The Student Room Group

Physics at York or Nottingham?

Waiting on Durham, ideally would go there.

I will be a mature student.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leavingthecity

Thanks.

Have you visited either of them? Did you prefer one over the other?
In terms of city which do you like more?
Where do your current interests in physics lie and which of these offers modules to do with that?
Original post by madmadmax321
Have you visited either of them? Did you prefer one over the other?
In terms of city which do you like more?
Where do your current interests in physics lie and which of these offers modules to do with that?

No! Haven't had time as I've been working, though I've got an interview at York on Monday so haven't actually got the offer yet.

It's a foundation year and I would ideally switch to a London uni for work reasons after the foundation year.
In general I think Nottingham's 'better' for Physics, but there are some differences in the way the four-year courses are organised that might make you want to consider York. If it's just for a foundation year it shouldn't matter too much.
Original post by Unkempt_One
In general I think Nottingham's 'better' for Physics, but there are some differences in the way the four-year courses are organised that might make you want to consider York. If it's just for a foundation year it shouldn't matter too much.

Exactly, it's just the one year I'll be there most likely.

Will Notts look better on my application to transfer do you think?
No! Haven't had time as I've been working, though I've got an interview at York on Monday so haven't actually got the offer yet.

It's a foundation year and I would ideally switch to a London uni for work reasons after the foundation year.

I cant really offer advice other than try get the most out of the york interview day then by seeing the uni as much as you can and seeing what the staff are like because it is difficult to tell if you will like a place until visiting it tbh

It is a very bad idea to go in with the plan of switching uni (I also did a foundation year). just a note that imperial and UCL wont accept your foundation year as entry to their first year physics (though kings and qmul do). Also york could refuse you a reference and predicted grades when applying to first year somewhere else as they wont have known you very long so may not be able to give reliable ones
Exactly, it's just the one year I'll be there most likely.

Will Notts look better on my application to transfer do you think?

It wont make a blind bit of difference, especially as you may not even be in the physics department for your foundation year (A fair few unis have separate departments dedicated to the foundation year, not sure if notts do but looking at the volume of courses you can transfer too I would think they have a separate one)
I cant really offer advice other than try get the most out of the york interview day then by seeing the uni as much as you can and seeing what the staff are like because it is difficult to tell if you will like a place until visiting it tbh

It is a very bad idea to go in with the plan of switching uni (I also did a foundation year). just a note that imperial and UCL wont accept your foundation year as entry to their first year physics (though kings and qmul do). Also york could refuse you a reference and predicted grades when applying to first year somewhere else as they wont have known you very long so may not be able to give reliable ones

Yes I agree it's a very bad idea! But it's something I need to try as my situation is quite different to a normal student.

Im eyeing up KCL. I know an exception where Imperial accepted a foundation year... But that's one exception!

I'm prepared to stay in one place for the four years though.

Where did you go and what was your experience?
Can't imagine why they wouldn't accept Durham's foundation year seeing as Durham's undergraduate course is more challenging than UCL.
Yes I agree it's a very bad idea! But it's something I need to try as my situation is quite different to a normal student.

Im eyeing up KCL. I know an exception where Imperial accepted a foundation year... But that's one exception!

I'm prepared to stay in one place for the four years though.

Where did you go and what was your experience?

I did my foundation year at leeds (also now do my undergrad here too). I did apply to move (getting offers from kcl, birmingham, bristol and qmul) but just didnt like them compared to leeds (accept kcl but couldnt afford to live in london)

The foundation year was alright, high work load but manageable if you worked hard
I did my foundation year at leeds (also now do my undergrad here too). I did apply to move (getting offers from kcl, birmingham, bristol and qmul) but just didnt like them compared to leeds (accept kcl but couldnt afford to live in london)

The foundation year was alright, high work load but manageable if you worked hard

Cool. I've done a guided tour of KCL and it's perfectly placed to keep me plugged into the city. Also has great relationships with the industry.

How is KCL viewed as a place to study physics, do you know?

I really appreciate your responses.
Cool. I've done a guided tour of KCL and it's perfectly placed to keep me plugged into the city. Also has great relationships with the industry.

How is KCL viewed as a place to study physics, do you know?

I really appreciate your responses.

How do you mean?

Thanks.

Just pick the university you like to study at/which is strongest for your course.

That being said i'm biased to Notts over York. Durham imo is at the same level as Notts.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Fickschlitten
Just pick the university you like to study at/which is strongest for your course.

That being said i'm biased to Notts over York. Durham imo is at the same level as Notts.

You again.

You were at Nottingham?
How do you mean?

As in there are league tables, and then there general opinion held by students and employers.
As in there are league tables, and then there general opinion held by students and employers.

Meh league tables dont mean much tbh they use factors that dont really matter and employers dont use them. kcl will have the best connections to ib and finance in general out of all the unis you mentioned.

You would have to ask a kcl student for their opinion on the course and anyone that doesnt go there, their opinion will not matter :smile:

Employer wise most employers dont care about league tables (as much as tsr likes to think they do)

Pick the uni based on the physics course that appeals to you most, for me kings and leeds did that, the others (including york and notts) didnt do that but for you it will be different :smile: Getting a good mix of modules in later year is the best thing so that you can make the most informed decision if you decide to go onto a phd (the main reason people do a physics degree)
Meh league tables dont mean much tbh they use factors that dont really matter and employers dont use them. kcl will have the best connections to ib and finance in general out of all the unis you mentioned.

You would have to ask a kcl student for their opinion on the course and anyone that doesnt go there, their opinion will not matter :smile:

Employer wise most employers dont care about league tables (as much as tsr likes to think they do)

Pick the uni based on the physics course that appeals to you most, for me kings and leeds did that, the others (including york and notts) didnt do that but for you it will be different :smile: Getting a good mix of modules in later year is the best thing so that you can make the most informed decision if you decide to go onto a phd (the main reason people do a physics degree)

Thank you!

Did you interview?

False. Nottingham has better connections and sends more people into IB.
Original post by Princepieman
False. Nottingham has better connections and sends more people into IB.

Oh really?

Not sure I want to be in IB, but I'm sure they would also have similar relationships with other financial services firms
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Fickschlitten

This is flat out wrong for undergraduate level and even for research in a lot of areas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending