The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I certainly see the case for keeping Moreno as a LW and deploying someone else at LB (Smith/Gomez (when fit)/someone new), but in defence he's a liability.
Lucas out tomorrow with an injury after taking penalty.
Clyne isn't anxious in the final third, he just has no technique. Moreno is obviously useless at both ends of the pitch. How could anyone advocate him at LW when he has literally no end product
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Clyne isn't anxious in the final third

The reason I say that is because he has a habit of rushing things. He'd clearly rather be anywhere else than picking up the ball, free and out wide, with the expectation of the crowd on him.

In other news, despite the disappointment of Sunday's result, it was great to be at a cup final with our fans supporting our team. I really don't think it'll be our last cup final under Klopp. I actually expect us to be much better in the competitions under Klopp, rather than the PL.
Original post by Mackay
The reason I say that is because he has a habit of rushing things. He'd clearly rather be anywhere else than picking up the ball, free and out wide, with the expectation of the crowd on him.

I don't think he's particularly bad in those situations. He crosses early but the early cross is much better than the late cross if you don't have a decent target in the middle. He's worse when the game is slowed down and he's tasked with stimulating interplay/incision around the edge of their box. His one-footedness and pretty poor rondo ability is what sees him give the ball away pretty easily, and he doesn't have a way dribbling or passing and moving through the defence himself.

He's definitely not good in attack and at various points of the season I've found myself begging for another option at RB but given the decline of the midfield, Benteke, left back and keeper, there's no real need to look at upgrading Clyne right now. Solid player and I'd love to have him in our squad for the next 5 years but against poorer teams we do need a better option.
(edited 8 years ago)
brb

Reply 5146
Original post by Zerforax
Good news if that has finally happened. Will that take him out for a bit now?

I don't know too much about this, but I think it will be a while until he is pain-free (no idea how long that may take). I think he could probably play now and then, as he has done before when there were only tears, but rest would obviously be better until the pain is completely gone.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/26/jordan-henderson-liverpool-capital-one-cup-final

The heel remains a problem but thankfully one of the few known cures a full rupture of the plantar fascia occurred last month against Manchester United, if you can be thankful for the searing pain of tissue tearing away from a bone. It had partially ruptured back at Sunderland in December when Henderson continued after a pain-killing injection at half-time. The hope now is to be able to play pain-free once the heel has adapted to the snapped tendon and that his form recovers in tandem, although the England international refuses to blame recent inconsistency on discomfort in his foot.
(edited 8 years ago)
Clyne isn't anxious in the final third, he just has no technique. Moreno is obviously useless at both ends of the pitch. How could anyone advocate him at LW when he has literally no end product

Means he's further away from the defence so someone else can cover his brain farts.

At LW, he can mindlessly run up and down. Tbh we could use him in a similar way to Sterling currently being used at Man City - used to stretch the pitch rather than having direct contributions regularly.

Anyway it's all moot and pointless since Coutinho and Firmino will always be first choice to play on the left side and then others like Lallana, Ibe and Milner are more likely to play there too.

Original post by llys
I don't know too much about this, but I think it will be a while until he is pain-free (no idea how long that may take). I think he could probably play now and then, as he has done before when there were only tears, but rest would obviously be better until the pain is completely gone.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/26/jordan-henderson-liverpool-capital-one-cup-final

Ah hadn't seen that. Good to know it's finally happened then.
Means he's further away from the defence so someone else can cover his brain farts.

At LW, he can mindlessly run up and down. Tbh we could use him in a similar way to Sterling currently being used at Man City - used to stretch the pitch rather than having direct contributions regularly.

Doesn't have to be on the pitch at all. Sterling has 10 goals this season and probably a decent number of assists.
Doesn't have to be on the pitch at all. Sterling has 10 goals this season and probably a decent number of assists.

Would be good if Klopp started playing Flanagan at LB and Ward at GK to see if it improves our terrible record. Sterling's stats still don't change the fact that in a number of games, his role is to stretch the pitch.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/01/jurgen-klopp-overhaul-liverpool-accounts-mario-gotze

Seems our financials have improved. Not sure what happens with the next set where we don't have CL money coming in.
Not being a dick here or anything but why on earth are Liverpool involved in European Super League talks when they are struggling to get in even the Europa League? Arsenal and Man United shouldn't be there either aswell imo. English teams in Europe have been a joke in the last few seasons.
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
Not being a dick here or anything but why on earth are Liverpool involved in European Super League talks when they are struggling to get in even the Europa League? Arsenal and Man United shouldn't be there either aswell imo. English teams in Europe have been a joke in the last few seasons.

It'll be more about fan base/television/historical prestige than anything.

United/Arsenal/Liverpool are far from successful nowadays but they'd bring in a lot of money and that's the way things work in modern football.

Because we're one of the biggest brand of the English clubs. We have a bigger profile than Arsenal, Spurs etc.

Man Utd obviously have a bigger brand than us. We're probably still ahead of Man City by some way. Hard to judge about Chelsea since they seem to have a lot of overseas fans these days.
Original post by Lúcio
It'll be more about fan base/television/historical prestige than anything.

United/Arsenal/Liverpool are far from successful nowadays but they'd bring in a lot of money and that's the way things work in modern football.

Because we're one of the biggest brand of the English clubs. We have a bigger profile than Arsenal, Spurs etc.

Man Utd obviously have a bigger brand than us. We're probably still ahead of Man City by some way. Hard to judge about Chelsea since they seem to have a lot of overseas fans these days.

The thing about brand makes sense I suppose. Liverpool are one of the most supported clubs in the world. Don't buy the whole history thing though. If that was the case Nottingham Forest would be in at the expense of Chelsea/Arsenal.
I'd go Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Flanagan, Henderson, Allen, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Origi tonight.
Original post by Mackay
I'd go Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Flanagan, Henderson, Allen, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Origi tonight.

Do you think we'll see Ward at all this season? Has Sakho been ruled out? Not sure if Toure will manage another 90 minutes after playing 120 minutes at the weekend.

Maybe drop Firmino for Ibe too since he wasn't great?
Do you think we'll see Ward at all this season? Has Sakho been ruled out? Not sure if Toure will manage another 90 minutes after playing 120 minutes at the weekend.

Maybe drop Firmino for Ibe too since he wasn't great?

Toure didn't really play 120 minutes though, did he? He played 90, because he replaced Sakho.

Firmino strikes me as a player who is best in and around the box, so I'd have him leading the line or playing very close to Origi tonight. The issue with Origi seems to be that he's an impact player, and I'm not sure whether that suits a start or not.

It's probably about time Benteke was used, in all honesty.
The thing about brand makes sense I suppose. Liverpool are one of the most supported clubs in the world. Don't buy the whole history thing though. If that was the case Nottingham Forest would be in at the expense of Chelsea/Arsenal.

True, although our historical success lends to this brand.
I think the difference with Forest is that they're no longer in the PL and they haven't been for a while.

All in all, I doubt it'll happen. It's a nice thought but it's a massive change. On top of that, what would the entry requirements be (because there'd have to be some)?
Do you make it "fair" like in the CL and let second rate Eastern European sides compete or do you only let the best teams/biggest brands in?
Are some of us believing this European super league? it came from the S*N.
Original post by Mackay
Toure didn't really play 120 minutes though, did he? He played 90, because he replaced Sakho.

Firmino strikes me as a player who is best in and around the box, so I'd have him leading the line or playing very close to Origi tonight. The issue with Origi seems to be that he's an impact player, and I'm not sure whether that suits a start or not.

It's probably about time Benteke was used, in all honesty.

Ah good point, forgot he came on after a bit. Wonder if it was tactical to use Lucas or if Kolo wasn't 100% ready to start on Sunday.

Yea I get the feeling both players need a partner to do well.

Benteke must know he's leaving in the summer.. must be plenty of PL clubs who would take him?

Original post by LFC_fan_321
Are some of us believing this European super league? it came from the S*N.

Don't believe it since it's from a **** source but I'm sure the Premier League breakaway seems implausible at the time but money dictates the way. There will be more money for an expanded CL and all the sponsors would probably love it too. It will happen eventually.

Latest