The Student Room Group

Entering civil partnership to get increased funding

Hi,
I am due to start medicine (graduate entry) in September 2023 at Warwick. I have currently got my student finance maintenance as the lowest available, and did not apply for any means tested increase as my parents income would mean I’d get £0 extra, so not worth the hassle of providing their info.

I currently live with my partner who I’ve lived with for 3 years (but I’ve only been self-supporting for 2 years that I can prove to SFE so cannot be classed as independent that way). We’ve been together as a couple for over 4 years now and I’ve no doubt we’ve got a great future together.
Unfortunately because we are not legally a couple (married or civil partnership), I am classed as dependent on my parents, but if we were together legally it would be based on mine and his income (much less than my parents, awarding me the maximum maintenance).

I’m toying with the idea of asking him if we could sign a civil partnership so that I can be classed as independent which will open me up to a tonne of extra financial support which would be so helpful.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience, or knew of anyone else who had done this and whether it was an easy process or if it’s not worth the potential legal headache if we do go ahead?

As far as I can tell, the cost of the civil partnership registration pales in comparison to the extra funding I would get. And then if we wanted to get married in the future, we would just have to file for dissolution of the civil partnership (about £550) and once that was finalised we would be free to get married.

I would have to convince him that it would be little hassle for him to agree, as he wouldn’t benefit from it, whereas I stand to almost triple my funding which would massively help me afford rent and food and petrol.

Any big drawbacks to my plan? Or should it be relatively simple to register, and then dissolve later on when we want to get married?
Reply 1
idk about drawbacks, but keep in mind student finance is a loan not a grant, so you're borrowing money from your future self (at a not inconsiderable interest rate)

that money may make your life a lot easier - that's up for you to decide - and that may be worth it. but if it's a marginal decision and you're considering a serious legal arrangement to make it work, maybe you don't want to bother

on the other hand, im not a million miles away from your position and if the best option for my girlfriend to continue studying or get work authorisation was to get married, i probably would

i have no experience with dissolving a civil partnership, but my guess is it could get sticky if your relationship went south and you two disputed who owns what acquired during your partnership (but i don't know that, it's maybe a possible worst case outcome)
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
idk about drawbacks, but keep in mind student finance is a loan not a grant, so you're borrowing money from your future self (at a not inconsiderable interest rate)

that money may make your life a lot easier - that's up for you to decide - and that may be worth it. but if it's a marginal decision and you're considering a serious legal arrangement to make it work, maybe you don't want to bother

on the other hand, im not a million miles away from your position and if the best option for my girlfriend to continue studying or get work authorisation was to get married, i probably would

i have no experience with dissolving a civil partnership, but my guess is it could get sticky if your relationship went south and you two disputed who owns what acquired during your partnership (but i don't know that, it's maybe a possible worst case outcome)

I definitely appreciate that it’s a maintenance loan and that it would have to be paid back in the end (or wiped after 40 years). From my second year onwards I would then be eligible for NHS grants/bursaries, one of which is means tested and would take my maintenance for that year from £3500 to around £6000. And that wouldn’t need to be paid back.
It also makes me eligible for an extra £3000 bursary from Warwick which again is non-repayable.

It’s just incredibly frustrating because having 3 years financial independence is so arbitrary. I’ve had a full time job supporting myself for 2 years, and myself and my partner are essentially married in all but legal terms. But still SFE class me as dependent on my parents despite it all. Just feels like a bit of a kick in the teeth, especially when there are people on the same course with incredibly well off parents, or their own income being high, who are being classed as independent purely for their age and getting the full support.

I know it seems like a drastic step but I was honestly thinking, apart from the cost of the registration and then the cost of the dissolution, I can’t really see a reason not to. We could register a partnership and keep living as we are as a couple already, then file for dissolution after 1 year (you can’t dissolve before 1 year) and then once that’s done, the potential legal responsibilities are over, but I’ve proven independence and can access much more support than before.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending