The Student Room Group

Domestic Violence in South Asian culture

Scroll to see replies

I have a bigger issue with you grouping everyone from Pakistan to the Maldives into one ethnic group!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3953975
Original post by mrsjenner
How were you able to move out?

I stood firm on my decision and my parents had to let me move out. It was hard but I never gave up. I kept telling them a year before moving out that I will move out for uni. My father is still angry about it but that's not my issue. My issue is that I must stand up for my happiness and that's what I did and will always do.
Reply 42
Original post by MissionClunge
The nuclear family is the bedrock of society. We all have our various roles in the community, the role of the man is that of breadwinner and the woman generally is the homemaker/child rearer (ok some woman can go and do careers, but essentially that is the foundation of society since time immemorial). If a woman in any undermines this through an affair, sloppiness, excessive spending, choosing the western path then what choice do you have other than a knee to the groin. I'd much rather have a bit of domestic violence than become like kaffir filth and their step parents, multiple parents, divorce, 'new partners', single teen mother etc...The conventional familly has to be preserved, dont forget as a woman part of your contractual obligation in the marriage is to essentially serve your inlaws family. I know it sounds cruel that they are effectively the in-laws property but thats how it is. In exchange for being chaffeured around, having a home, handbag, shoes, the woman has certain obligations to fulfil and yes there should be physical repercussions if these aren't met.

This is incredulous and very difficult to not be worried about if this is how you truly think. Many women are strong, independant, have good male role models who would never touch them ever.
Reply 43
Original post by BrokenLife
I stood firm on my decision and my parents had to let me move out. It was hard but I never gave up. I kept telling them a year before moving out that I will move out for uni. My father is still angry about it but that's not my issue. My issue is that I must stand up for my happiness and that's what I did and will always do.

May you be blessed. It is difficult for some parents to understand and current scientific thought is that we are, on average, only 5% genetically similar to our relatives. Of course this is why we leave home as young adults, to make our own choices and find our own way in the world. Respect and kindness on both sides is a true foundation.
Original post by MissionClunge
The nuclear family is the bedrock of society. We all have our various roles in the community, the role of the man is that of breadwinner and the woman generally is the homemaker/child rearer (ok some woman can go and do careers, but essentially that is the foundation of society since time immemorial). If a woman in any undermines this through an affair, sloppiness, excessive spending, choosing the western path then what choice do you have other than a knee to the groin. I'd much rather have a bit of domestic violence than become like kaffir filth and their step parents, multiple parents, divorce, 'new partners', single teen mother etc...The conventional familly has to be preserved, dont forget as a woman part of your contractual obligation in the marriage is to essentially serve your inlaws family. I know it sounds cruel that they are effectively the in-laws property but thats how it is. In exchange for being chaffeured around, having a home, handbag, shoes, the woman has certain obligations to fulfil and yes there should be physical repercussions if these aren't met.

Shut up

No I get that I mean did they fund your move?
No I get that I mean did they fund your move?

Yes they did. :smile:
Original post by Min7
May you be blessed. It is difficult for some parents to understand and current scientific thought is that we are, on average, only 5% genetically similar to our relatives. Of course this is why we leave home as young adults, to make our own choices and find our own way in the world. Respect and kindness on both sides is a true foundation.

Sorry but kinda confused here..:s-smilie:
Reply 48
Sorry but kinda confused here..:s-smilie:

Why are you confused?
Yes they did. :smile:

Well then that's not really the same as having parents who don't support you or your decisions and having to move out on your own, or deciding to move out on your own. But fair enough.
Well then that's not really the same as having parents who don't support you or your decisions and having to move out on your own, or deciding to move out on your own. But fair enough.

Yes, I absolutely agree!:h:

But trust even with help, tis was a tough job to move out as parents were not happy.:colonhash:
Yes, I absolutely agree!:h:

But trust even with help, tis was a tough job to move out as parents were not happy.:colonhash:

They're not happy because they probably love you and want you to stay. Whereas other parents are quite happy to dispose of their children with nothing.
They're not happy because they probably love you and want you to stay. Whereas other parents are quite happy to dispose of their children with nothing.

Lol they don't love me, they love the power and control they have over me:colonhash:

And I'm so sorry:redface:
Lol they don't love me, they love the power and control they have over me:colonhash:

And I'm so sorry:redface:

But they gave you money, sis. I know money doesn't equal love but it's still a sign of, "I know it's hard out here, here's some cash to take care of yourself and be safe." Yeah I didn't/don't get that lol but you're on your own now however it happened, that's cool. You're just lucky is all.
BTW Domestic violence isnt just an issue among South Asians..

Quick Reply

Latest