The Student Room Group

White privilege?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2513893/Florida-girl-threatened-expulsion-afro-hair.htmlhttp://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/12/07/bme-women-runnymede-trust-jobs_n_2256589.htmlI know as a white person, you might deny that white privilege does not exist, but trust me it does. Women of colour still suffer from discrimination whether it's their skin tone or hair texture. The fact that you can walk into an interview and not have to worry if the interviewer is not judging you on your hair texture or skin tone is privilege itself and it should not be that way.Your black/Asians/Mixed friends are getting into uni because they got the grades- that is IT. It has nothing to do with their skin tone but because they try harder- You don't need two heads to work this out.The fact that you don't know anything about the Dylan Roof sorry I made a surname error) case shows that you are ignorant and oblivious to your surroundings because It was on the news and social media everywhere for weeks and weeks and itself proves that white privilege does exist.
http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/church-shooting-suspect-dylann-roof-smiles-video/
Somewhere here says that he was wearing a bullet proof vest

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3135477/Cops-treated-Dylann-Roof-free-Burger-King-meal-Charleston-church-shooter-complained-feeling-hungry-reveals-police-chief.html

They even bought him burger king! How generous are these police officers!

Ignorant of my surroundings? I've heard of Dylan roof, you said Dylan cooper? And I was talking about white privilege existing in the U.K. This case took place in America (which is racist and i agree has some level of white privilege).

Can you give me one example of a black women suffering discrimination because of her hair or skin tone?! How pathetic you even considered that discrimination due to hair texture is a thing. And black people don't have to worry about interviewers judging them on skin tones (unless the interviewer is in their 50's or 60's and therefore grew up in a different time). If a white person or black person walked into an interview with messy hair they wouldn't be hired, but that's not due to ethnic reasons it's because they didn't present themselves. If a person of colour walks into an interview thinking the interviewer cares about their ethnicity then it's the interviewee that's racist because it didn't even cross the interviewers mind.

Getting the grades is why you get into uni? That's equality. They got into the university due to their hard work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Death Grips
LOL AT PEOPLE WHO SAY WHITE PRIVILEGE DOESNT EXIST

Because it doesn't...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
people who say privilege exist should be honest with themselves and admit they are just lazy.
[video="youtube;6TU50Bz3Ey0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TU50Bz3Ey0[/video]
Original post by Failingstudent98
Ignorant of my surroundings? I've heard of Dylan roof, you said Dylan cooper? And I was talking about white privilege existing in the U.K. This case took place in America (which is racist and i agree has some level of white privilege).

Can you give me one example of a black women suffering discrimination because of her hair or skin tone?! How pathetic you even considered that discrimination due to hair texture is a thing. And black people don't have to worry about interviewers judging them on skin tones (unless the interviewer is in their 50's or 60's and therefore grew up in a different time). If a white person or black person walked into an interview with messy hair they wouldn't be hired, but that's not due to ethnic reasons it's because they didn't present themselves. If a person of colour walks into an interview thinking the interviewer cares about their ethnicity then it's the interviewee that's racist because it didn't even cross the interviewers mind.

Getting the grades is why you get into uni? That's equality. They got into the university due to their hard work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are absolutely ****ing ridiculous and insensitive if you actually believe that hair or skin tone discrimination doesnt exist and you must be deluded into thinking that this is a perfect world where everyone accepts people. No, that is not the case. Black women (I am speaking from experience) Feel as if they are being judged upon for wearing an afro because it is "unkept" and "messy". I have already bought up an article and I will not bring up another one just to prove your ignorance -sorry. No such as skin tone discrimination? You are a joke. Blacks and Asians can be judged from an interview because of their skin tone. - Racist white people in the UK do exist. its not hard to understand. It is really unthoughtful and inconsiderate of you to think that blacks are not discriminated against because of their skin tone and if you genuinely think that then maybe think about that again.
(edited 8 years ago)
You are absolutely ****ing ridiculous and insensitive if you actually believe that hair or skin tone discrimination doesnt exist and you must be deluded into thinking that this is a perfect world where everyone accepts people. No, that is not the case. Black women (I am speaking from experience) Feel as if they are being judged upon for wearing an afro because it is "unkept" and "messy". I have already bought up an article and I will not bring up another one just to prove your ignorance -sorry. No such as skin tone discrimination? You are a joke. Blacks and Asians can be judged from an interview because of their skin tone. - Racist white people in the UK do exist. its not hard to understand. It is really unthoughtful and inconsiderate of you to think that blacks are not discriminated against because of their skin tone and if you genuinely think that then maybe think about that again.

hahahahaha hair privilege
top ****ing kek
dank memes
:rofl: :rofl:
Do white people find it racist if someone brings up white privilege? I always see people saying it is racist to white people, is it?

Still yet to see a single fact that backs of this claim. A messy Afro and a well kept Afro are two different things- one shows an employer/client/customer that you have good hygiene and are professional and one shows them that you don't care about your appearance. But this statement would occur for ALL races. If an Asian, Eastern European (who get discriminated against a hell of a lot more then black people- and they are white!) or African all walked into a job or a date etc and hasn't washed their hair they would all be seen as unprofessional and unhygienic.

Sorry if you have lost out on a job or uni place to a white person and that is why you hold such racist 'us vs them' views but white people really do not give a **** what colour skin you have. They don't care honestly. What they do care about is will you benefit them or not and if your a nice person (or a personality they get on with)

Posted from TSR Mobile
No such thing.
I think it exists in the US but not so much in the UK. Can someone explain to me what white privilege is?
Still yet to see a single fact that backs of this claim. A messy Afro and a well kept Afro are two different things- one shows an employer/client/customer that you have good hygiene and are professional and one shows them that you don't care about your appearance. But this statement would occur for ALL races. If an Asian, Eastern European (who get discriminated against a hell of a lot more then black people- and they are white!) or African all walked into a job or a date etc and hasn't washed their hair they would all be seen as unprofessional and unhygienic.

Sorry if you have lost out on a job or uni place to a white person and that is why you hold such racist 'us vs them' views but white people really do not give a **** what colour skin you have. They don't care honestly. What they do care about is will you benefit them or not and if your a nice person (or a personality they get on with)

Posted from TSR Mobile

People are discriminated against whilst having"kept" afros. Oh, so you are speaking for all white people then you ignorant fool? There are racist white people stop being so ****ing igornat because you are making yourself sound stupid. I am holding racist views? Just for pointing out white privilege? Sounds like you the only racist one out here boo.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Do white people find it racist if someone brings up white privilege? I always see people saying it is racist to white people, is it?

Yes because it implies that white people are somehow different to every other ethnicity, it's segregating white people into some other category. I feel like this idea of white privilege is saying look I'm black and your white so we are different, but we aren't? White people do not get things handed to them on a plate, it's called class/wealth. Rich people now they have privilege. (Also white privilege puts down the achievements of white people by saying they only got the job/uni place. Etc due to their race not their hard work)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes because it implies that white people are somehow different to every other ethnicity, it's segregating white people into some other category. I feel like this idea of white privilege is saying look I'm black and your white so we are different, but we aren't? White people do not get things handed to them on a plate, it's called class/wealth. Rich people now they have privilege. (Also white privilege puts down the achievements of white people by saying they only got the job/uni place. Etc due to their race not their hard work)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it is more majority privilege than white privilege, I find a lot of times in media if a minority does something it is seen as a representation of the entire ethnicity but if a white person does it, it is due to their individuality.

I guess stereotypes exist for a reason, but like I'm 'brown' but growing up I had never heard of a Muslim until I came to England, Islam was non-existent in my country but then coming to England people stereotype me as something I'd never even heard of before I came here.

Also I find it irksome how people in the UK always describe colour for some races, like someone would be like "I was walking down the street and this big black guy was walking behind me." For some reason I always notice that they're big black guys, but a white guy is just a guy.
Original post by JamesN88
This has to be the funniest thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLoel5EKT34

What a di*ck.

I'm more bothered by the fact he doesn't know about statistical noise...
People are discriminated against whilst having"kept" afros. Oh, so you are speaking for all white people then you ignorant fool? There are racist white people stop being so ****ing igornat because you are making yourself sound stupid. I am holding racist views? Just for pointing out white privilege? Sounds like you the only racist one out here boo.

Give me a single example of someone being discriminated because of having a kept Afro, please enlighten me on why the texture of hair would change the ability of an employee to do their job :/ of course there are racist white people out there but there are also racist people of every ethnicity (as a white person I have had black people be 'racist' to me you don't see me campaigning # white lives matter). It is a tiny fraction of people within ethnic groups that are racist, not enough to change day to day life. So stop pretending your disadvantaged in any way due to the colour of your skin in the U.K.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Give me a single example of someone being discriminated because of having a kept Afro, please enlighten me on why the texture of hair would change the ability of an employee to do their job :/ of course there are racist white people out there but there are also racist people of every ethnicity (as a white person I have had black people be 'racist' to me you don't see me campaigning # white lives matter). It is a tiny fraction of people within ethnic groups that are racist, not enough to change day to day life. So stop pretending your disadvantaged in any way due to the colour of your skin in the U.K.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmao
are you seriously arguing about hair privilege?
HAHAHAHAHAH
Give me a single example of someone being discriminated because of having a kept Afro, please enlighten me on why the texture of hair would change the ability of an employee to do their job :/ of course there are racist white people out there but there are
also racist people of every ethnicity (as a white person I have had black people be 'racist' to me you don't see me campaigning # white lives matter). It is a tiny fraction of people within ethnic groups that are racist, not enough to change day to day life. So stop pretending your disadvantaged in any way due to the colour of your skin in the U.K.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ffs, why is it so difficult for you to intellectulise what I am trying to come across. No, I do not want to send you countless of articles because I don't have to do that to justify what i am saying. What i am trying to say that is a lot of people (Not only whites) have this stigma that straight= kept, pressional and Afros are not so it is discrimination... how are you going to tell me that I am not disadvantaged in the UK? You are white so don't speak through a black person's experience. Just like how I am straight so I wouldn't speak throug a gay person's experience.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dinasaurus
I think it is more majority privilege than white privilege, I find a lot of times in media if a minority does something it is seen as a representation of the entire ethnicity but if a white person does it, it is due to their individuality.

I guess stereotypes exist for a reason, but like I'm 'brown' but growing up I had never heard of a Muslim until I came to England, Islam was non-existent in my country but then coming to England people stereotype me as something I'd never even heard of before I came here.

Also I find it irksome how people in the UK always describe colour for some races, like someone would be like "I was walking down the street and this big black guy was walking behind me." For some reason I always notice that they're big black guys, but a white guy is just a guy.

Stereotypes do exist for a reason, and they can be used for positive purposes for example crimes can be broken down to be associated with different ethnicities (and the statistics do suggest that some crimes just are more common in certain ethnicities wether this be due to culture [certain crimes being seen as not that bad] or organised crime [often being ethnically based])

I think the colour thing is more just a descriptor, the same as long hair or blue eyes would be. If any big guy was following me I would feel a bit freaked, regardless of colour it's more him being big that's scary. I also think people tend to specific if someone isn't white because due to the % of white people in the population it's likely they are assumed to be white (statistically the guy your speaking about is more likely to be white because a bigger percentage of the population is). It's not that being a colour is a negative thing it's just it's a major factor in what someone looks like (it will help give you an idea of the shape of their facial features as well as just the colour of their skin) - to explain more simply in a eye witness testimony your not gonna miss out the ethnicity of a criminal or in a book you want to know what the character looks like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It definately does exist in the UK considering that UK is a majoirty white country but it might place less emphasis on major cities such as London because the ethic minorities take the majoirty if that makes sense. It is even a bigger problem in America whereby people are being shot because of being black so I can definately see the anger that these so called youtubers are talking about. White priviledge/supremecy does exist.

Do you remeber dylan cooper? A white man that shot a group of innocent black people and then when he got called in by the police they gave him a bullet proof vest top and bought him some food. - White supremecy at it's finest ey?
If it was a black man that commited a massacre they would be shot immediately or the least would be them getting dragged into prison and would not be labelled as being "mentally ill"

And thas just one of the very few examples of white supremecy.

Preach now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending