The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Loughborough or Reading University??

I have a conditional offer from both for Biology both wanting ABB which would be best for my firm? I know loughborough is a small town which puts me off a bit as I love a decent nightlife but its great for sport which draws me too it. What do you guys think I really cant make up my mind!?
Original post by polarbear123
I have a conditional offer from both for Biology both wanting ABB which would be best for my firm? I know loughborough is a small town which puts me off a bit as I love a decent nightlife but its great for sport which draws me too it. What do you guys think I really cant make up my mind!?

Hi,

It's great to hear your considering Reading! I can tell you a bit more about the university which might help you! We have the biggest nightclub in Reading on campus so their is no need to travel anywhere, but in town we have about 5 other clubs which all have different themed nights and music, as well as lots of bars (on and off campus), pubs and restaurants if your wanting to explore Reading a bit more! We're not too bad at sports either depending on what your looking for! We have over 57 sports clubs including everything from football, hockey and rugby to quidditch, ultimate frisbee and polo, many who take part in BUCS and competitions across the country. Reading is particularly well known for its Rowing club which has produced some Olympic athletes!

I hoped this helped, feel free to ask anymore questions,
Amelia, second year studying archaeology and history :biggrin:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by UniofReading
Hi,

It's great to hear your considering Reading! I can tell you a bit more about the university which might help you! We have the biggest nightclub in Reading on campus so their is no need to travel anywhere, but in town we have about 5 other clubs which all have different themed nights and music, as well as lots of bars (on and off campus), pubs and restaurants if your wanting to explore Reading a bit more! We're not too bad at sports either depending on what your looking for! We have over 57 sports clubs including everything from football, hockey and rugby to quidditch, ultimate frisbee and polo, many who take part in BUCS and competitions across the country. Reading is particularly well known for its Rowing club which has produced some Olympic athletes!

I hoped this helped, feel free to ask anymore questions,
Amelia, second year studying archaeology and history :biggrin:

Hi, i'm interested to know what made you go to Reading uni and how did you settle? I'm putting this uni as my 1st choice and would really appreciate any advice you have to offer! Thanks! :smile:)
Reply 3
Hi,
This is really interesting question for me, as my home town is Reading but I currently study at Loughborough University…. So I hope I can help!

Of course Reading is a bigger town (applied for city status but has unfortunately never been successful) which means it has more bars and clubs many/all of which I have had very enjoyable nights in. However, I can easily say I would father rather go for a night out in Loughborough over Reading.

The overall nightlife in Loughborough is just far more student friendly. Being a smaller student market town, each night is packed just with students. You will enjoy cheaper drinks and see far more sports teams infancy dress and general student fun. I have again experience both SUs in Reading and Loughborough and Loughborough SU is incomparable.

Whilst I love my home town of Reading and will always be a loyal supporter of Reading FC, I couldn’t advise you more to come to Loughborough University! Loughborough offers top quality Teaching and Learning, incredible opportunities outside of your’ course (sport, rag, action etc.) and ultimately an unbeatable (recent award winning) student experience.

Shopping is better in Reading with the Oracle. But to be honest in comparison it doesn’t take long to get to Nottingham or Leicester on the train/bus if you fancy a bigger day of shopping (I rarely do).

In conclusion - If you were asking me where I would like to be when I graduate as a young professional I would answer Reading. If you are asking where it is best to be as a student for an overall experience, without a question Loughborough!

I hope this helps but regardless where you go no doubt you’ll have a great time.
Best of luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you so much that is really helpful!!! Very reassuring as I put Loughborough as my first choice yesterday so hopefully will be there next year! The impression I have got of it sounds very similar to what you have described so hopefully everything works out
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by polarbear123
Thank you so much that is really helpful!!! Very reassuring as I put Loughborough as my first choice yesterday so hopefully will be there next year! The impression I have got of it sounds very similar to what you have described so hopefully everything works out

Really pleased to hear that you've firmed Loughborough :smile:

Good luck with all of your exams - we look forward to being able to welcome you in September!

Teresa
Original post by SofSpeare
Hi, i'm interested to know what made you go to Reading uni and how did you settle? I'm putting this uni as my 1st choice and would really appreciate any advice you have to offer! Thanks! :smile:)

Hi,

I chose Reading initially because it was in the top 10 for my course, had an amazingly green campus and I loved the enthusiasm that everyone had whilst they were showing me around! I know for others they have chosen Reading due to its connections (30minutes to Paddington and Heathrow), becuase we are close to the town and have some nice halls!
I settled in to uni a lot better than some other people I knew. It's always really tough and most of us got homesick within the first week or so but if you stick it out it's definitely worth it, especially as you get to know your housemates! As well as that freshers week is full of loads of activities for you to do! We have a careers fayre, a sports fayre and a societies fayre where you can learn about everything Reading has to offer and can sign up to everything you want to take part in! We also have nights out organised by your own JCR (students who help organise events for your halls) where you can meet loads of new people and get to know the town a bit more! Once you start your lectures and get into the swing of things it gets easier and you'll know loads of people!

My tips would be to stick it out until after Christmas no matter how you feel, to talk to everyone and anyone that you meet (your all in the same situation of not knowing where anything is or knowing anyone!), join at least one society or sports club, don't worry about getting lost or being late, and throw yourself into everything the university has to offer!

I hope this helped!
Amelia :biggrin:
Reply 7
Hi guys, could you give me an advice/help?

I am an international student, coming to UK for a masters in Project Management (Construction).
Which University is better? Reading University, Brookes or UCL? Apart to UCL that I am still waiting for a response, the other 2 gave me an offer.
Each ranking says different things, I want to have a personal opinion from you.

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Randal
Hi guys, could you give me an advice/help?

I am an international student, coming to UK for a masters in Project Management (Construction).
Which University is better? Reading University, Brookes or UCL? Apart to UCL that I am still waiting for a response, the other 2 gave me an offer.
Each ranking says different things, I want to have a personal opinion from you.

Thanks

I would say UCL, then Reading and then Brookes
Reply 9
Hello
I am an international student and applied international management Master programme
Can you help me to select universities :smile:
Loughborough uni
University of Essex
University of Brighton
University of Kingston
Original post by Simgee
Hello
I am an international student and applied international management Master programme
Can you help me to select universities :smile:
Loughborough uni
University of Essex
University of Brighton
University of Kingston

Hello :smile:

As this is a University of Reading forum, you might find it more helpful to post this is an another forum on the Student Room as more people may see your post. Maybe the postgraduate forum https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Postgraduate_Study

Hope you get a response - I would suggest looking at the course content for all of these different courses, and see which one gives you the most flexibility. Look at the ability to pick optional modules. Also check the university itself, whether it is a campus or city university and which one you would prefer :smile:

Alice :h:
2nd Year Food Science Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending