The Student Room Group

Student Finance for Nurses

Hey guys, I'm writing this as I'm currently freaking out!

Has anyone applied for student finance yet? We are legible for up to £2364 maintanance loan and our bursary (highest is £5500) but that's all we get!

I, for one, am staying in accommodation where my rent is £7k a year, so how am I going to be able to afford this?! Someone please help :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I think you can also apply for student loans.
Reply 2
Original post by HollyAndrews
Hey guys, I'm writing this as I'm currently freaking out!

Has anyone applied for student finance yet? We are legible for up to £2364 maintanance loan and our bursary (highest is £5500) but that's all we get!

I, for one, am staying in accommodation where my rent is £7k a year, so how am I going to be able to afford this?! Someone please help :frown:

Sorry but how is your rent 7k a year?! I pay £120 per week and mine is about £4,700 per year
You can get up to £8000 and something maximum now for your loans. Why wouldn't this apply for nursing students? :confused:

And how on earth is your accomm 7k?
image.pngThis is what student finance have said, and my accommodation is 7k a year because it's £139.02 a week but the only contract I can have is a 50 week which limits me to which places I an apply to stay in, so the cheapest is the one I've applied for!
(edited 8 years ago)
Because nursing students are not eligible for a student loan, only the maintanence loan, many nursing students tend to also work a lot part time around university class and placement.
This is why this has been uproar at the scrapping of the bursary. As we will now be getting into debt for the privilege of working for free for the NHS.
There is no easy solution I'm afraid op. Just working part time, very careful budgeting and trying to find cheap accommodation. Personally I would look privately as your current rent is ridiculous and you will find yourself stressed with this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
Because nursing students are not eligible for a student loan, only the maintanence loan, many nursing students tend to also work a lot part time around university class and placement.
This is why this has been uproar at the scrapping of the bursary. As we will now be getting into debt for the privilege of working for free for the NHS.
There is no easy solution I'm afraid op. Just working part time, very careful budgeting and trying to find cheap accommodation. Personally I would look privately as your current rent is ridiculous and you will find yourself stressed with this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure it's near impossible to work part time as a nursing student. Placement takes up all your time
Original post by cherryred90s
I'm pretty sure it's near impossible to work part time as a nursing student. Placement takes up all your time

As a nursing student myself half way through its not impossible. It tires you out and you can average 60-70 hours a week, 40 of which are placement hours and thus unpaid. But it is doable. You just need a flexible job, ie banking, and you need to very organised.
But thousands of nursing students work part time. It is far from impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If that's the cheapest accommodation I would look into getting a private house share to be honest.
A nursing degree is stressful without having to worry about being able to pay your rent.
You could post in your uni forum on here to see if anyone is in a similar position and wants to share :smile:
You'll still meet people on your course during lectures and placement, society meetings etc. But you'd probably appreciate a quiet place to sleep!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
image.pngThis is what student finance have said, and my accommodation is 7k a year because it's £139.02 a week but the only contract I can have is a 50 week which limits me to which places I an apply to stay in, so the cheapest is the one I've applied for!

The course is 45 weeks long provided you don't have to make up placement hours. You could just get the 43 week contract and commute the last 2 weeks if you don't live far from the university.
Original post by Fifstar
The course is 45 weeks long provided you don't have to make up placement hours. You could just get the 43 week contract and commute the last 2 weeks if you don't live far from the university.

Sadly, I don't drive and live 3.5-4hrs away on the train! I wish that was an option. Think I'm just gonna go for the halls I chose (housing isn't much cheaper) and work part time! Thanks for all the advice guys!
Reply 11
Sadly, I don't drive and live 3.5-4hrs away on the train! I wish that was an option. Think I'm just gonna go for the halls I chose (housing isn't much cheaper) and work part time! Thanks for all the advice guys!

Alternatively you could go for a twin they are £87 a week. Unless you are REALLY opposed to sharing a room.

Really? When I was looking at doing nursing at Manchester I managed to get a house for £62pppw inclusive of all bills between 4 of us which was considerably cheaper than halls.
Do you have any health care experience? If so try and get on the bank with NHS Professionals or whichever agency your trust uses :smile: agency work will be really flexible and it pays well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
That rent is extortionate! Don't forget that a fully catered place (which I hope this is at that price) isn't a great idea as a nursing student as placements might mean you aren't there at meal times.
Original post by Fifstar
Alternatively you could go for a twin they are £87 a week. Unless you are REALLY opposed to sharing a room.

I've put it down as my second choice simply because whether they are a nursing student or not, we will be on different schedules for shifts and things so it might mean we constantly wake each other up! It is my second option though.

Original post by WeirdLittleO
Really? When I was looking at doing nursing at Manchester I managed to get a house for £62pppw inclusive of all bills between 4 of us which was considerably cheaper than halls.
Do you have any health care experience? If so try and get on the bank with NHS Professionals or whichever agency your trust uses :smile: agency work will be really flexible and it pays well!

It's just on the outskirts of London, I've looked into houses but there aren't many with a single bedroom, they are all for a group of people (which I cannot find) and about £90-100 weekly... With bills and transport I would need to get to the uni, it adds up to about the same :/. That's what my plan is, as I have had experience working with HCA's and stuff before. :smile: x

Original post by HFBS
That rent is extortionate! Don't forget that a fully catered place (which I hope this is at that price) isn't a great idea as a nursing student as placements might mean you aren't there at meal times.

It's not catered, it's self-catered :frown: x
Hi OP,

I know a lot of student nurses and ALL work outside placement :smile: I know one who works in retail one day a week (picking up extra shifts during uni block) but most go on the bank as HCA's.

They tend to do a bank shift while on placement blocks and do a couple a week when they're back at uni. Plus bank is paid weekly as far as I'm aware!

As others have said, the rates are pretty good and are better paid than other PT jobs such as retail (plus it's relevant! 🙂).

I'm in a similar position myself accommodation wise as I'll be moving to London for the PGdip at KCL! Surely London-based students get more than £5500 in bursary? Plus I don't think I'm eligible for SF?
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl
Hi OP,

I know a lot of student nurses and ALL work outside placement :smile: I know one who works in retail one day a week (picking up extra shifts during uni block) but most go on the bank as HCA's.

They tend to do a bank shift while on placement blocks and do a couple a week when they're back at uni. Plus bank is paid weekly as far as I'm aware!

As others have said, the rates are pretty good and are better paid than other PT jobs such as retail (plus it's relevant! ).

I'm in a similar position myself accommodation wise as I'll be moving to London for the PGdip at KCL! Surely London-based students get more than £5500 in bursary? Plus I don't think I'm eligible for SF?

Hey! :smile: I'm definitely going to look into HCA bank work when I get there, but I currently live nowhere near there so I can't apply or anything just yet, but I've also heard the uni's often employ students for open days/applicant days etc, and they work around your class schedule and is good pay! Congrats on going for a PG, that's awesome! and I'm afraid Hatfield (I'm going to UH) is just outside of London so I can't claim the London rate of bursary or maintenance loan :/ If you don't mind me asking, what is SF? x
[QUOTE=HollyAndrews;63289563]Hey! :smile: I'm definitely going to look into HCA bank work when I get there, but I currently live nowhere near there so I can't apply or anything just yet, but I've also heard the uni's often employ students for open days/applicant days etc, and they work around your class schedule and is good pay! Congrats on going for a PG, that's awesome! and I'm afraid Hatfield (I'm going to UH) is just outside of London so I can't claim the London rate of bursary or maintenance loan :/ If you don't mind me asking, what is SF? x

Hey! Glad to hear it :smile: you could always sign up with NHS professionals (providing you have the required amount of work ex - think it's 3 months?). The recruitment process is long as it's the same as if you were going for a NHS job - in my current role it took 4 months from the offer to the start date 😟 - so it might be worth applying sooner rather than later! NHS professionals allows you to work at different NHS trusts - so you have a much larger pick of shifts etc :smile:

I think going on bank at the trust you'll do placements with is shorter recruitment process but I could be wrong! :s-smilie:

Thanks! :biggrin: haha sorry, SF was me being lazy and is just student finance. I don't think I'm allowed to apply for the reduced rate of the loan being postgrad :frown: according to the calculator I'm entitled to around 6.5k a year for a London uni - which doesn't seem like an awful lot for central London! My sis is down there doing an undergrad and she gets something like 10.5-11K altogether 😬 (not NHS related btw).

Sorry for the essay! 😳 x
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl
Hey! Glad to hear it :smile: you could always sign up with NHS professionals (providing you have the required amount of work ex - think it's 3 months?). The recruitment process is long as it's the same as if you were going for a NHS job - in my current role it took 4 months from the offer to the start date - so it might be worth applying sooner rather than later! NHS professionals allows you to work at different NHS trusts - so you have a much larger pick of shifts etc :smile:

I think going on bank at the trust you'll do placements with is shorter recruitment process but I could be wrong! :s-smilie:

Thanks! :biggrin: haha sorry, SF was me being lazy and is just student finance. I don't think I'm allowed to apply for the reduced rate of the loan being postgrad :frown: according to the calculator I'm entitled to around 6.5k a year for a London uni - which doesn't seem like an awful lot for central London! My sis is down there doing an undergrad and she gets something like 10.5-11K altogether (not NHS related btw).

Sorry for the essay! x

Ooh, that sounds amazing! I will definitely look into it closer to the time I think :biggrin: and I hope so, I've been worried about how I'm going to survive for a few weeks now! I know I'll find a way though, I didn't fight for my place in nursing to end up turning it down due to finances! :wink: You should try ringing them to enquire about it, I did about my finances and they were great on the phone even though there was nothing else they could suggest! Is that ALL you get?! That's insane! :frown: It's ridiculous that there's such a cry out for nurses, yet they make it so hard for us to get education because we get so little! x
[QUOTE=HollyAndrews;63290237]Ooh, that sounds amazing! I will definitely look into it closer to the time I think :biggrin: and I hope so, I've been worried about how I'm going to survive for a few weeks now! I know I'll find a way though, I didn't fight for my place in nursing to end up turning it down due to finances! :wink: You should try ringing them to enquire about it, I did about my finances and they were great on the phone even though there was nothing else they could suggest! Is that ALL you get?! That's insane! :frown: It's ridiculous that there's such a cry out for nurses, yet they make it so hard for us to get education because we get so little! x

I know! :smile: all the student nurses on my ward told me to sort NHS professionals asap as you have a bigger choice of where you can do shifts (great if you want to get a lot of experience in one area like a&e! And for networking when you qualify!)

Yeah I will thanks! I know I'm not sure f I've done the calculator right but I might ring and see what else I could be eligible for. I work FT so I can save a but, but in London 6.5K won't even cover rent and bills! :s-smilie:

The gov seems determined to make it harder for everyone in the NHS it seems :frown:

Good luck with your training! :biggrin: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending