though. One of them claimed to go to my college, I didn't believe him, then a couple days layer I ran into him in the library - we don't talk anymore though.

I used to talk to my best friend on habbo hotel and then MSN, I was running late to college one day and saw him at the bus stop. We've been close friends ever since.

I became friends with a girl on a dating site once, she casually messaged me to say hi and we started talking. She invited me to her birthday dinner that year and 9 years later we are still friends. All her friends found the story of how we met pretty weird, since its not everyday you make friends this way.

I have two more Internet friends I'm yet to meet. I have no doubts about them. I've been talking to them for about 10 years + and I seem to have very good judgment when it comes to people I meet online. I have loads of other friends I met at school, college and university though, many of which do not know the real stories behind how I met my net friends (it's much easier this way).

In this day and age I'd advise you to use Skype if you are uncertain just be to sure. Good luck.

Spoiler

Hahah

Yep, no reason it shouldn't. Worst case scenario maybe you don't flow as well as you did online or you/they misrepresented themselves, that's no big deal though, either keep the friendship purely online or drop 'em. I met up with an online friend back in December who was just awful, but that was partly on me because I'd built up my own idea of who they were in my mind and unfortunately they were the complete opposite and not my type of person at all. Sucks, but life goes on. :biggrin:
Original post by Katarvi
Hahah

Yep, no reason it shouldn't. Worst case scenario maybe you don't flow as well as you did online or you/they misrepresented themselves, that's no big deal though, either keep the friendship purely online or drop 'em. I met up with an online friend back in December who was just awful, but that was partly on me because I'd built up my own idea of who they were in my mind and unfortunately they were the complete opposite and not my type of person at all. Sucks, but life goes on. :biggrin:

~So much to look forward to eh?

Thanks, it was interesting to read your input :wink:
~So much to look forward to eh?

Thanks, it was interesting to read your input :wink:

Oh yes. Friends come and go, but TSR is forever? :^_^:

You're most welcome! :top2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending