The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Indeed.

They've conceded only 26 goals in 32 La Liga matches. Only Atleti have a better record.

That's quite scary.

However it's worth giving us credit - we found it tough to score earlier in the season but I think we've figured it out lately. It's just the defence which is a worry.
Not great that we're missing Henderson and Can for the rest of this season :frown:

You'd imagine Allen and Milner will play the EL games in midfield. We have Lucas too but his lack of pace means it's unlikely. Guess we could play all 3 with Lucas as the deepest of the trio.
Ward, Randall, Toure, Lucas, Smith, Allen, Stewart, Ibe, Ojo, Firmino, Sturridge.

Subs: Mignolet, Milner, Coutinho, Sakho, Lallana, Origi, Flanagan
Reply 6583
I expected changes, I didn't expect that :redface: Clearly Klopp has looked at our fixture list and decided that our strongest team will be playing midweek for the rest of the season so might as well get them in the routine of it.

Excited to see Ward get his debut, hope it goes well.
Wow, that's unexpected.
I think that team is a little too week though. Good to rest players but we definitely aren't out of the running for a EL place and we all know how easily you can go out of cup competitions.

We need to be careful not to sacrifice the league too much or else before we know it we could end up with no Europe next season whatsoever.
Original post by mr tim
Ward, Randall, Toure, Lucas, Smith, Allen, Stewart, Ibe, Ojo, Firmino, Sturridge.

Subs: Mignolet, Milner, Coutinho, Sakho, Lallana, Origi, Flanagan

Why isn't Flanagan playing?

He can't be injured if he's on the bench. I don't get it - has he fallen out with Klopp or something?
Bournemouth aren't exactly minnows, they've beaten both Chelsea and United this season.
Reply 6588
Original post by Lúcio
Why isn't Flanagan playing?

He can't be injured if he's on the bench. I don't get it - has he fallen out with Klopp or something?

I doubt it, he was made captain only a few weeks ago. I'm fairly sure he's missed a few games with injury and just come back.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Bournemouth aren't exactly minnows, they've beaten both Chelsea and United this season.

Exactly - we could be punished for this which is what I'm worried about.
Original post by cBay
I doubt it, he was made captain only a few weeks ago. I'm fairly sure he's missed a few games with injury and just come back.

I've heard no reports of an injury though, which is puzzling.
Maybe in training he just wasn't performing at full fitness for something?

Nice to see some youngsters get the nod though. Ward in goal will be particularly interesting.
Reply 6591
Tbf a similar team had no issues at stoke last week
Original post by cBay
Tbf a similar team had no issues at stoke last week

Stoke were extremely poor in all honesty. We were lucky that they didn't capitalise because our CBs were very unimpressive.

Bournemouth do not roll over. They're obviously not gonna get relegated but they have their sights set on a top half finish. That would be huge for them.
Reply 6593
Original post by A Mysterious Lord

Like beating either of those teams this season is an achievement?

In all seriousness it should be a tough game but reckon once the first goal goes in you'll be in control.
Lucas is getting absolutely destroyed by pace when Smith goes forward.
We're so exposed at the back and don't seem to have enough going forward to compensate.

Not a good start.
Firmino 1-0

Great play from Ibe, pull back to Sturridge.
Back to goal, Sturridge back heels - saved by the keeper straight to Firmino for a tap in.
Dat backheel doe :^_^:
Sturridge 2-0

Free header from Ibe free kick - great glancing header but poor from Bournemouth defence.
Refreshing to see us actually score from set pieces now, Stoke, Dortmund and now today, shame that we are still **** at defending them.
Original post by samir12
Refreshing to see us actually score from set pieces now, Stoke, Dortmund and now today, shame that we are still **** at defending them.

In fairness, the teams defending them were abysmal, but yeah it's a little better. Sturridge deserved that goal and assist, he's been impressive.

Ward has been confident in goal and Smith has looked solid too - I like how he tends to stop a good amount of crosses coming in.

Latest