The Student Room Group

Best medical admissions test prep?

***I posted this in a different forum and someone told me to move it here but I couldn't figure out how to move a thread so I'm just reposting it***

Hi,

American here, but I was wondering what books and/or resources are the best to prepare for the UKCAT and BMAT? Are the kaplan courses any good (I'd be doing the self-study ones) or should I just stick with buying practice books? If so, which ones aren't full of mistakes? I've read quite a few reviews talking about these books being riddled with mistakes and since Amazon doesn't always have all of them available in the USA, I'd have to pay for international shipping to get them from the UK so I don't want them to be useless! Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Original post by lpapadakis
***I posted this in a different forum and someone told me to move it here but I couldn't figure out how to move a thread so I'm just reposting it***

Hi,

American here, but I was wondering what books and/or resources are the best to prepare for the UKCAT and BMAT? Are the kaplan courses any good (I'd be doing the self-study ones) or should I just stick with buying practice books? If so, which ones aren't full of mistakes? I've read quite a few reviews talking about these books being riddled with mistakes and since Amazon doesn't always have all of them available in the USA, I'd have to pay for international shipping to get them from the UK so I don't want them to be useless! Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

I think Medify is hard to beat. Its online so you can get used to doing it under timed conditions on the computer and no pesky shipping charges. Check if you can get it in America.
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
I think Medify is hard to beat. Its online so you can get used to doing it under timed conditions on the computer and no pesky shipping charges. Check if you can get it in America.

Ok, I'll definitely look into it! Would you happen to know the cost per course (roughly)? It's not online because the site says it's undergoing updates. Would you say this is better than Kaplan?
Ok, I'll definitely look into it! Would you happen to know the cost per course (roughly)? It's not online because the site says it's undergoing updates. Would you say this is better than Kaplan?

It depends how long you pay for (a week, two weeks etc). Hopefully someone who has used it more recently can tell you better but if I remember correctly it was about twenty or thirty pounds depending on length.
It probably won't be up until nearer the testing dates. There isn't much point revising for more than a few weeks before your test.
I never used Kaplan so I can't really compare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Ok, so here's the three programs I've found that I might consider doing to prep for the BMAT and UKCAT, so if anyone can recommend one over the other, that'd be great!

BMAT:
Kaplan, medify, or BMAT Ninja?

UKCAT:
Kaplan or medify?

I've heard kaplan is better for the UKCAT than the BMAT, that medify used in conjunction with the kaplan book is also good for the UKCAT, and that BMAT ninja is better than the other BMAT courses--is this a correct assumption? Also BMAT ninja and medify are WAY cheaper than kaplan, but just want ot make sure they're worth it since there still is a currency exchange rate of about 1.5 (ish) USD=1 british pound!

I really need good scores since I'd be an international applicant, so any recommendations would be great! Also I was planning on starting prep in August since my year round school is one of the top private HS in the USA (#1 second year in a row!) and free time is very limited since our academics are so challenging, is this too early?
Reply 5
I only did the UKCAT but Medify was pretty good - I wish I discovered it much earlier because I wasn't able to make full use of it.

Hi,

Thanks!

There are some books online which are really useful
The Kaplan UKCAT book which I believe is around £14-18
You can also purchase the ultimate UKCAT guide: 1000 practice questions also at a similar price.
I used medify which I highly recommend however, for abstract reasoning, I think Kaplan is the better reflection.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Bloom77
There are some books online which are really useful
The Kaplan UKCAT book which I believe is around £14-18
You can also purchase the ultimate UKCAT guide: 1000 practice questions also at a similar price.
I used medify which I highly recommend however, for abstract reasoning, I think Kaplan is the better reflection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you say kaplan is the better reflection, do you mean the kaplan book or the kaplan course?
Reply 8
Also, does anyone recommend a BMAT book? Ideally, I would like to take a course for each test and then have one book to supplement each online course for both the UKCAT and BMAT. It looks like Kaplan's UKCAT is the best and the 1000 UKCAT Practice Questions could be a close second, but I haven't heard great things about any BMAT books.
When you say kaplan is the better reflection, do you mean the kaplan book or the kaplan course?

Both
The Kaplan free mock exam online is the best reflection for abstract reasoning in my opinion .
Additionally, I've never used Kaplan apart from doing the free mock exam online which anyone can access.c

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Bloom77
Both
The Kaplan free mock exam online is the best reflection for abstract reasoning in my opinion.
Additionally, I've never used Kaplan apart from doing the free mock exam online which anyone can access.c

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thanks so much. I think I might go with Medify and then use the kaplan book and mock exam just because that combined with a BMAT course and BMAT book would be altogether cheaper than one kaplan course :P
Ok, thanks so much. I think I might go with Medify and then use the kaplan book and mock exam just because that combined with a BMAT course and BMAT book would be altogether cheaper than one kaplan course :P

Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Save your buck. Don't waste your money on courses for medical admissions test, they are useless and won't provide you with any game-changing information. I've been to UKCAT and BMAT courses before, ran by well-known companies like Kaplan to companies endorsed by a royal society. They are all taught by current medical students recruited from medical schools' noticeboards. What they do is they give you an introduction to the tests, run through a few questions with you, give you some time to do a mock, give you the answers and finish off with some chatting about their life as a medical student. Unless you are completely oblivious to what the tests are, like how many questions are there in the BMAT and don't care to look them up, then those courses are probably suited for you.

Best way to prepare for the tests are through books and online. A UKCAT book I would recommend is the KAPLAN UKCAT book. A BMAT book I would recommend is the Uni Admissions The Ultimate BMAT Guide. For a good bank of UKCAT questions, subscribe to Medify. To be honest, for the UKCAT, a Medify subscription is all you need.
Reply 13
Original post by Vodka
Save your buck. Don't waste your money on courses for medical admissions test, they are useless and won't provide you with any game-changing information. I've been to UKCAT and BMAT courses before, ran by well-known companies like Kaplan to companies endorsed by a royal society. They are all taught by current medical students recruited from medical schools' noticeboards. What they do is they give you an introduction to the tests, run through a few questions with you, give you some time to do a mock, give you the answers and finish off with some chatting about their life as a medical student. Unless you are completely oblivious to what the tests are, like how many questions are there in the BMAT and don't care to look them up, then those courses are probably suited for you.

Best way to prepare for the tests are through books and online. A UKCAT book I would recommend is the KAPLAN UKCAT book. A BMAT book I would recommend is the Uni Admissions The Ultimate BMAT Guide. For a good bank of UKCAT questions, subscribe to Medify. To be honest, for the UKCAT, a Medify subscription is all you need.

Ok, thanks for the help! I think Medify, Kaplan book, and that BMAT book you just mentioned would be more than enough. So no to the BMAT ninja online subscription? It seems like it's similar to medify but better for the BMAT whereas Medify is better for the UKCAT.
Reply 14
Ok, thanks for the help! I think Medify, Kaplan book, and that BMAT book you just mentioned would be more than enough. So no to the BMAT ninja online subscription? It seems like it's similar to medify but better for the BMAT whereas Medify is better for the UKCAT.

I never tried the BMAT ninja so I can't really give you my review on their product. I don't think any online question bank for the BMAT is any good practice since the BMAT is a pen and paper test. Medify is so effective for the UKCAT because the UKCAT is a computerised test, where Medify really simulates the test condition. Best to practice the BMAT on paper so you can get used to answering questions that way, that's where past papers come in!
Reply 15
Hello again on the right thread! I think bmat ninja do a free trial area so have a look and see what you think first. The above poster is right in that ukcat online practice is invaluable as you get a feel for the real thing; the value in bmat ninja is the explanations of everything rather than practice questions. Re timing, I was a bit last minute as I was finishing my masters dissertation, so I did 2.5 weeks ukcat practice for about 3 hours a day (I have a long commute!) and a month's bmat practice, with one week of 5/6 hours a day. However, I hadn't studied science for over ten years so spent most of that time relearning it! On both tests you need to get comfortable with the speed, it's incredibly fast. Its also worth doing a week or so of prep and then doing a practice test to see which are your areas to focus on. Good luck!
Reply 16
Original post by Vodka
I never tried the BMAT ninja so I can't really give you my review on their product. I don't think any online question bank for the BMAT is any good practice since the BMAT is a pen and paper test. Medify is so effective for the UKCAT because the UKCAT is a computerised test, where Medify really simulates the test condition. Best to practice the BMAT on paper so you can get used to answering questions that way, that's where past papers come in!

I agree....Medify seems really good for UKCAT (probably because its computer based)......but I've heard paper based practice is best for BMAT. Apart from Past Papers, was considering between Blackstone Course, The BMAT Course and 400 Questions book - any suggestions?
Original post by sm11adt
I agree....Medify seems really good for UKCAT (probably because its computer based)......but I've heard paper based practice is best for BMAT. Apart from Past Papers, was considering between Blackstone Course, The BMAT Course and 400 Questions book - any suggestions?

Hi sm11adt

There are so many different resources available it can be difficult deciding where to invest your time and money!

Obviously I can't claim to be unbiased as we have our own range of BMAT resources but I did just want to say, make sure that what you choose is the most comprehensive and up to date on the market.

As well as our courses and books, which you would have to pay for, we do also have a collection of past papers available for you for free. If that is of interest, you can get them here.

Do give me a shout if you have any questions... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending