The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Am I ? Haha :lol:
Yeah I think it'll be :3

Cool ! You should go to the south someday ! You'll like it :smile:
What was your favorite place ?

Yeahh I'dk ill to be able to study in Germany to help me learn the language, but affording accommodation would be too difficult.

I have a really odd question, in France, are the French slightly ''hostile'' towards learning English? They have one of the worst english-speaking rates amongst European countries and I'm kinda curious as to why :tongue:
Original post by Inexorably
Yeahh I'dk ill to be able to study in Germany to help me learn the language, but affording accommodation would be too difficult.

I have a really odd question, in France, are the French slightly ''hostile'' towards learning English? They have one of the worst english-speaking rates amongst European countries and I'm kinda curious as to why :tongue:

Aw I see :smile:

Ahhhh good question ! So, I can write a book with the answer lol,

The french are SO DAMN LAZY to learn languages, and that's sooo stupid. The thing is, we learn languages at school, but it's a bit depreciate. I mean, n math teacher is always like "math are more important than languages " etc etc (I'm talking about math but you get it , it's the same for other "important" subjects tho)

This "depreciation" starts really early at school, it makes the students does not really care about languages class. Also, when you're really into it and ready to learn (like me) there is absolutely NO WAY you become fluent by learning at school. I had only 1h per week of english, and 1h per week of german. To become fluent in english I had to learn by myself, by reading books and watching movies etc

So, in France except some teachers, and students like med students or marketing students and things like that, a lot of people are faaaaar to become fluent in english ! And that's too bad ><

How about french in UK :smile: ? (Unless you're not from there ?)
Aw I see :smile:

Ahhhh good question ! So, I can write a book with the answer lol,

The french are SO DAMN LAZY to learn languages, and that's sooo stupid. The thing is, we learn languages at school, but it's a bit depreciate. I mean, n math teacher is always like "math are more important than languages " etc etc (I'm talking about math but you get it , it's the same for other "important" subjects tho)

This "depreciation" starts really early at school, it makes the students does not really care about languages class. Also, when you're really into it and ready to learn (like me) there is absolutely NO WAY you become fluent by learning at school. I had only 1h per week of english, and 1h per week of german. To become fluent in english I had to learn by myself, by reading books and watching movies etc

So, in France except some teachers, and students like med students or marketing students and things like that, a lot of people are faaaaar to become fluent in english ! And that's too bad ><

How about french in UK :smile: ? (Unless you're not from there ?)

Ah I see now.

We have exactly the same attitude in the UK, languages are constantly pushed aside and the UK has one of the highest monolingual rates in Europe, because people are i) too ignorant, ii) too lazy or iii) completely uninterested in it. I understand why, as English is fairly global, but the attitude some people have is SO irritating.

I get completely livid whenever someone tells me that "they can just use google translate" >.<

French is still the most(?) or second most popular language GCSE in the UK, but it has been declining for the past god knows how many years.

German is doing even worse, I give it about 10 years before German is almost dead as a foreign language in UK schools.
Cool ! You should go to the south someday ! You'll like it :smile:
What was your favorite place ?

I will:smile:

It's hard to say, there are a lot of interesting places. Where do you live?
Ah I see now.

We have exactly the same attitude in the UK, languages are constantly pushed aside and the UK has one of the highest monolingual rates in Europe, because people are i) too ignorant, ii) too lazy or iii) completely uninterested in it. I understand why, as English is fairly global, but the attitude some people have is SO irritating.

I get completely livid whenever someone tells me that "they can just use google translate" >.<

French is still the most(?) or second most popular language GCSE in the UK, but it has been declining for the past god knows how many years.

German is doing even worse, I give it about 10 years before German is almost dead as a foreign language in UK schools.

That's too bad !! I mean I know english is THE language ! But still, learning new languages is so useful !

Aw in here too german is a bit unpopular ! We have to learn at least 2 languages for the baccalauréat, and english is mandatory, then we have to pick between spanish and german. In my college we were like 600, and only 50 persons took german ! (Including me)

Original post by Thetankman
I will:smile:

It's hard to say, there are a lot of interesting places. Where do you live?

France is a beautiful country :smile:

I live in Paris !
That's too bad !! I mean I know english is THE language ! But still, learning new languages is so useful !

Aw in here too german is a bit unpopular ! We have to learn at least 2 languages for the baccalauréat, and english is mandatory, then we have to pick between spanish and german. In my college we were like 600, and only 50 persons took german ! (Including me)

Ikr, it's a shame that people don't recognise that :frown:

Everyone hates Germany :'(
France is a beautiful country :smile:

I live in Paris !

It is.:smile: Do you like living in Paris?
Ikr, it's a shame that people don't recognise that :frown:

Everyone hates Germany :'(

I agree !!
That's so stupid :/ for example in the baccalauréat, languages does not have a "good" place
For example , I have a scientific baccalauréat , it means I studied math, physics, biology and languages. The coefficients were :
Math : 7
Physics : 6
Biology : 8
English : 3
German : 2
That's a shame :frown: a lot of my friends honestly did not work AT ALL languages for the baccalauréat, when you see the coefficient it sounds useless to work right ? That's why french are so bad at languages >< ..
It is.:smile: Do you like living in Paris?

So damn fantastic !! That's my favorite city in the world ! (For now haha)
Where do u live ?
I agree !!
That's so stupid :/ for example in the baccalauréat, languages does not have a "good" place
For example , I have a scientific baccalauréat , it means I studied math, physics, biology and languages. The coefficients were :
Math : 7
Physics : 6
Biology : 8
English : 3
German : 2
That's a shame :frown: a lot of my friends honestly did not work AT ALL languages for the baccalauréat, when you see the coefficient it sounds useless to work right ? That's why french are so bad at languages >< ..

That sucks so bad :frown: Are there any other 'different'' baccalaureates where languages are ranked higher or not?
That sucks so bad :frown: Are there any other 'different'' baccalaureates where languages are ranked higher or not?

It is , we have an economic baccalauréat , in which languages are at the same coeff than in the scientific one, and we have a litterary (does this word even exist ? Haha) baccalauréat :
French litterature : 4
History + geography : 4
Phylosophy : 8
Languages : 4
Math : 4

But only 30 students per year choose that baccaulérat .. Because it only allows to do journalism or things like teaching, an economic or scientific baccalauréat allow to do these things and much more so that type of baccalauréat is unpopular :s-smilie:
So damn fantastic !! That's my favorite city in the world ! (For now haha)
Where do u live ?

I live in London, sorry I think it's better than Paris:wink:
It is , we have an economic baccalauréat , in which languages are at the same coeff than in the scientific one, and we have a litterary (does this word even exist ? Haha) baccalauréat :
French litterature : 4
History + geography : 4
Phylosophy : 8
Languages : 4
Math : 4

But only 30 students per year choose that baccaulérat .. Because it only allows to do journalism or things like teaching, an economic or scientific baccalauréat allow to do these things and much more so that type of baccalauréat is unpopular :s-smilie:

Literary is the word you're looking for :tongue:.

Ah I see that kinda sucks :frown: that looks like a really interesting bacc (to me) though. Philosophy & Languages = <3
Literary is the word you're looking for :tongue:.

Ah I see that kinda sucks :frown: that looks like a really interesting bacc (to me) though. Philosophy & Languages = <3

Ah oui ! Thanks haha sorry for the fault :P

It is !! I did a bit of phylosophy in my Bac but a tiny bit, too bad I liked it :P
I live in London, sorry I think it's better than Paris:wink:

I'm jealous :cry2: I never been there ! I've friends there but never find time to go :lol:
Hahaha Andy ! <3

Okay right now I'm going to talk to all TSRian guys who tried to hit on me :P
Okay I'm french , and those who saw my pic say I'm pretty etc etc.
Okay I'm single.
But I'm heartbroken and for now there's no place for love in my heart tho.
You all are so cute with me (you know who you are guys <3 ) but for now I'm just me and that's all :wink:

If someone wants to date me seriously , I dare you to take away my pain. (And to guess my name ! Haha)

Voilà voilà je vous aime <3

Dang I'm gone for a couple of days and your already chatting guys up, jeez frenchie 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah oui ! Thanks haha sorry for the fault :P

It is !! I did a bit of phylosophy in my Bac but a tiny bit, too bad I liked it :P

Which philosophers did you cover in your Bac? I would have assumed some of the French ones like Sartre or goddamnit i always forget her name... simone de bouviour or whatever. :tongue:
Original post by WetWolvesBlab
Dang I'm gone for a couple of days and your already chatting guys up, jeez frenchie 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eyyyyy you're baaack <3 !

Hahaha that's not my fault :lol: you did not see anything right now lol, greatguy tried to marry me twice these days , in three differents threads :lol: :lol:

How are u :smile: ?

Hahaha that's not my fault :lol: you did not see anything right now lol, greatguy tried to marry me twice these days , in three differents threads :lol: :lol:

Jeez gurl gimme what you got 😂 I'm good, just been busy with horses and school work 😂🐴

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest