The Student Room Group

A level Further Maths in 1 year

I have decided that I would like to study mathematics with statistics at university, however a lot of universities seem to want further mathematics as an a level. I am currently not doing further maths, but I was wondering if it is possible to complete it within a year. My friends doing further maths say it is incredibly difficult but I am unsure as I have never experienced it. For any who have done the AQA course, do you think it is possible? I got an A* at GCSE and I am set for an A at AS mathematics.

I am currently doing maths, chemistry, biology and geography and I do not know what to drop.

Please know that I am not hoping to go to Oxford/cambridge but I am still aiming for a russel group uni.

Reply 1
That would be seriously hard. Doing it in two years is difficult enough...
Reply 2
Original post by Umi-chan
I have decided that I would like to study mathematics with statistics at university, however a lot of universities seem to want further mathematics as an a level.

It'll be fine - I did this. Not much to it.

My friends doing further maths say it is incredibly difficult but I am unsure as I have never experienced it.

Perhaps it is for your friend, but in general, it's actually quite easy.
Reply 3
Original post by Alexion
That would be seriously hard. Doing it in two years is difficult enough...

No; not really.
I have decided that I would like to study mathematics with statistics at university, however a lot of universities seem to want further mathematics as an a level. I am currently not doing further maths, but I was wondering if it is possible to complete it within a year. My friends doing further maths say it is incredibly difficult but I am unsure as I have never experienced it. For any who have done the AQA course, do you think it is possible? I got an A* at GCSE and I am set for an A at AS mathematics.

I am currently doing maths, chemistry, biology and geography and I do not know what to drop.

Please know that I am not hoping to go to Oxford/cambridge but I am still aiming for a russel group uni.

I'm actually currently doing all of AQA A2 Further Maths in a single year along with standard A2 Maths. It is time consuming but definitely possible, it all depends on the modules that you do and how much work you're willing to put in. I did C1, C2 and S1 at AS and I'm now doing C3, C4, M1, FP1, FP2, FP3, S2, M2 and D1 this year. Most of my FM modules are okay but FP2 and aspects of FP3 can be quite difficult.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
No; not really.

Original post by Zacken
It'll be fine - I did this. Not much to it.

You're not most people :unimpressed: stop being patronising

For AQA, yes it is quite possible.
Original post by Alexion
You're not most people :unimpressed: stop being patronising

He is correct though. If people put the amount of work he does, they would hold the same opinion.
If you want to study Maths and Stats, it is definitely worth studying Further Maths at A-level. If you feel like it'll be too difficult (and I wouldn't blame you!) then perhaps you could look at just studying the AS and mentioning in your PS that you'll be self studying the A2 units that you would have done.

I self studied it with Edexcel (doing S2-4, FP1-2 and M1) but I am not sure how much use that is for someone doing AQA.

Good luck! :h:
Original post by SeanFM
If you want to study Maths and Stats, it is definitely worth studying Further Maths at A-level. If you feel like it'll be too difficult (and I wouldn't blame you!) then perhaps you could look at just studying the AS and mentioning in your PS that you'll be self studying the A2 units that you would have done.

I self studied it with Edexcel (doing S2-4, FP1-2 and M1) but I am not sure how much use that is for someone doing AQA.

Good luck! :h:

AQA is easier my friend.
Original post by zetamcfc
He is correct though. If people put the amount of work he does, they would hold the same opinion.

True, I do like nothing :colondollar:
It can be pretty hard, I'm doing AQA Further in 1 year after finishing maths last year, so including my resit I attend 3 separate classes and I'll have 7 maths exams at the end of the year. Perfectly doable if you're willing to put the work in, but it will take a lot of work if you want good grades. FP2 for me is the hardest (I do FP1, FP2, FP3, S1, D2 and M2 plus a C4 resit) but so long as you put the work in you can do it. When you go on open days it might be an idea to ask whether AS Further maths would be an acceptable middle ground if you don't have the time to do the full A-Level?
You're all geniuses on this thread; I had to self study to get a B at GCSE
Reply 13
If you're talking about doing it next year then do it in the 6 weeks summer holiday. You can get it all done quite comfortably. I strongly advise doing it this way.
Reply 14
Thanks for all the replies! I have found your responses very useful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending