The Student Room Group

50 people dead in Pakistan after ISLAMIC terror attack

Scroll to see replies

Fair enough.
Original post by childofthesun
There might not have been a 'JeSuisPeshawar' trend specifically, but it was certainly talked about on twitter and was hardly ignored like BrokenLife is making out.

Usually I'd agree that terrorist attacks in non-western countries tend to receive significantly less attention than those in the west(for e.g. the recent attacks in Turkey,Nigeria,and Ivory Coast vs Brussels), but this wasn't really the case with Peshawar.

Yes it wasn't only the case with Peshawar, it was the case with many including Turkey. However, what we're trying to highlight is the hypocrisy of the Western media regarding the worth of human life which shaping Westerners views and that is extremely worrying for humanity.
Original post by BrokenLife
I didn't see the coverage of it as much as the coverage was given to Paris attacks, 9/11 etc. That's a joke if you believe that media covers everything with same mentality. Please!

You claimed 'the world was silent'. I'd agree that it received less in comparison to Paris and 9/11, but that wasn't your initial argument. You're acting like it was completely ignored. See my recent reply to Oblivian
Reply 63
Yes it wasn't only the case with Peshawar, it was the case with many including Turkey. However, what we're trying to highlight is the hypocrisy of the Western media regarding the worth of human life which shaping Westerners views and that is extremely worrying for humanity.

Muslims have committed another terror attack in the name of their religion yet all you people can do is talk about the hypocrisy of western media?

This has nothing to do with the value of human life, or the apparent hypocrisy of the Western media. The media deals with news that that is relevant to it's cultural sphere, the further away it is, the less attention it is given. Do you think it's hypocrisy that the UK media gives more attention to the UK general election than the Pakistani elections?
Original post by Z-Zinan
Muslims have committed another terror attack in the name of their religion yet all you people can do is talk about the hypocrisy of western media?

And all you want to do is bash Islam? hypocrite much. Yes maybe Islam is bad, but Muslims are human beings, there are some that are people that are peaceful and want to live their lives and some influenced and masqueraded by false teachings and propaganda used for political gain.

You claimed 'the world was silent'. I'd agree that it received less in comparison to Paris and 9/11, but that wasn't your initial argument. You're acting like it was completely ignored. See my recent reply to Oblivian

i disagree with this criticism

obviously 'western' news will primarily report about... the west? an indian newspaper will obviously report more about incidents inside India than (potentially 'worse' ) incidents in Argentina, for example - that doesn't constitute a normative judgement on the value of Argentinian (vs Indian) life/happiness by that newspaper/India.
Reply 67
Original post by Oblivion99
And all you want to do is bash Islam? hypocrite much. Yes maybe Islam is bad, but Muslims are human beings, there are some that are people that are peaceful and want to live their lives and some influenced and masqueraded by false teachings and propaganda used for political gain.

That's a start.

The key to resolving a problem is to first accept the problem.
Lol do you know how many Muslims ISIS has killed?

Lots. It's important to note, though, that the IS consider the vast majority of the Muslims they kill to be apostates for refusing to pledge allegiance to their Caliphate and actively fighting against it (examples of the latter would be the captured Iraqi and Syrian regime soldiers that they've killed in mass executions). That undermines your point considerably, I think.

Do you even know how many Muslims are peaceful?

Again, lots. The vast majority, in fact. Again, the devil is in the detail: 'peaceful' does not mean 'moderate/non-extreme.' (There's plenty of evidence for this in the form of the openly Islamist TSR users who are presumably peaceful, given that their daytime preoccupation is university life.)
where the bomb attacked happened - my closest family lives nearby
i was pretty worried about it but she informed me that she is fine :h:
tragic :frown:
Original post by Hydeman
Lots. It's important to note, though, that the IS consider the vast majority of the Muslims they kill to be apostates for refusing to pledge allegiance to their Caliphate and actively fighting against it (examples of the latter would be the captured Iraqi and Syrian regime soldiers that they've killed in mass executions). That undermines your point considerably, I think.

Again, lots. The vast majority, in fact. Again, the devil is in the detail: 'peaceful' does not mean 'moderate/non-extreme.' (There's plenty of evidence for this in the form of the openly Islamist TSR users who are presumably peaceful, given that their daytime preoccupation is university life.)

Good post, PRSOM.

For me the world remained silent. Its of no importance to me that the Peshawar or Turkey attacks were given some coverage as oppose to the Paris or 9/11 which were given such a big exposure. That just shows that human worth is based on geographical backgrounds. That is extremely sad that humanity is now restricted. If you really care for human life, you give equal coverage regardless of where the attack took place.

Original post by Farm_Ecology
This has nothing to do with the value of human life, or the apparent hypocrisy of the Western media. The media deals with news that that is relevant to it's cultural sphere, the further away it is, the less attention it is given. Do you think it's hypocrisy that the UK media gives more attention to the UK general election than the Pakistani elections?

I see where you're coming from, however, in the 21st century, terrorism is not just a national rather an international issue. And the ones that you're comparing it with are pure national issues.
Original post by Oblivion99
People have fooking died, and OP uses it as a scapegoat to bash Islam. WOW, and you want to say the Taliban are heartless.

As much as I agree the OP is a big bag of turds, you can't compare him to the taliban, the taliban flipping burn and dismember people man.
Original post by Z-Zinan
It's not our fault that that the middle east is a terrorist shithole that no one pays attention to.

Wrong on two counts:

1. Outside of the UK/USA/Europe, Western news probably pays more attention to the ME than any other region on Earth.

2. You cannot call the ME "a terrorist shithole". There are large parts of the ME that are stable and relatively prosperous, e.g. Israel, Jordan, Iran, etc.
Lol do you know how many Muslims ISIS has killed? Do you even know how many Muslims are peaceful?

This fact that muslims are killed in no way means that Islam is peaceful or Islam is not to be blamed
Reply 76
For me the world remained silent. Its of no importance to me that the Peshawar or Turkey attacks were given some coverage as oppose to the Paris or 9/11 which were given such a big exposure. That just shows that human worth is based on geographical backgrounds. That is extremely sad that humanity is now restricted. If you really care for human life, you give equal coverage regardless of where the attack took place.

I see where you're coming from, however, in the 21st century, terrorism is not just a national rather an international issue. And the ones that you're comparing it with are pure national issues.

Why are you paying so much attention to western media then?

Why not the middle eastern news outlets? Why must you dictate what the western media decide to report on?

Who made you, so troll on the internet the judge of western journalism?
Reply 77
Original post by Christ Redeems
Wrong on two counts:

1. Outside of the UK/USA/Europe, Western news probably pays more attention to the ME than any other region on Earth.

2. You cannot call the ME "a terrorist shithole". There are large parts of the ME that are stable and relatively prosperous, e.g. Israel, Jordan, Iran, etc.

UK/Europe?

What?????

Right 3 countries, completely ignoring, Syria, Egypt, Saudi arabia, Iraq etc
Original post by Z-Zinan
UK/Europe?

Top things UK news, for example, reports on: 1. Domestic UK news, 2. European news, 3. USA news, 4. Probably the ME.

This is to refute your assertion that "no one pays attention to" the ME.

Right 3 countries, completely ignoring, Syria, Egypt, Saudi arabia, Iraq etc

I never contended that most of the ME was safe/stable/relatively prosperous, just that you cannot tarnish the entire region with the same ("terrorist shithole") brush.

I am in agreement with you that large parts of the ME are indeed terribly backwards places, but large parts are not.
Reply 79
Original post by haj101
I'm getting sick and tired of people connecting these horrible acts with Islam. They are TERRORISTS, they have ignorantly used religion as an excuse to gain political power.

I'm getting sick and tired of people that refuse to acknowledge that these terrorist atrocities are perpetrated by Muslims in the name of Islam. The fact that they interpret Islam differently than you is neither here nor there.

Everytime time a Muslim straps on a belt full of explosives and kills and maims a bunch of innocents out come the apologists with their "these people weren't true muslims" nonsense. It's a weak strategy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending