The Student Room Group

Why are so many guys insecure about their height?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by samb1234
easier said than done

It's doable, but training for it is difficult (and pretty fun actually). I'm 5 ft 7 and I can dunk, and it really does feel awesome :cool:
Original post by kkboyk
It's doable, but training for it is difficult (and pretty fun actually). I'm 5 ft 7 and I can dunk, and it really does feel awesome :cool:

Nice are we talking rim grazers or 'proper' dunks? Eiher way thats pretty impressive and i agree it's a great feeling
Reply 42
Nice are we talking rim grazers or 'proper' dunks? Eiher way thats pretty impressive and i agree it's a great feeling

Proper (though I can barely get my hands above the rim :colondollar:).
Original post by kkboyk
Proper (though I can barely get my hands above the rim :colondollar:).

Lol i remember those days, when everything would have to be perfect for me to be able ti dunk (perfect run up, palming etc etc). Tbh i think thats one of the best phases, it stops being as special a feeling when it gets easier (although in game is still great)
Reply 44
Lol i remember those days, when everything would have to be perfect for me to be able ti dunk (perfect run up, palming etc etc). Tbh i think thats one of the best phases, it stops being as special a feeling when it gets easier (although in game is still great)

Yeah that's true, since I still screw up occasionally (takes around 2/3 tries to dunk properly). Me and a few friends used to show up at secondary school at 6am to practice basketball, and spend a good time attempting dunks. It was probably the most awesome thing I did that made school be a bit more exciting :colondollar:
Original post by kkboyk
Yeah that's true, since I still screw up occasionally (takes around 2/3 tries to dunk properly). Me and a few friends used to show up at secondary school at 6am to practice basketball, and spend a good time attempting dunks. It was probably the most awesome thing I did that made school be a bit more exciting :colondollar:

Lol just be careful you don't dunk too much and get injured. And dunking is fun but tbh you're better off spending more time in handles, jump shot etc (do as i say not as i do, last time i played spent an hour on reverses self alleys 360s and a few others lol)
Reply 46
Lol just be careful you don't dunk too much and get injured. And dunking is fun but tbh you're better off spending more time in handles, jump shot etc (do as i say not as i do, last time i played spent an hour on reverses self alleys 360s and a few others lol)

I've stopped playing basketball (way too much work to do). The constant injuries put me off from playing :tongue:
Original post by kkboyk
I've stopped playing basketball (way too much work to do). The constant injuries put me off from playing :tongue:

Yeah it's pretty common to get injured, but ballislife so i play way too much anyway lol
Reply 48
Yeah it's pretty common to get injured, but ballislife so i play way too much anyway lol

Have you played for a team? I used to train for a national team, but it was way too intense and was benched most of the times so I stopped showing up :colondollar:
Original post by Bill_Gates
Why are so many guys insecure about their height?

i feel as though it's more of a recent trend now..................

Coming from someone who's 5ft4" (just) (last year of school), I feel it's because of a few things. Firstly it's because height is associated with power, for instance if your manager, a 6ft 5" man walks into the room, there is a greater feeling of power and authority than if a small 5ft 4 man walked in, there'd be less of the "power and authority" and more of "wow he's so short"; not taking them seriously because of their height. This links to relationships as the man is supposed to be big and strong and the woman, well, less of that (I don't believe that this is right). I don't know if this is the same as my previous point but naturally, being tall is more attractive which is another reason for insecurity: nobody has ever said, he's so short and handsome. A more fitting line would be "so tall and handsome".
I don't know if this is just in schools but there's a new trainee teacher who's about 5ft 4" and a surprising amount of kids were quietly making rude and derogatory comments to each other about it. Even I, somebody who is insecure about my height could see even without having someone point it out to me, how strange it looked; a teacher the height of a student.
Yet another point is that a lack of height can lead to being patronised and being "looked down upon" (oh you know what I mean!) which can harm your self esteem.
It doesn't bother me because I'm a shortarse:colonhash:
Original post by A$aprocky
Which hot girl goes out with a midget? none lol

kevin hart u piece of ****
Original post by Eriasu
Society: NO!

Anyways, I don't think it's just guys that get this, it's girls as well. Those who work in the beauty field and are seen as "beauties and beasts" make trends, magazines anything beauty related so you can follow and those who can't follow and are unable to reach that "ideal beauty" become insecure and (blah, blah, blah, I don't know what I'm saying, I should just go to bed already)

About the trends and rating I agree that they mess-up your confidence like for example: the "Don't judge me challenge" campaign that was supposed to be about inside beauty and to end body shaming but ended up the opposite of what it was supposed to be thanks to all of those shallow people putting on a make-up to look like as what they perceived "ugly" and cover the camera and reveal their "beautiful" self (cough) after 4-5hrs of make-up. (Cough)

I know girls are involved in all this ****, I just said guys because it's the thread subject
Whatever, you're right, and it's scary, because when girls see models, they wanna look like them; even unconsciously. The thing is that fashion is ephemeral and changing, it means even if people get the body the want (I mean for ex being thin etc) , one criteria might change , and the race to "perfection" is up again.
Sad, because it looks like people are cursed all their life to try to pursue a changing image that society choose for them. And how do we change that ? Tbh , I don't know ..
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
I know girls are involved in all this ****, I just said guys because it's the thread subject
Whatever, you're right, and it's scary, because when girls see models, they wanna look like them; even unconsciously. The thing is that fashion is ephemeral and changing, it means even if people get the body the want (I mean for ex being thin etc) , one criteria might change , and the race to "perfection" is up again.
Sad, because it looks like people are cursed all their life to try to pursue a changing image that society choose for them. And how do we change that ? Tbh , I don't know ..

Agreed
PRSOM :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Matrix123

PRSOM as well ;P
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
PRSOM as well ;P

Haha thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HeimIX
Sigh, because all the little people at school look at me and say "Gosh, He's so tall", I never know if they like my tallness or are disgusted by it (Guess it doesn't help that I'm pretty thin). Im about 6"1 my friend who is a bigger build than me never gets anyone talking about his tallness. Its weird, i feel pretty self conscious of it though.

I'm about the same height and as a girl it gets pointed out a lot. It used to really bother me when I was younger but now I quite like being tall and find that in response to comments about it sarcasm is usually best. 'Great observational skills there', 'No s**t', that kind of thing.
Original post by Bill_Gates
always hear girls wanting to wear heels and still be shorter than the guy but i always thought it was just them being superficial and not serious.

This is genuinely something girls consider before talking to guys, 'would he still be taller than me if I wore heels?' I hear this a lot at school, but always have to remind people that it doesn't bother me. The reality is I will not easily find a guy that tall for myself, and anyway I think people need to value more important things such as... personality above height.
Original post by Lauren1999
This is genuinely something girls consider before talking to guys, 'would he still be taller than me if I wore heels?' I hear this a lot at school, but always have to remind people that it doesn't bother me. The reality is I will not easily find a guy that tall for myself, and anyway I think people need to value more important things such as... personality above height.

i dont think that will happen tbh. But nice thought.
If anything it's
Height/Looks/££££ and then personality.
Original post by I am Halal
kevin hart u piece of ****

Kevin Hart is incredibly banterous, which makes up for his lack of height. You're just a grumpy dwarf.

Quick Reply

Latest