The Student Room Group

Resit applicant. No predicted grades or reference for UCAS- what should I do!

I’m in a gap year to resit 2x a levels, trying to do medicine so application deadlines the 16th. My old sixth form said “unfortunately they can’t help” for reference since i’m no longer a student. I can’t personally contact my subject teachers either since they disabled my teams account already. I don’t have work/an employer yet, i’ve only been doing volunteering work at a hospital which I quit in May.

If i even sent an email asking the hospital to be my reference, I won’t get an email back in time- they didn’t even reply when I let them know I wasn’t going to volunteer anymore.

I’ve tried contacting tutors online to ask if they could help somehow, but 2/all i’ve asked replied to say no. Am I just not gonna apply this year then? Or is there any other solution? My parents will kill me for 2 gap years.
Did you apply last year?

It's unusual for a sixth form to refuse to provide a reference (although they will often refuse to provide predicted grades for resit students)
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Did you apply last year?

It's unusual for a sixth form to refuse to provide a reference (although they will often refuse to provide predicted grades for resit students)

No I didn’t, I was planning to do a gap year to gain further work experience and money before uni, regardless of my A level results. Now I kinda have to because of my results yknow. Plus I had a close friend pass away in the summer between year 12 & year 13, which my school was very aware of, and I just wasn’t in the mental space to apply and go through the whole application process then. That’s why I don’t have a reference they could just adjust from last year for me. I had no idea my school wouldn’t have provided me a reference, otherwise I would have got a tutor from months before.

My reference if i applied last year would have been from my form tutor, but now my school head says it’s not possible- they say i’m no longer a student and they just don’t as policy which goes for everybody? I don’t know if they’re being just lazy?? I would have contacted my form tutor and subject teachers individually on teams, but they’ve suspended my teams account since i’m no longer a student there. I don’t know what to do with only 5 days left?? I have no employer nor any tutor that seems willing, and if I got a family friend who is a tutor to act as my tutor it would be fraud. Nor do they even know me well enough to write one in 5 days?!
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
Do you remember the emails of your subject teachers? If so, email them from your personal email address, this is totally allowed and explain your situation! Sending you luck.
Original post by yayay12
No I didn’t, I was planning to do a gap year to gain further work experience and money before uni, regardless of my A level results. Now I kinda have to because of my results yknow. Plus I had a close friend pass away in the summer between year 12 & year 13, which my school was very aware of, and I just wasn’t in the mental space to apply and go through the whole application process then. That’s why I don’t have a reference they could just adjust from last year for me. I had no idea my school wouldn’t have provided me a reference, otherwise I would have got a tutor from months before.

My reference if i applied last year would have been from my form tutor, but now my school head says it’s not possible- they say i’m no longer a student and they just don’t as policy which goes for everybody? I don’t know if they’re being just lazy?? I would have contacted my form tutor and subject teachers individually on teams, but they’ve suspended my teams account since i’m no longer a student there. I don’t know what to do with only 5 days left?? I have no employer nor any tutor that seems willing, and if I got a family friend who is a tutor to act as my tutor it would be fraud. Nor do they even know me well enough to write one in 5 days?!
Reply 4
Original post by emmap27x
Do you remember the emails of your subject teachers? If so, email them from your personal email address, this is totally allowed and explain your situation! Sending you luck.

Unfortunately I don’t remember their emails, but I have opened a LinkedIn account and searched for them. I’ve luckily found some, and asked to connect with them. Just waiting for responses. However on the side, I have also finally found a tutor who is willing to help me out, i’m just a bit sceptical on whether I can trust them to fill out my sections on time and their reference writing skills you know. Thank you for the luck!
Reply 5
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this- I'm also a re-sit student and its such a lonely and stressful situation to be in, but I can only imagine how difficult it must be regarding medicine.

Original post by yayay12
Unfortunately I don’t remember their emails, but I have opened a LinkedIn account and searched for them. I’ve luckily found some, and asked to connect with them. Just waiting for responses. However on the side, I have also finally found a tutor who is willing to help me out, i’m just a bit sceptical on whether I can trust them to fill out my sections on time and their reference writing skills you know. Thank you for the luck!
Reply 6
Original post by emmap27x
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this- I'm also a re-sit student and its such a lonely and stressful situation to be in, but I can only imagine how difficult it must be regarding medicine.

Yeah and the pressure but cluelessness from my parents on how to help really just makes it all worse, I wish you the best in your resits and applications. We can both do this❤️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending