The Student Room Group

BTEC level 3 extended diploma in Computing, and 2-3 AS levels-> uni?

OK, I'm bombing sixth form, AS/A2's weren't for me and I reckon my school over-estimated my GCSE ability so I chose 4 'hard' AS's. I changed Maths to Use of Maths in October, and dropped Physics last week... leaving Geog and Economics.

I did get GCSE A grade in Physics and Geog, B in Maths and the other 2 sciences; a total of 2 x A, 7 x B and a C grade overall.

I have a place on the extended dip starting Sept 16 at a different college.

I'm hoping with some work (yeah?) I might get in my AS's: Geog B/C, Economics C/D, Use of Maths D/E.

I know I can't mess up this BTEC, but if I were to say get D*D M, even DDM, could the UCAS points I get for AS's get me into uni to do IT/Computing? Not Top 20, obviously, but something 'rated' anyway. You could say 'ask the uni' but I don't yet know what areas of the BTEC will float my boat, and I can't assume my AS subjects will carry much weight, I mean, if I got a B in AS performing arts or pottery, a uni wouldn't be interested in that for an IT degree, would it?

I can get onto an A level course as well as the BTEC (but sadly they do different boards to my existing 6th form so I can't carry on) but I'm keen not to do yet more work if my existing AS's (assuming I do OK!) are enough. I'd rather put the effort into the BTEC.
Original post by Miljee
OK, I'm bombing sixth form, AS/A2's weren't for me and I reckon my school over-estimated my GCSE ability so I chose 4 'hard' AS's. I changed Maths to Use of Maths in October, and dropped Physics last week... leaving Geog and Economics.

I did get GCSE A grade in Physics and Geog, B in Maths and the other 2 sciences; a total of 2 x A, 7 x B and a C grade overall.

I have a place on the extended dip starting Sept 16 at a different college.

I'm hoping with some work (yeah?) I might get in my AS's: Geog B/C, Economics C/D, Use of Maths D/E.

I know I can't mess up this BTEC, but if I were to say get D*D M, even DDM, could the UCAS points I get for AS's get me into uni to do IT/Computing? Not Top 20, obviously, but something 'rated' anyway. You could say 'ask the uni' but I don't yet know what areas of the BTEC will float my boat, and I can't assume my AS subjects will carry much weight, I mean, if I got a B in AS performing arts or pottery, a uni wouldn't be interested in that for an IT degree, would it?

I can get onto an A level course as well as the BTEC (but sadly they do different boards to my existing 6th form so I can't carry on) but I'm keen not to do yet more work if my existing AS's (assuming I do OK!) are enough. I'd rather put the effort into the BTEC.

It's possible they won't consider the points from your AS if you are doing a full Btec.
Reply 2
But, the thing is, if you're 'BTEC entry', not A level, that in itself implies that you're a bit off-piste, surely? Not better- or worse- just not what 90% of people think is the only way into uni. So, tho it may be possible they won't even look at anything else- the fact they even consider BTEC might make you think that 'extras', like AS's, are on the cards?
Reply 3
Original post by Miljee
But, the thing is, if you're 'BTEC entry', not A level, that in itself implies that you're a bit off-piste, surely? Not better- or worse- just not what 90% of people think is the only way into uni. So, tho it may be possible they won't even look at anything else- the fact they even consider BTEC might make you think that 'extras', like AS's, are on the cards?

95% of uk unis accept BTEC you wont have a problem getting into a top 20/30 if you get DDD+

I got did a computing related BTEc a few years ago and i'm now in my second year of MSci Computer Science at a top 20 university

Honestly, BTECs for Computing are much better than the A level, you wont have a problem if you can do well enough i.e. DDD+

people from my BTEC course got into: Southampton, Kings College London, Cardiff, Bath, Surrey, Royal Holloway, Manchester and Birmingham as well as others
Reply 4
Thanks- but what if I got say DDM? Would any UCAS points I hope to get from my AS's help?
Original post by Miljee
Thanks- but what if I got say DDM? Would any UCAS points I hope to get from my AS's help?

DDM is equivalent to 320 ucas points...That's more than enough for an entry to university but this also depends on the university you want to go to. I was told that many universities are now not taking entries in for AS on its own but are only taking the whole A level (AS+ A2).
Reply 6
Ah, OK, that makes sense. TBH I'm struggled to get worked up about my AS's seeing as really, they probably won't count for much, but I might do one subject, Geog or Economics, to A2 alongside the BTEC tho unfortunately the new college do a different AS/A2 curriculum to my existing one so I'd have to start again anyway.
Reply 7
Quick question- one I should know the answer to: Where can I find the UCAS points equivalents for my particular BTEC? I can't make sense of the UCAS site!
Original post by Miljee
Quick question- one I should know the answer to: Where can I find the UCAS points equivalents for my particular BTEC? I can't make sense of the UCAS site!

There's this equivalent table for btec grades but its rather general than subject divided. I can send it to you if you want?

edit:I'm having trouble sending the pdf of it so if you can give me your email then I can email it to you asap.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Hi anvianzi, and thanks- I've managed to find a table which seems to tell me as much as I need to know right now!
Reply 10
Here is my opinion: Depends if you want to settle for mediocrity or aim for the best. BTEC is certainly easier than A levels. I can say this as I have done both. The reason why I done both types of qualification is that after achieving distinction in all my units I realised that even though I have achieve the highest mark I can possibly get I can only apply to the middle-top universities. For the course I wanted to do, which is computer science, the top 20 university wants you to have studied A level maths as well (sometimes replaced with at least an grade A in GCSE maths).

I would strongly advise you to think twice before studying computer science at university as the course is strongly maths oriented for most universities. If you find doing A level maths hard than perhaps computer science is not a field in which you want to go into. This of-course depends on the university course itself but the best computer scientist tends to come from a strong mathematics background.

If I had to choose again I would definitely have chosen to study A level the first time instead and here are the reasons why:
1.) The skills you learn at A level is more transferable to skills you need at university such as problem solving and logical thinking. Not to say BTEC does not require these skills, to get a distinction all you need is to repeat what the book or Google say in your own words.

2.)The people you get in your BTEC class tends to be the lazy, noisy and less focus type. These people (not saying everyone that does BTEC) tends to be GCSE failures and A level drop-outs.

3.)You are respected much more as a human being studying A levels. No one ever talks crap about people studying A level but if you told someone you was studying BTEC the majority of the recipient will look down upon you.

4.)The college that does BTEC also tend to do other courses such as BTEC hair and beauty, BTEC music, BTEC social care, plumbing, etc. These types of courses often attracts chavs and the like.

There are many things I can say but lets just leave it at that. It ultimately comes down to the question, do you want to limit yourself by doing a BTEC or you can work hard and maybe retake your AS at the same time as you are taking your A2.

If you do choose to do a BTEC then I would encourage you to study maths at home and take the exam as external candidate. BTEC does require a lot of patience and hard work, you will get assignments every week or two. Always hit your deadlines and don't leave all your assignments to last minute as this can be very stressful.

Do what you want to do. Peace.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Yumcha, thanks for yours. Lots for me to think about there, and yes I pretty much agree with you about the 'dangers' of BTEC. I actually have a place at 2 different colleges, one a nearby 'Tech', the other a sixth form college 20 miles away. The first definitely has a load of Hairdressing etc (nothing wrong with that, except the BTEC I'm lined up to do is their highest qualification... no change to resit Maths GCSE to get an A let alone do an A level alongside)- the sixth form, on the other hand, goes from slightly more academic level 2 BTECs through A level to HND.

I am worried about Maths, as you can see in my OP, I got a B at GCSE and had to drop A level in October due partly to laziness, I have to say, but I'm not doing a pile better at Use of Maths!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending