The Student Room Group

People get paid by their parents for doing well?!

I recently found out that some people in my school actually receive money for every A* they get in their GCSEs. One person was saying that they will receive £50 for every A* OR A they achieve in their GCSEs!

Is this common? Will any of you get paid for doing well in your GCSEs, or did you get paid for your GCSE results?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I used to get paid by not getting a slap lmao :rofl:
My parents didn't give me any money for doing well in my GCSEs, they gave me a well done card though :smile:
Woah - £50? :eek: There's this one girl in my year who said she's going to get a tenner for every A she gets. I'm not going to and tbh I don't think many people are anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
My payment was (and still is for A Levels) doing good enough so that I could get away by going to uni
(edited 8 years ago)
My dad kept saying that if you do well, I will get you a present.....I don't think I got a present though.
Btw, why are you focusing on these people, focus on yourself.
I know a lot of people who got money, I personally got a £25 Paperchase folder for sixth form supplies and that was for all A*s :') If it helps to motivate people though then I don't see a problem with it :smile:
Reply 8
I'm getting a new MacBook Pro if I do well. So I guess it is common.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know - really stupid isn't it?! Neither of my parents did for me that's for sure - and one of them is a Professor of Education! One of my friends got money from her parents (one of them was a banker) and then went to Cambridge - guess the friend wouldn't have been able to do it without a little incentive (the same family also paid for tutors and even paid of Prof. of English to read coursework, and probably the PS later although I don't know about that for sure!).

Think there's nothing wrong with seeking a little help when you need it but there's a limit to what's ethical. Anyway, in the long run it's much better to be able to help yourself than to rely on external motivation (that might not always be there!).
I get dinner for doing well
Reply 11
I'm pretty sure I got an ice cream once for doing well.
My friend is getting £200 for every A* she gets and £100 for every A. However, even after a load of revision she can't get As and A*s for most her subjects. The only A she ever got was in English and Media Studies mock exams.
So hopefully when I help her with her studies shes at least gonna get a couple of As :smile:
But it is a bit excessive tbh. The grades should be the gift but a little bonus treat won't hurt haha like going to a festival or going to a restaurant etc but £200 for every A* that's a bit over the top!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine paid me money for trying.

#Communism
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
My friend is getting £200 for every A* she gets and £100 for every A. However, even after a load of revision she can't get As and A*s for most her subjects. The only A she ever got was in English and Media Studies mock exams.
So hopefully when I help her with her studies shes at least gonna get a couple of As :smile:
But it is a bit excessive tbh. The grades should be the gift but a little bonus treat won't hurt haha like going to a festival or going to a restaurant etc but £200 for every A* that's a bit over the top!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whaaaat!???:eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Matrix123

Yup hahaha! Shes from a well off family though and I am sure she'll get a couple hundred pounds no matter what her grade is haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ishan_2000
I recently found out that some people in my school actually receive money for every A* they get in their GCSEs!! One person was saying that they will receive £50 for every A* OR A they achieve in their GCSEs!! This is so stupid!

Is this common? Will any of you get paid for doing well in your GCSEs, or did you get paid for your GCSE results?

Why is it stupid?
Think its justified. Would give mine 50 per A* and up to 2 grand for a clean sweep of A* totaly worth it.
Reply 18
Neither me or any of my siblings received such payment. But we have friends that got £50/A grade at GCSE level, and this was 20-odd years ago, so yes I guess it is common.

Maybe I will try something similar as an incentive for my children. £50 for one GCSE seems a bit steep though!
Original post by Blackstarr
Btw, why are you focusing on these people, focus on yourself.

I'm not "focussing" on these people. I am just pointing them out, and wanted to know if this was a common thing.

Quick Reply

Latest