The Student Room Group

Sixth form choice problems

I looked around a couple of sixth forms and found one I loved. It offers everything I want and I was very excited to go. Then my best friend suddenly changes her mind, applies to the same place I wanted to go (without looking round or at the courses) and gets a place too. The problem is my best friend is a bit of a car crash,I love her but I wanted to go to my own place next year, and she drags me down in terms of school achievement. I don't know how to sort the situation or talk to her about it.
Original post by emilyy.iris0910
I looked around a couple of sixth forms and found one I loved. It offers everything I want and I was very excited to go. Then my best friend suddenly changes her mind, applies to the same place I wanted to go (without looking round or at the courses) and gets a place too. The problem is my best friend is a bit of a car crash,I love her but I wanted to go to my own place next year, and she drags me down in terms of school achievement. I don't know how to sort the situation or talk to her about it.

best to just gently tell her how you feel.
Original post by claireestelle
best to just gently tell her how you feel.

she's not the kind of person to see things rationally
Reply 3
You've got to be careful with sixth form as A levels are so important, you obviously know this and it's really great that you're recognising the problem that your friend could potentially make. The fact of the matter is that there isn't very much you can do, if she's stubborn and she can find enough reasons to stay, she will. She can only drag you down if you let her, the best advice I can give you is to maybe distance yourself from her - in a new sixth form you can make new friends, try and find some that are as focused as you are! Is she definitely decided on the same sixth form as yours? If she isn't, maybe try and give her some reasons to go somewhere else?
Have a word with her> is she academically able, des she wnat to go to Uni/ How good a friend is she? How does she drag you down?

Work out your options

Leave- but she might follow you and you fall out anyway.
Stay- then decide on what terms. Talk to her and find out what she wnats and let her in on he idea of you both dont work hard then you might not get the grades you need. No idea how flakey she is. If she doesnt get on board with a compromise, then lose your friend or lose your A levels if she is that bad.

I'd be straight with her you owe her that as a best friend. She owes you as a friend to support and be a positive in your studies. You cna find a compromise.

Quick Reply

Latest