The Student Room Group

Considering History at University? AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
Historians can be very desirable employees - many go on to be lawyers, journalists, teachers, lecturers, politicians, accountants and so on. Don't be a STEM-snob.

My favourite person in existence is a history buff, David Mitchell. So I am clearly only kidding :P
Original post by oShahpo
My favourite person in existence is a history buff, David Mitchell. So I am clearly only kidding :P

Good :smile:.
Original post by thehistorybore
If you had the stomach for it, why not.

What about protecting myself. Could I kill a tiger armed only with a biro?
What University do you attend and do you like it?
Is it necessary to buy some/any of the books? Or just hope the library has enough for everyone? And if you should buy some, how do you choose which ones?
May I ask what a degree in history leads onto? (I am not being sarcastic I am just interested)
how long did the 30 years' war last ?
Reply 27
Original post by ivybridge
Historians can be very desirable employees - many go on to be lawyers, journalists, teachers, lecturers, politicians, accountants and so on. Don't be a STEM-snob.

Not to mention the law conversion course easily available to most graduates - 1 year and 2 degrees!
Reply 28
Original post by Jimmy Seville
What about protecting myself. Could I kill a tiger armed only with a biro?

Well that's a tough one as you'd struggle to kill a bunny with such a weapon..
Reply 29
Original post by LovepreetDhillon

Brunel University and yes I really do. Although a big part of that is the social side and the societies I've joined!
Reply 30
Original post by ElspethC
Is it necessary to buy some/any of the books? Or just hope the library has enough for everyone? And if you should buy some, how do you choose which ones?

Good question - yes it most certainly is as a personal copy can be incredibly useful! On popular topics the library will often run short.You can pick the most useful ones of course (ask the lecturer as to importance)

I'm at Warwick and it's awesome! I chose it because of the course that they run, it suits my interests very well so I was in no doubt that I would like it. Not as hard work as I expected though!
Original post by ElspethC

I personally haven't had to buy a single book. The library has plenty, and there are so many online book resources it's ridiculous.
Original post by urbanlocations
May I ask what a degree in history leads onto? (I am not being sarcastic I am just interested)

I'm planning on going into Law, a friend of mine in third year has just secured a job as a Fund Analyst at Goldman Sachs. I know someone else who's going off to work at a charity. Just like any decent humanities degree, it can lead you more or less anywhere.
Original post by thehistorybore
I'm at Warwick and it's awesome! I chose it because of the course that they run, it suits my interests very well so I was in no doubt that I would like it. Not as hard work as I expected though!

I personally haven't had to buy a single book. The library has plenty, and there are so many online book resources it's ridiculous.

I'm planning on going into Law, a friend of mine in third year has just secured a job as a Fund Analyst at Goldman Sachs. I know someone else who's going off to work at a charity. Just like any decent humanities degree, it can lead you more or less anywhere.

What are your GCSE/A-Level results?
What are your GCSE/A-Level results?

GCSE; A*A*A*AAAAAABB
A Level; A*A*AA
Original post by the bear
how long did the 30 years' war last ?

29 years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending