The Student Room Group

Cannabis (Legalisation and Regulation) Ten Minute Rule in House of Commons

Scroll to see replies

IMO if it's legalised, it will be safer to obtain for people who want to get it (which is better), and after all it's their life, and they can do whatever they want with it. If you don't want to have weed, don't have it, no one forces you to.
Original post by TSRUsername99
Nearly two pounds of still-green plant material found in a 2,700-year-old grave in the Gobi Desert has just been identified as the world's oldest marijuana stash.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28034925/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/worlds-oldest-marijuana-stash-totally-busted/#.VwTg5HpSL_Q

We know enough to say that its safer than alcohol.

Yes but it's use hasn't been researched properly
Original post by runningoutoftime

Really? You should let GWPharma know, they have a licence to produce and sell cannabis in the UK.

http://www.gwpharm.com/contactus.aspx
(edited 8 years ago)

Are you serious? I gave you a literature review from the British Journal of Psychiatry, one of many, and you responded with "but I'm entitled to my opinion!!!!"

It has been researched properly, however much you want to pretend otherwise.
Original post by JordanL_
Are you serious? I gave you a literature review from the British Journal of Psychiatry, one of many, and you responded with "but I'm entitled to my opinion!!!!"

It has been researched properly, however much you want to pretend otherwise.

It hasn't been researched over a long enough period of time to know the effects of prolonged use
It hasn't been researched over a long enough period of time to know the effects of prolonged use

Let me guess, you're one those strange people that are against the use of Wifi and mobile phones?

According to the review in the BJP it has.
According to the review in the BJP it has.

Unfortunately it seems runningoutoftime prefers to base their opinion on prejudice and/or irrational fear.
You know what just let me be, I have my opinion based on REAL LIFE EXPERIENCES, that is worth more than what a journal article says as these experiences have directly influenced friends and family as well as me. You will not persuade me to change my mind because I have seen what cannabis does to people. You can throw all these links at me all you want but I have my reasons as to why I think legalising cannabis would be a terrible mistake. At least I don't go round saying people have their opinions because of irrational fear.
You know what just let me be, I have my opinion based on REAL LIFE EXPERIENCES, that is worth more than what a journal article says as these experiences have directly influenced friends and family as well as me. You will not persuade me to change my mind because I have seen what cannabis does to people. You can throw all these links at me all you want but I have my reasons as to why I think legalising cannabis would be a terrible mistake. At least I don't go round saying people have their opinions because of irrational fear.

How are your personal experiences worth more than what a scientific journal says? Do you not understand the difference between science and anecdotes? If we based all our beliefs on anecdotes like you do we'd still believe the earth is flat because we don't fall off.

Go and read about anecdotal evidence. You're simply wrong, there's no debate
You will not persuade me to change my mind because I have seen what cannabis does to people. .

What have you seen cannabis do to people?
How are your personal experiences worth more than what a scientific journal says? Do you not understand the difference between science and anecdotes? If we based all our beliefs on anecdotes like you do we'd still believe the earth is flat because we don't fall off.

Go and read about anecdotal evidence. You're simply wrong, there's no debate

Because anyone can read a journal and not feel anything and just spring facts at anyone who questions it. People can become schizophrenic then comit suicide all because of cannabis .I know this for a fact. Have you ever lost someone close to you like this? Do you know how it feels? That is what cannons can do to people and that is why I have my opinion. I am not wrong to have an opinion. You are wrong for saying that I cannot have my opinion because it's not written in a journal.
Because anyone can read a journal and not feel anything and just spring facts at anyone who questions it. People can become schizophrenic then comit suicide all because of cannabis .I know this for a fact. Have you ever lost someone close to you like this? Do you know how it feels? That is what cannons can do to people and that is why I have my opinion. I am not wrong to have an opinion. You are wrong for saying that I cannot have my opinion because it's not written in a journal.

I really am sorry if you've lost someone due to that, but your experiences aren't representative. There were probably many more factors involved, because the vast majority (millions) of people who use cannabis never have any such problems. If you wanted to you could find someone who thinks alcohol is the worst thing in the world because literally everyone they know who ever touched alcohol became an alcoholic and died of liver disease. That doesn't mean that everyone who drinks alcohol will become an alcoholic and die of liver disease.

That's why we conduct studies and gather evidence, to find out how many people this actually happens to.

But it seems like even in your own experience, our current laws haven't helped anybody.
I really am sorry if you've lost someone due to that, but your experiences aren't representative. There were probably many more factors involved, because the vast majority (millions) of people who use cannabis never have any such problems. If you wanted to you could find someone who thinks alcohol is the worst thing in the world because literally everyone they know who ever touched alcohol became an alcoholic and died of liver disease. That doesn't mean that everyone who drinks alcohol will become an alcoholic and die of liver disease.

That's why we conduct studies and gather evidence, to find out how many people this actually happens to.

But it seems like even in your own experience, our current laws haven't helped anybody.

I know I understand that but the whole thing was a horrific experience and frankly I wouldn't want my future children to grow up in a world where society accepts such a thing
I know I understand that but the whole thing was a horrific experience and frankly I wouldn't want my future children to grow up in a world where society accepts such a thing

Fair enough. I can understand why you'd feel that way, and I'm sorry you had to go through that.

All I ask is that you consider the idea that things like this could be prevented if we were to be accepting of it, as unintuitive as it is. If not then let's just agree to disagree.

That's not really how schizophrenia works, it can't be caused by cannabis, cannabis can worsen the symptoms or bring on symptoms earlier than they would otherwise appear. Many things can trigger or be a factor in schizophrenia such as alcohol, relationship problems, stress, we can't ban them all. Stress is a huge factor, which may explain why almost 90% of schizophrenics smoke tobacco, schizophrenics often turn to drug use as an escape or to self medicate, do you really believe criminalising them is the best option?

You may be interested to know that the company i mentioned before GWPharma are currently developing a cannabis based drug for the treatment of schizophrenia, it looks to be at least as effective as current drugs but with significantly fewer side effects. If it weren't for our drug laws we may have had this treatment years ago.

I've never been unfortunate enough to have lost someone to suicide but have come very close a number of times. I'm also very close to someone that suffers with schizophrenia, they smoke tobacco and cannabis but these don't seem to cause any problems, where as caffeine and speed do, but what really triggers these symptoms most is the lack of contact they have with their child. Having turned to drugs as an escape from schizophrenia they ended up in prison on drugs charges and never had the chance to see their own child. They tell me the worst part of having schizophrenia are the side effects of the drugs they have to take, side effects that we may be able to avoid with cannabis.

I also know people with crohns, MS, epilepsy, other mental health issues that have all been deprived of the best treatment they could have had all because of our drug laws, laws that unfortunately did nothing to help in your case.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending