The Student Room Group

Leaving school after AS year

Hi everyone! I am looking for a music career, I am 100% sure and have been for many years; and I am currently in Year 12. I found a University course at Ravensbourne called Music for Media, and it says you need either 2 A2's or 4 AS's.. Now my question was, would it be a terrible idea to leave school at the end of this year and start my work on films and games and solo music work. This unfortunately would be freelance so I don't know how that would affect the likely hood of it being legitimate. I've had long term health struggles that have in the past made attending school quite difficult.
Original post by MattWardMusic
Hi everyone! I am looking for a music career, I am 100% sure and have been for many years; and I am currently in Year 12. I found a University course at Ravensbourne called Music for Media, and it says you need either 2 A2's or 4 AS's.. Now my question was, would it be a terrible idea to leave school at the end of this year and start my work on films and games and solo music work. This unfortunately would be freelance so I don't know how that would affect the likely hood of it being legitimate. I've had long term health struggles that have in the past made attending school quite difficult.

Hi MattWardMusic,

I am currently an animation student from Ravensbourne. Personally I cannot say whether it is a terrible idea or not as I am also quite music based so I am somewhat aware of the hard work put into practice. However you should keep in mind that anything freelance involves a lot of experience and building a body of work.
As you are currently in year 12 you still have a year of experimenting and building that you can use. If you are still determine to leave school it could be worth looking into doing a foundation which Ravensbourne also offers, this foundation looks in particular at the media side, such as animation film and sound.

Click Here

I hope this has helped,
Jay :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending