The Student Room Group

Can I play the guitar without any formal qualifications in it?

The question is something of a misnomer really. In that i can play the guitar, and know how to read chords, as well as play the pentatonic scale first form (good for blues improvisation). I even once had a buskers licence many years ago. But what do the users of tsr think about this??
Original post by john2054
The question is something of a misnomer really. In that i can play the guitar, and know how to read chords, as well as play the pentatonic scale first form (good for blues improvisation). I even once had a buskers licence many years ago. But what do the users of tsr think about this??

I dont think you need a qualification to play an instrument well :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I dont think you need a qualification to play an instrument well :smile:

Well that's a relief! I had another little tinkle on my guitar last night, and again today. It is so much more rewarding than playing on computer games all the time! x
Reply 3

What evidence is there that you cannot play the guitar?
Reply 4
You don't need a qualification. Qualifications are just formalities, really. Find some guitarists, a Youtube channel or self-teach.
Reply 5
DUDE don't tell me you have been playing without your guitar liscence......
Reply 6
Original post by sandvika
DUDE don't tell me you have been playing without your guitar liscence......

I was just playing in the house. I don't need a licence for that do i??
I was just playing in the house. I don't need a licence for that do i??

are you being for real?
Jimi Hendrix - No formal qualifications. Aside from physically being able to ingest more LSD than anyone else in the history of the universe.

Jimmy Page - No formal qualifications.

Pete Thownsend - No formal qualifications.

Paul Weller - No formal qualifications.

Eric Clapton - No formal qualifications. Aside from a certificate stating he's a bonefide dick.

Brian Setzer - No formal qualifications.

Albert Lee - You guessed it.

Etc. etc. etc.
Reply 9
Original post by frankieboy
Jimi Hendrix - No formal qualifications. Aside from physically being able to ingest more LSD than anyone else in the history of the universe.

Jimmy Page - No formal qualifications.

Pete Thownsend - No formal qualifications.

Paul Weller - No formal qualifications.

Eric Clapton - No formal qualifications. Aside from a certificate stating he's a bonefide dick.

Brian Setzer - No formal qualifications.

Albert Lee - You guessed it.

Etc. etc. etc.

But typically, here in the uk at least, piano grades are generally seen as the prerequisite for an expertise in that instrument? Funny isn't it?!?
I guess those guitarists you cited are all folk/rock guitarists and not classically trained?

john
But typically, here in the uk at least, piano grades are generally seen as the prerequisite for an expertise in that instrument? Funny isn't it?!?
I guess those guitarists you cited are all folk/rock guitarists and not classically trained?

john

It depends on the style greatly. Sometimes, formal training can actually impede progress in folk styles.

Having said that, Jerry Lee Lewis I understand could play some classical piano.

What sort of style is it that you want to play?
I've yet to meet anyone who plays guitar (and I know a few) who actually has a qualification.

A friend who teaches me the ukulele doesn't have a qualification. But he's a bloody good player. (and teacher)
It's definitely legal, but many things are legal and that doesn't mean they're right.
Reply 13
Original post by frankieboy
It depends on the style greatly. Sometimes, formal training can actually impede progress in folk styles.

Having said that, Jerry Lee Lewis I understand could play some classical piano.

What sort of style is it that you want to play?

I would quite like to learn some more scales of the guitar, and arpeggios, to improve my improvisation range?
Reply 14
Original post by Tiger Rag
I've yet to meet anyone who plays guitar (and I know a few) who actually has a qualification.

A friend who teaches me the ukulele doesn't have a qualification. But he's a bloody good player. (and teacher)

One of my teachers was had grade 8 in electric guitar, and he could sight read and pick individual notes. He was trained at the royal school of music however. I'm not sure how he did it, probably a combination of classical training and practice for some years.

I also have a little tinkle on the 'free' piano in town, some times. I would like to get better at that as well!?!?
I would quite like to learn some more scales of the guitar, and arpeggios, to improve my improvisation range?

Nothing wrong with that :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending