The Student Room Group

Need some advice

Hey guys,

I graduated in july 2015. I started my new job in november however i really hate it. Its not something i wish to pursue in the future at all. The skills and experiences i have gained have been useful to an extent but I want to quit and have felt this way since I first started but i carried on as I thought i could and the money is good.

Im thinking about quitting next week. Does anyone have any advice? Do you think I should quit to allow myself full time to apply for new jobs?

Please help!
Hi Yazman, you're more likely to get relevant advice on this if you post in the Careers and graduate employment forum :h:
I would say stay in the job if you can as its easier to find another job from a job. So to give yourself more time = no.

If you cnat stand it and are stressed, then maybe. Its your choice.

Just use evenings and weekends to look. Use part of your salary as a fighting fund.
Check your contract on how much notice you have to give.
Write your resignation letter out if you wnat soemthing to aim for.
rewrite your cv.
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi Yazman, you're more likely to get relevant advice on this if you post in the Careers and graduate employment forum :h:

Hii okay thank you i will ask on there too!!
Reply 4
Hii

Thank you for getting back to me!

Im on probabtion at the moment so im on a weeks notice. And even if i did i was thinking about doing volunteering so the gap doesnt look too bad on my cv. Do you think that would give me a better chance so there are no gaps and my availablity would be better for interviews?

I tried around the beginning of feb to apply for roles and work and its pretty much impossible. Every interview i had i had to take sick days and half days which looks worse on me?
Volunteering is ok maybe get it in the area you wnat to move into then you cna spin it that you wanted to hain more relevant experience even if you didnt get paid.

This is a popular sign for resigning along with plenty of info and template letters.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Volunteering is ok maybe get it in the area you wnat to move into then you cna spin it that you wanted to hain more relevant experience even if you didnt get paid.

This is a popular sign for resigning along with plenty of info and template letters.

yeah thats a fair point. the issue is I don't feel I could easier get a volunteering job in what I want to do especially as firstly I'm still not sure what career path I want to take so open to most things, but also its really competitive out there.

and what site was that please?
Original post by Yazman

It doesn't take 'full time' hours to apply for a new job! It doesn't matter how much you like or dislike this job, it is bringing in 'good money' and giving you 'skills and experiences (that are) useful to an extent' and check out when you are eligible for any benefits if you quit a job.

You haven't done long enough yet for the time so far to look really useful, unless you are applying for the exact same job elsewhere, and with a gap since graduation, and leaving a job before you have another, you'll look pretty flakey to an employer if you quit now.

Save your leave, apply for jobs, juggle interviews and go job >job.
Reply 9
Original post by threeportdrift
It doesn't take 'full time' hours to apply for a new job! It doesn't matter how much you like or dislike this job, it is bringing in 'good money' and giving you 'skills and experiences (that are) useful to an extent' and check out when you are eligible for any benefits if you quit a job.

You haven't done long enough yet for the time so far to look really useful, unless you are applying for the exact same job elsewhere, and with a gap since graduation, and leaving a job before you have another, you'll look pretty flakey to an employer if you quit now.

Save your leave, apply for jobs, juggle interviews and go job >job.

I get your viewpoint and thats why i have been so undecided as to when i should quit or not. Looking flakey is the thing im most worried about as im not flaky at all. I had orginally planned to quit in may as it would be 6 months which is seen as a better amount of time.

It might not look useful but i havent done badly in the role. Ive preformed well but i just know that its not where i want to take my career.

Do you feel at the moment thay its very hard to get a new job?
Original post by Yazman
I
Do you feel at the moment thay its very hard to get a new job?

Yes!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending