The Student Room Group

Which Uni is good for MSc Computer Science?

Hi,
I am bit confused to select which uni is good for MSc Computer Science course.
I live in London and my selections are,

1. Uni of Edinburgh
2. Uni of Birmingham
3. Uni of Sheffield
4. Uni of Glasgow.

I looked at some universities in London like UCL, Imperial College London, etc since I got CGPA 6.4 I am not meeting the selection criteria.

My subject of interested is more towards web technology. And main focus is to get in to job after the MSc.
Please suggest which uni will be best option. Or if you know any other good please let me know. Any suggestion or thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Stae

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stae
Hi,

1. Uni of Edinburgh
2. Uni of Birmingham
3. Uni of Sheffield
4. Uni of Glasgow.

I looked at some universities in London like UCL, Imperial College London, etc since I got CGPA 6.4 I am not meeting the selection criteria.

My subject of interested is more towards web technology. And main focus is to get in to job after the MSc.
Please suggest which uni will be best option. Or if you know any other good please let me know. Any suggestion or thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Stae

Out of those four, Sheffield does best for Graduate Prospects. It also has the best Students union in the UK. I go to Sheffield Hallam and we all envy the amazing union building you guys have. Hopefully I get this 2:1 and maybe I'll see you in September when I start my Msc in Advanced Software Engineering
Reply 2
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Out of those four, Sheffield does best for Graduate Prospects. It also has the best Students union in the UK. I go to Sheffield Hallam and we all envy the amazing union building you guys have. Hopefully I get this 2:1 and maybe I'll see you in September when I start my Msc in Advanced Software Engineering

Thanks for the prompt reply. btw how did you check
"Graduate Prospects" for these Uni? is that from
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Computer+Science ?
Reply 3
University of edinburgh. They are famous for their computer science abd electrical engineering dept. Id also suggest u to have a look at Southampton
Reply 4
Original post by N92991
University of edinburgh. They are famous for their computer science abd electrical engineering dept. Id also suggest u to have a look at Southampton

Thanks for suggestion. Unfortunately I cant apply Southampton, Manchester, UCL as I am not meeting CGPA 6.5 entry requirement. Just got little lower 6.48 :smile:

Is there any good nearby London meeting the slandered I mentioned in the above list?
Reply 5
Original post by Stae
Thanks for suggestion. Unfortunately I cant apply Southampton, Manchester, UCL as I am not meeting CGPA 6.5 entry requirement. Just got little lower 6.48 :smile:

Is there any good nearby London meeting the slandered I mentioned in the above list?

Nothing more from what i hear. Also, thats a small difference u are missing there, and i think maybe u shud check if theres a chance for u to get a place with a strong reference and/or amazing personal statement.(since the difference is very small)
Original post by Stae
Thanks for the prompt reply. btw how did you check
"Graduate Prospects" for these Uni? is that from
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Computer+Science ?

That's right! you can click on Graduate Prospects to order it descending and year after year, Sheffield is ussually in the top 5, I remember a time when it was #3! Only behind Cambridge and St. Andrews and ahead of Imperial :O
Reply 7
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
That's right! you can click on Graduate Prospects to order it descending and year after year, Sheffield is ussually in the top 5, I remember a time when it was #3! Only behind Cambridge and St. Andrews and ahead of Imperial :O

Thanks for the info mate.
Reply 8
If you're only into web dev then do you really need an MSc to do it? You can get into that field reasonably well without a degree and you should consider your options, though a degree is a surefire way of getting into software engineering afterwards, especially if you're applying to strong universities as you are.
You are aware that the Msc Computer Science from Birmingham, UCL and Imperial are conversion courses...?
Reply 10
Original post by Stae
Hi,

1. Uni of Edinburgh
2. Uni of Birmingham
3. Uni of Sheffield
4. Uni of Glasgow.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Stae

Uni of Edinburgh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by TVIO
If you're only into web dev then do you really need an MSc to do it? You can get into that field reasonably well without a degree and you should consider your options, though a degree is a surefire way of getting into software engineering afterwards, especially if you're applying to strong universities as you are.

Hi TVIO, you gave a sensible answer. I already have a bachelors in Computer Science and have 2years of experience. After two years of gap in my career now finding difficulty to go back to same career.
I am thinking MSc would help on this.

You mentioned ">> you should consider your options". Can you please point out some. Since I got atleast 6 months before the course start. i can have a try.
Reply 12
Original post by Incongruous
You are aware that the Msc Computer Science from Birmingham, UCL and Imperial are conversion courses...?

What is the conversion courses?
Reply 13
Original post by Stae
Hi TVIO, you gave a sensible answer. I already have a bachelors in Computer Science and have 2years of experience. After two years of gap in my career now finding difficulty to go back to same career.

You mentioned ">> you should consider your options". Can you please point out some. Since I got atleast 6 months before the course start. i can have a try.

Have you got a portfolio of projects you've worked on? That's a good start. Otherwise contributing to open source software projects (probably won't be web dev though) is a good way of getting some solid experience in. Are summer internships available to non students? These might lead to jobs afterwards if you're a graduate. If you already have a CS degree you could able to get a job somewhere and work your way up in the time you would've done an MSc perhaps. No guarantee of course, but you'd save a lot of money. Is it just a confidence issue because of your break from software? Working on some personal projects related to what you want to do is a good way of getting experience again and showing initiative and getting a portfolio.
Reply 14
Original post by TVIO
Have you got a portfolio of projects you've worked on? That's a good start. Otherwise contributing to open source software projects (probably won't be web dev though) is a good way of getting some solid experience in. Are summer internships available to non students? These might lead to jobs afterwards if you're a graduate. If you already have a CS degree you could able to get a job somewhere and work your way up in the time you would've done an MSc perhaps. No guarantee of course, but you'd save a lot of money. Is it just a confidence issue because of your break from software? Working on some personal projects related to what you want to do is a good way of getting experience again and showing initiative and getting a portfolio.

Thanks TVIO for your valuable suggestions. It is really helpful. Do you know any site I can look for summer internships?
Reply 15
Original post by Stae
Thanks TVIO for your valuable suggestions. It is really helpful. Do you know any site I can look for summer internships?

No, not of the top of my head sorry. Just check the usual ones for regular jobs and be thick skinned and ambitious when applying (don't be put off by rejections, even a lot of them). A lot of the best ones aren't on job sites so go to large companies' websites manually and check there as well. I'd hate to be the one to put you off further study entirely though, so consider that as well! It'd be especially useful if you're into (or want to learn more about) a more research-oriented area of CS, such as machine learning, machine vision, etc. If it's only web dev you want then there's not really a huge need for this (assuming you work on front-end or just applying existing technologies).
Reply 16
Original post by Stae
What is the conversion courses?

Most major UK CompSci departments offer 'conversion courses' for people with a first degree in a non-Computing subject. These MSc programmes are 'beginner' Computing courses - although they ramp up to more advanced concepts over the 12 months.
Original post by Stae

Check out coding bootcamps! They're like 2-3 month long intensive programming courses built for those wanting to get into software/web dev after already completing a degree.

London has General Assembly and Maker's Academy

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you'd like a pragmatical approach the you can take it as a distance learning from anywhere, even online. Particularly, you could take a look at Edinburg's Uni.
Original post by Princepieman
Check out coding bootcamps! They're like 2-3 month long intensive programming courses built for those wanting to get into software/web dev after already completing a degree.

London has General Assembly and Maker's Academy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are these actually worth it? They're insanely expensive for waht they offer...

Latest

Trending

Trending