The Student Room Group

Should I keep bugging my form tutor about writing my reference?

At the beginning of the year, I asked my form tutor to fill out a bunch of references for work experience, and even though he was disgruntled, he did it. The reference was not that good in my opinion but I didn't want to waste more time and I sent the application off.

A couple of weeks ago I asked my form tutor to fill in yet another reference for Nuffield Research placements, however, even though he said he's always happy to help, he seemed like he really didn't want to do it. Now, everytime I talk to him he doesn't acknowledge me and has no eye contact. I really can't ask him to write another reference for me but I have no other teacher to turn to. The placement is mostly a backup but it is still important.

Should I tell him to write me another reference or just not apply?
Reply 1
Original post by Yesitisi
At the beginning of the year, I asked my form tutor to fill out a bunch of references for work experience, and even though he was disgruntled, he did it. The reference was not that good in my opinion but I didn't want to waste more time and I sent the application off.

A couple of weeks ago I asked my form tutor to fill in yet another reference for Nuffield Research placements, however, even though he said he's always happy to help, he seemed like he really didn't want to do it. Now, everytime I talk to him he doesn't acknowledge me and has no eye contact. I really can't ask him to write another reference for me but I have no other teacher to turn to. The placement is mostly a backup but it is still important.

Should I tell him to write me another reference or just not apply?

Do you seriously have no other teacher to help you?
What about your year group leader (if you have that thing), or perhaps a previous form tutor? Heck, one of your subject teachers that's teaches in a field related to your placement. Or somebody outside of school who you've worked with

I mean, I get he might be pissed doing all these references, but as a teacher he should expect these sort of things. Approach him next time when he's not particularly busy and ask him politely whether he would be willing to fill out another refence. Perhaps it's the way you ask for it. Not saying you're a prick who's like "Sir, I need these references done ASAP", but rather tell him you'd be grateful if you could fill in another reference and that it's not a problem if he refuses to.

Quick Reply

Latest