The Student Room Group

Why do some people get cars as a given?

Am I the only one who is totally baffled by the fact that some parents pay for driving lessons, test, a car and insurance and the child just expects it? that's thousands and thousands of pounds on something that is just taken as a given and once they hit 17 bam they get a car?!? I've been 17 for 6 months and I still haven't learnt to drive yet!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You sound a little bitter. If parents can afford to pay for driving lessons, a car and insurance, and they want to, why shouldn't they?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I take pride in the fact that I've paid for EVERYTHING since the day I got my first pay slip. Be it my clothes and bedroom furniture, driving lessons, car, technology, you name it.
Reply 3
~£200 for lessons and learner insurance, £900 for a years' insurance for three of us and although the car's in my name, parents have free access and will be taking it back over come Sept.

Honestly it's much more convenient for them that I have my own car to drive.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I take pride in the fact that I've paid for EVERYTHING since the day I got my first pay slip. Be it my clothes and bedroom furniture, driving lessons, car, technology, you name it.

that's very responsible and noble...
good for you :yy:
Original post by SEM94
You sound a little bitter. If parents can afford to pay for driving lessons, a car and insurance, and they want to, why shouldn't they?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree she sounds bitter. Jealousy probably.
Reply 6

thankyou ! this is what we need more of in this world!
Reply 7
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
I agree she sounds bitter. Jealousy probably.

I just see too many people take it all for granted, my parents have offered to pay and I have politely declined. Children expect too much these days, iPhone contracts, laptops and now cars, petrol, lessons, tests, insurance and it's a lot of money just feel like it's in your right to receive when you turn 17.
Original post by espicton98
I just see too many people take it all for granted, my parents have offered to pay and I have politely declined. Children expect too much these days, iPhone contracts, laptops and now cars, petrol, lessons, tests, insurance and it's a lot of money just feel like it's in your right to receive when you turn 17.

Who's gonna pay for it if not your parents ? At 17 you're doing A levels and you have no job.

Hi WoodyMKC,

what age did you leave home? And what age did you get your first pay slip?
Original post by SEM94

Posted from TSR Mobile

^this, I know I'm extremely lucky to have parents who were able to pay for my driving lessons, I know it's never a given and I didn't expect it, I was very grateful, it is also extremely commendable if you work for those things yourself but I'm obviously glad they did and why shouldn't they if they have the means?
Who's gonna pay for it if not your parents ? At 17 you're doing A levels and you have no job.

I have a part time job, and no one, I don't see why a 17 year old needs a car to be honest in most situations
My parents payed for the lessons and half the car and I'm very grateful for it. I'm now on my own though. I'm paying for insurance, tax, fuel and the MOT.
I've always loved cars and have always wanted to drive.
I have a part time job, and no one, I don't see why a 17 year old needs a car to be honest in most situations

Driving is a life skill. Sure, there are plenty of people that can get around just fine without driving but the sooner you learn and get a car, insurance gets cheaper as you gain more experience so you might as well do it as soon as possible?

I had tons of good reasons to have a car at 17 and I didn't have one. Maybe you all should stop trying to pick at other people's lives and study your own.

Well there's a difference between accepting a gift and feeling entitled to it.

It's a nice thing for parents to do if they can afford to do it. This will depend upon your particular relationship, but if your parents are happy to do it and it won't cause them any difficulty then there's no reason to be a martyr imho. Not as a 17 year old when you're still financially dependent anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Well there's a difference between accepting a gift and feeling entitled to it.

It's a nice thing for parents to do if they can afford to do it. This will depend upon your particular relationship, but if your parents are happy to do it and it won't cause them any difficulty then there's no reason to be a martyr imho. Not as a 17 year old when you're still financially dependent anyway.

thankyou this is what I've been trying to get at! this sense of entiltement
My dad was more excited than me when it came to me learning to drive :tongue: I went half and half with him for a crap banger (mind you, I'm still driving it now, 5 years later), and he kindly paid for my insurance. He actually taught me how to drive so lessons weren't an issue.

I'm really grateful for it. I'd never expect it, but it has been a huge help. Tbh, without my parents' help, I probably couldn't have afforded it, and I think it's a useful life skill to have.

Edit; Actually, thinking about it, my dad still pays my insurance, and he said he'd continue paying it for as long as I'm a student. I'd love to turn around and say 'It's fine, I'll cover it'... but I'm a poor student.
I've told him I'll find him and mum a nice retirement home when they're older..
(edited 8 years ago)
I had tons of good reasons to have a car at 17 and I didn't have one. Maybe you all should stop trying to pick at other people's lives and study your own.

We live in a society, it is ok to make observations about the way people live as long as they don't offend anyone. I suppose this largely depends on where you live, I live in a small coastal town where everything is in walking distance, with good train links to London and ultimately anywhere. Obviously various personal circumstances may require a car, but the majority do not need a car, nor should they feel entitled to one.
My parents believe it's their right to pay for me (mainly cultural and somewhat religious reasons.) I am very grateful that they provide me with everything for free.

I don't want to learn to drive so I'm kind of delaying taking lessons, although my parents will ensure I do drive (considering it is "essential" these days.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending