The Student Room Group

Living in private halls of residence...

So I've put a deposit down to live in private halls of residence. Mostly because I'm really stuck on which uni I'm going to go to, and I don't want to have the stress of not having anywhere to live if it all goes wrong. I always have to have things planned out, lol.

But now I'm panicking (as I always do) about the social side of things. Does anyone have an experience like this? Will I have a social life and meet people if I'm living in private halls? All universities put on separate freshers events, right? So will I be able to go if I don't know anyone from the university, since I'm not living in their halls? Would it mean turning up on my own?

I know it seems like such a long time away, but I always have to have things planned out. Now I'm worried about whether I'm made such a bad decision, and I should just risk it at one of the unis halls :frown:
Most universities will guarantee accommodation for firmers, and insurers will almost certainly get a place or private halls will be available so maybe it's slightly overstressing?

For the social side you'll be ok, there will probably be a few other people from your university there if it is not the majority and usually you would be put in a flat together. Yes you can go to fresher's events at both universities. Freshers events, outside the stuff you do for your course, are more about making friends with your flatmates than people at the university so it won't make any difference. (In general you don't make long term friends during fresher's unless they're flatmates or coursemates, so again don't worry).
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
Most universities will guarantee accommodation for firmers, and insurers will almost certainly get a place or private halls will be available so maybe it's slightly overstressing?

For the social side you'll be ok, there will probably be a few other people from your university there if it is not the majority and usually you would be put in a flat together. Yes you can go to fresher's events at both universities. Freshers events, outside the stuff you do for your course, are more about making friends with your flatmates than people at the university so it won't make any difference. (In general you don't make long term friends during fresher's unless they're flatmates or coursemates, so again don't worry).

Thanks for the reply!

I got private accomodation because I'm not confident on getting into my firm at the moment, so I don't want to put my hope in getting into their halls. I have applied for a place there though, but I'm sure it's pointless, and I wouldn't want to live where my insurance choice is.

This has made me feel better, thanks. I just honestly didn't know the deal with freshers week. I hope that I'm actually with first years from my or nearby unis :/ it'd be a nightmare if I couldn't meet anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending