The Student Room Group

Presentations and drinking

Scroll to see replies

Original post by College_Dropout
Okay, so I have a few presentations coming up at university. I'm absolutely **** at presentation, when I say im ****, I mean i'm actually ****. Thinking of dropping a few shots before to help loosen me up, anyone done this before?

I would strongly recommend a glass of red over shots
Original post by Saturnine.
I would strongly recommend a glass of red over shots

Cant stand wine
Cant stand wine

Reported.
I can imagine a lot of people complain to the doctors about this, I dont see them prescribing me anything anyone time soon

If you're being serious about the levels of anxiety, then I think you might be surprised. A lot of people feel anxiety about presentations, but they don't consider getting drunk to do them :tongue:
I wouldn't do this if I were you - it's not worth risking getting caught out and then you could be in a whole lot of trouble. If you really struggle that much then go see your GP as they may be able to help.
Okay, so I have a few presentations coming up at university. I'm absolutely **** at presentation, when I say im ****, I mean i'm actually ****. Thinking of dropping a few shots before to help loosen me up, anyone done this before?

When I had to do a presentation in front of my class I had some lager in a lucozade bottle. Remember to drench yourself in body spray and use loads of chewing gum or people will think your an alcoholic. Also, your tutor could get you in trouble if he smells a fresh strong smell as opposed to blaming it on the night before.
Original post by digitalangel18
When I had to do a presentation in front of my class I had some lager in a lucozade bottle. Remember to drench yourself in body spray and use loads of chewing gum or people will think your an alcoholic. Also, your tutor could get you in trouble if he smells a fresh strong smell as opposed to blaming it on the night before.

A bit of gum and no one is going to smell anything, why would you drink lager ?
A bit of gum and no one is going to smell anything, why would you drink lager ?

That's all I had in the flat and it was super strength so no more than half a can was needed, and I wasn't going to go to the off license before hand to get vodka. Clearly nobody did smell anything, even though I was drinking an hour beforehand and I got good marks.

Also you'll probably need half a pack gum if you have vodka, and eat something chocolate or buy a small bottle of mouthwash
(edited 8 years ago)
If need be

totally unrealistic... you think you'll get away with it at work? no, you'll be fired... use this as an opportunity to learn and if you genuinely cannot cope, visit your GP or student counselling service
Original post by Jenx301
I wouldn't do this if I were you - it's not worth risking getting caught out and then you could be in a whole lot of trouble. If you really struggle that much then go see your GP as they may be able to help.

How could I possible get caught?
How could I possible get caught?

- they might smell it on you
- If you drink enough for it to make a difference then people might notice it in your behaviour and voice etc
Reply 31
This reminds me of a high school friend of mine who used to drink to relieve stress - he was easily stressed. Let's just say that I'd advice against doing that...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If it's an anxiety issue, then it's worth speaking to your GP as they might be able to prescribe something to help as well as perhaps suggesting some longer term solutions.

You seem to be suggesting that alcohol is not a long-term solution
Reply 33
If you drink before you present, next time it'll be twice as bad. Just practice it over and over, present to your mum, present to your cat and postman.
I dont think 3 shots will touch the sides, Im thinking at least a quarter bottle of something. May even offer the professors a shot or two.

That's what I was thinking. I've done a whole flask on whiskey and not really felt anything. It really sucks to be honest, getting drunk is bloody expensive and stacks up the calories!
get diazepam, pronto.

Don't drink or take anything for your presentations.

It is perfectly natural to be terrified of presenting!

The way to combat those nerves is to throw yourself into it and not worry about what anyone thinks. In fact, most people are very kind about nervous presenters.

You can start your presentation off with "Sorry, I am a nervous presenter but I will do my best so bear with me..."

Afterwards, you will feel amazing for trying.

I used to be very nervous about presenting to the point I sweated and could barely speak. It was only at work I combated this head on and made myself practice.

The only way to get better is to dive in and throw yourself at it. It will be scary and nervewracking, but the more you do it, the easier it gets :smile:

What is your presentation preparation routine? Do you present it in your room first as a practice? Do you ever present to a friend for their feedback?

And that's a promise.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
ive done this before too just have tto be really really careful.
I can imagine a lot of people complain to the doctors about this, I dont see them prescribing me anything anyone time soon

I doubt they'd give you Beta Blockers because it's not a long-term problem, and it doesn't sound like you have severe anxiety so they wouldn't give you Diazepam (especially because that **** addictive lol).

I wouldn't recommend having a drink tbh, try deep breathing before you go in to do them instead? It's usually the beginning that's the worst, you'll naturally loosen up during it anyway. Good luck though :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by preetg97
I doubt they'd give you Beta Blockers because it's not a long-term problem, and it doesn't sound like you have severe anxiety so they wouldn't give you Diazepam (especially because that **** addictive lol).

I wouldn't recommend having a drink tbh, try deep breathing before you go in to do them instead? It's usually the beginning that's the worst, you'll naturally loosen up during it anyway. Good luck though :smile:

Second this. I always make sure I know what the start and end is perfectly, then the rest is much easier.

For me, I always try to include a related video near the start. That way I get a little breather after the initial intro to collect myself. Always works for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending