The Student Room Group

Didn't so well at GCSE and failing AS

In my GCSE's I got C's and B's and at AS, I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Health and Social Care. The only subject I'm doing decently in is Health and Social Care.
So I'm pretty much failing all my subjects
So like what should I do?
(edited 8 years ago)
Is it you find the subjects hard or you are just not grasping the exam technique?
Helps if we know WHY you think you're failing.
I can point you towards some of my online exam stuff, note that I have units 1-5 for Biology you can use as I made this publicly available a little over 3 years ago. =)

Link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=40242662#post40242662

Note I have put links at the bottom of the first post of every page to allow for easy navigation between threads. =)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Scienceisgood
Is it you find the subjects hard or you are just not grasping the exam technique?
Helps if we know WHY you think you're failing.

I was forced to do chemistry and it's the exam techniques
Reply 4
Original post by Scienceisgood
I can point you towards some of my online exam stuff, note that I have units 1-5 for Biology you can use as I made this publicly available a little over 3 years ago. =)

Link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=40242662#post40242662

Note I have put links at the bottom of the first post of every page to allow for easy navigation between threads. =)

Ah thankyou!
Reply 5
Original post by thea_
I was forced to do chemistry and it's the exam techniques

How can you be forced to do chemistry? What did you get in your science GCSE?
Reply 6
Original post by chikane
How can you be forced to do chemistry? What did you get in your science GCSE?

My dad wanted me to do Chemistry and I did double science and got BB.
Original post by thea_
In my GCSE's I got C's and B's and at AS, I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Health and Social Care. The only subject I'm doing decently in is Health and Social Care.
So I'm pretty much failing all my subjects
So like what should I do?

Ok so,

1) Why do 4 AS-Levels if you only got Cs and Bs.
2) Why do Biology and Chemistry, they are the worst for people who got low in GCSE grades.
3) Did you just pick them random?
Reply 8
Original post by thea_
My dad wanted me to do Chemistry and I did double science and got BB.

That sucks, it might be your exam technique i was always hopeless at exams but great at coursework. Is there no extra classes you can take after school to improve your marks or hire a tutor?
Also studying with the people in your class (especially the brainy ones) will really help.
You might want to drop one of your a-level next year maybe Economics or Health and Social care?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ckfeister
Ok so,

2) Why do Biology and Chemistry, they are the worst for people who got low in GCSE grades.

She said her dad forced her to take chemistry and probably biology and she got a BB at GCSE's.
To those mentioning the "exam technique" excuse - learn the course work and answer the questions correctly in the exam. Works every time. This "I was good at coursework rubbish in exams" is just an indicator of coursework being easy and teachers being soft on you. But when you take the exams and do poorly it is almost always because you don't actually know your stuff.
Reply 11
Original post by chikane
That sucks, it might be your exam technique i was always hopeless at exams but great at coursework. Is there no extra classes you can take after school to improve your marks or hire a tutor?
Also studying with the people in your class (especially the brainy ones) will really help.
You might want to drop one of your a-level next year maybe Economics or Health and Social care?

Ah okay and my plan was to drop economics
Reply 12
Original post by ckfeister
Ok so,

The subjects I'm doing are technically not what I wanted to do
Original post by thea_
The subjects I'm doing are technically not what I wanted to do

Then why are you doing them? If I was you, I'd drop out and go back to the GCSEs get to A/A*s then go back to A-Level and pick what YOU want to do, not what your dad wants you to do. Explain to the school your dad forced you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chikane
She said her dad forced her to take chemistry and probably biology and she got a BB at GCSE's.

w t f this is some f***** up sh**
This is probably a bit defeatist, but if they are subjects you don't like and don't want to do, instead of forcing yourself through it and getting poor grades maybe its better to recognize that its not working and take a risk and change it.
I was in a similar situation last year, I was taking Biology and chem as level because my parents wanted me to do medicine (and I hated both subjects), for the whole year i was miserable, and only scraped a pass for both. I was given the choice of retaking or taking on a whole new a level in my second year. I new how much i would hate retaking so i decided to take on a new subject. It has been extremely hard work but my grades are so much better than if id stayed with those two subjects.
Obviously my experience might be nothing like the situation your in, if your prepared to really work and think you can pull your grades up hard even though the motivation with your subjects is lacking then go for it, its your choice in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest