The Student Room Group

Getting proper help

Why is it that it is impossible to talk to an actual person from Student Loans Company?

Why do I get sent round in rings by an automated phone system that doesn't work properly?

All I want to do is support my daughter's application.

My own student loan was paid back more than 25 years ago. All in any details about student reference numbers for my own account were made in the days before the Internet was a thing. There was no such thing as a web account. I've never owned a web account. However when I go to actually make an application and give my details, i'm told i'm already registered. Great let's reset the password. It won't accept my date of birth and name and e-mail it wants my student reference number which I don't know. The telephone system then promises to offer some help if I use the word help. Great I thought. In reality all that happened was i was read the options again really slowly.

Totally unacceptable
Original post by Marcus_1966
Why is it that it is impossible to talk to an actual person from Student Loans Company?

Why do I get sent round in rings by an automated phone system that doesn't work properly?

All I want to do is support my daughter's application.

My own student loan was paid back more than 25 years ago. All in any details about student reference numbers for my own account were made in the days before the Internet was a thing. There was no such thing as a web account. I've never owned a web account. However when I go to actually make an application and give my details, i'm told i'm already registered. Great let's reset the password. It won't accept my date of birth and name and e-mail it wants my student reference number which I don't know. The telephone system then promises to offer some help if I use the word help. Great I thought. In reality all that happened was i was read the options again really slowly.

Totally unacceptable

This is a known bug but the government don't give SFE/SLC any funds for developing solutions to many known bugs where there is a workaround.

The simplest and quickest solution is to fill in the PFF2 form and get your daughter to upload it to her SFE account
https://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/2324/ft/sfe_pff2_form_2324_o.pdf
Reply 2
Thank you for your very swift reply. After much googling, I did manage to get through to a human being. My situation seems to be somewhat unique. Apparently. I am so old that my records was stored on paper and in the transfer to the new system from the legacy system, whichever temp agency person did, it neglected to populate all of the fields. Add it to this was the requirement. Have a mobile phone number. My loan was granted in 1994. I didn't own my first phone until 2002. My loan had been paid off in 2001.

The outcome of the telephone call that I eventually managed to get after hours of searching, was the I had to write by snail mail to the student loan company. The letter needed to contain various pieces of personal information and reference to personal ID documents. At some point in the future I hope to get an update. If people are interested. I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending