The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Is Italian worth studying?

Hi everyone,

I have applied for a Certificate in Higher Education in Language Studies (Italian) with the Open University and I'm wondering if I have put myself into hot water by doing this, it's 120 credits for the whole year and I have no other commitments e.g. I'm not married, I have no children and I don't work at all, I'm starting to wonder if I'd be better with face-to-face teaching rather than online, because I work better with face-to-face teaching, should I cancel the course?

These are the modules I have applied to do:

L161 Exploring languages and cultures
L195 Andante: beginners' Italian
L185 English for academic purposes online
L150 Vivace: intermediate Italian

I only applied for this course as I wanted to start learning Italian.
(edited 8 years ago)
The OU is not great for languages, there is very little opportunity to practice speaking and listening, there is only so much you learn from a book. It would be a lot cheaper to try and find someone to email you the PDF version of the OU Italian module books, there are Facebook groups you could join and ask. But if you are serious about learning Italian then a face-to-face university course is what you should be aiming for.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Snufkin
The OU is not great for languages, there is very little opportunity to practice speaking and listening, there is only so much you learn from a book. It would be a lot cheaper to try and find someone to email you the PDF version of the OU Italian module books, there are Facebook groups you could join and ask. But if you are serious about learning Italian then a face-to-face university course is what you should be aiming for.

I agree.
Reply 3
Original post by Snufkin

I also agree.
Reply 4
Hi, I have just started the OU languages French and Spanish. I wanted to learn Italian but they say I cannot buy the modules until ext October 2018??? Does anyone have the syllabus of the Andante Italian beginners L195 so at least I could start learning what is needed and then fly through it next October? Great pity as I thought I could buy modules in January 2018. Any help welcomed. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest