The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Howard
According to this the average family doctor is raking in a bit under 100k a year:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11856441/Average-GP-pay-dips-below-100000-for-first-time-in-a-decade.html

What does the average high street solicitor make? Probably less than half that.

It takes a very long time to earn that amount. Surgeons are the rich ones and lawyers in magic circle firms are the rich ones. Honestly, a person shouldn't do medicine and become a doctor for the money because you won't get a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
Having a sustainable income, I agree, is very important. But if you are a typical person doing Medicine you will not end up well-off - you will be able to live a lifestyle that is about average for a working professional. This is what I mean by you would be mad to go into medicine for the money (apart from the fact that you require an actual passion, which you mention quite rightly)

If you want to earn stack-loads of money, do finance or something and get a top job with a big firm. The point I am making is that Junior Docs currently get paid considerably less than Aldi shelf-stackers.

You and I are now friends :wink:
don't do a degree that you think will simply pay you the most
do something you actually enjoy doing
I made the same mistake and I regret it. I took law. there's *way* more to life than money.
Original post by Howard
According to this the average family doctor is raking in a bit under 100k a year:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11856441/Average-GP-pay-dips-below-100000-for-first-time-in-a-decade.html

What does the average high street solicitor make? Probably less than half that.

Yes but how many years does it take to become an "average family doctor"? 10-15 years after medical school. We're talking about all the debts you racked up in medical school, the loans you owe, and sustaining a number of years on an annual pay of circa £22,000 as a junior doctor. Not to mention being completely run into the ground because this government doesn't know how to treat junior docs.

By the time you start making any sort of money like this, your "high street solicitor" will have his house and family. You'll still be looking at how to pay off your debts.

PS if you do law and go into a firm, you will earn a lot more than what the article is saying. Also, bear in mind that the press grossly over exaggerate earnings of doctors.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
It takes a very long time to earn that amount. Surgeons are the rich ones and lawyers in magic circle firms are the rich ones. Honestly, a person shouldn't do medicine and become a doctor for the money because you won't get a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surgeons and lawyers that senior partners in major law firms are exceptions. It's granted that anybody at the top of either the medical or legal profession can make millions.

But, if we compare an average family doctor with an average high street solicitor I'd think that the quack comes out ahead.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Howard
Surgeons and lawyers that senior partners in major law firms are exceptions. It's granted that anybody at the top of either the medical or legal profession can make millions.

But, if we compare an average family doctor with an average high street solicitor I'd think that the quack comes out ahead.

You're entitled to that opinion but I simply don't believe that's true. @Funky_Giraffe makes the point earlier about just how long it takes to get to a stage where you earn £100,000 as a family doctor. They're over-inflated press figures.
sustaining a number of years on an annual pay of circa £22,000 as a junior doctor..

There isn't a single junior doctor on £22,000.
Reply 28
Original post by gabby07
You're entitled to that opinion but I simply don't believe that's true. @Funky_Giraffe makes the point earlier about just how long it takes to get to a stage where you earn £100,000 as a family doctor. They're over-inflated press figures.

Maybe Funky is right. I still think a mid career family doctor will be doing better than a mid career ham n eggs solicitor.
Original post by Etomidate
There isn't a single junior doctor on £22,000.

Anywhere in the region of £22,000-28,000
Original post by Howard
Exactly. Far better profession.

unless they're psychiatrists heehee

also if one person doesn't fill a medical role, someone else will as it's so competitive. so really people who care should do it. not this guy who just wants kudos for being a professional.
Reply 31

Fair enough. Looks like lawyers have a slight edge. I'd still rather be a doc myself.

Off topic but those numbers are very low. I don't know how anybody survives in the UK.
Original post by Howard
Fair enough. Looks like lawyers have a slight edge. I'd still rather be a doc myself.

Off topic but those numbers are very low. I don't know how anybody survives in the UK.

haha yeah you're right...

I too would rather be a doctor but I don't think that's what the discussion is about! :tongue:
Anywhere in the region of £22,000-28,000

Even for a first year junior doctor, you're more likely to be on somewhere around £28,000. There isn't a single junior doctor on £22k.
Even for a first year junior doctor, you're more likely to be on somewhere around £28,000. There isn't a single junior doctor on £22k.

Perhaps you'd like to have a look at this.

F1 Junior Doctor salary: £22,636

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/about/careers-medicine/pay-doctors
Reply 35
I hate it when people **** on other professions when it comes to medicine. OP, if you're not 100% committed to medicine don't do it especially considering the number of years you need to put in. Try and get some work experience in both fields to help you decide.
(edited 8 years ago)
Perhaps you'd like to have a look at this.

F1 Junior Doctor salary: £22,636

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/about/careers-medicine/pay-doctors

That's the base salary without banding, bro.
That's the base salary without banding, bro.

Oh sorry, yeah the extra pay for working Sundays and after 10pm or whatever it is.
Oh sorry, yeah the extra pay for working Sundays and after 10pm or whatever it is.

Kind of, but yes. So quoting £22k is a little misleading.

A lot of that looks very suspect. I'd be surprised if anyone didn't take that with a large pinch of salt.

Latest

Trending

Trending