What is life o.o
Woeful.
Bottling another 2 goal lead.

Nice one...
Dope
Reply 6805
There's the liverpool we all know and love
Awful. Just awful.
That's as bad as I've seen Coutinho play and it's not what you expect when he comes on to help you win the game.

We all know where this came from though - Mignolet with a ridiculous mistake.
He's been better of late but he'll always have a fatal mistake in him and that's why he can never be our keeper in the long term.

This is worse than the Soton game because by now we should've learned our lesson.
At least we didn't lose.

Mignolet is just ****, please Klopp get a capable GK this summer.
This is what we will get from Mignolet, will have a few solid games but then will cost us points in a game. The sooner we get rid the better but until then we will get draws (or losses) along the way.

The rest of the team just turned off in the second half though, one eye on the EL game perhaps.
(edited 8 years ago)
No biggie, top four was never happening and it's a point to Rafa.
Cheers lads :borat:
Original post by Summer Sixteen
No biggie, top four was never happening and it's a point to Rafa.

Pretty much, yeah.

The only consolation is that the PL isn't our priority and we won't make a CL place regardless. With United looking likely to win the FA Cup, we just need to finish in the top 7.

Let's hope we don't see bottling like that on Thursday.
I feel it will be ill-advised for me to comment on Sakho until we know the full context, but we definitely missed him today.

It seemed a hark back to the latter days of Rodgers, and it felt like a very pre-Christmas Liverpool performance. Now, we can place this into context by suggesting it's merely an anomaly after the heights we've reached in recent weeks - namely against Dortmund and Everton - and I'm OK with that. We are always going to slip up occasionally.

I can't for the life of me figure out why we didn't make wholesale changes, though. Mignolet will be playing in midweek - and today has hardly filled him, or the back four, with confidence. Randall didn't do much wrong, but again, I felt the burden of expectation weighed him down.

Moreno was excellent, I thought, but our centre-backs didn't do enough to control the game and limit Newcastle's threat. I thought Mignolet was really poor - possible his worst performance for a couple of months - and should have showed more command and more organisation. Lovren clearly missed playing next to Sakho, and I'd have preferred us to play Lucas alongside Toure if that's the case. The last thing we need is Lovren or Mignolet losing any confidence before one of the biggest games of the season.

Aside from that, I felt we did enough to secure the game. We were probably guilty of easing off in the second-half, but that's understandable and human nature. After all, we'd put four past Everton in midweek and Newcastle are seen - rightly or wrongly - as relegation fodder.

They did well to force themselves back into the reckoning despite this, and I felt we should have closed the game out. Sturridge again showed his quality in the final third and that sets him up nicely for Thursday's trip, and Lallana took his goal exceptionally.

Again, there are a few disappointments for me - Firmino's lack of numbers in the final third, and lack of impact (he gave away the ball far too cheaply), Coutinho's impact off the bench and the fallibility we showed at the back as aforementioned - but we can't dwell on this now.

We should know how to close a game out at 2-0 - and that's the most galling aspect of today.
Sakho could be facing 2-4 year suspension if found guilty according to UEFA. Toure was dealt with FA [which was under their old rules, their new one is similar to UEFA's], whilst Sakho will be dealt with UEFA.

https://twitter.com/lovefutebol

The guy above giving a few tweets on Sakho's potential ban if found guilty.
(edited 8 years ago)
At best, Sakho's been an idiot. At worst, he's a drugs cheat.

Anyway, I'm more annoyed about today's result as I'm progressing further into my evening. 2-0 up at half-time, we should be making sure the game peters out. Rafa will have been in at them at half-time - urging his side to get the first goal after the break - and we've absolutely gifted it them in truth.

We should be looking to get to 55/60 without conceding, because then Newcastle will struggle to see how they're getting anything out of the game, and the match would fizzle out and it would become a procession for us.

That hasn't happened, because we've thrown one in our own net effectively. Really frustrating.
Original post by Mackay
Anyway, I'm more annoyed about today's result as I'm progressing further into my evening. 2-0 up at half-time, we should be making sure the game peters out. Rafa will have been in at them at half-time - urging his side to get the first goal after the break - and we've absolutely gifted it them in truth.

We should be looking to get to 55/60 without conceding, because then Newcastle will struggle to see how they're getting anything out of the game, and the match would fizzle out and it would become a procession for us.

That hasn't happened, because we've thrown one in our own net effectively. Really frustrating.

Typical end of season game between a team that has nothing to play for and a team in a relegation battle. We're still a pretty heavily flawed team, this **** happens, nothing to lose sleep over tbh.
Original post by Summer Sixteen
Typical end of season game between a team that has nothing to play for and a team in a relegation battle. We're still a pretty heavily flawed team, this **** happens, nothing to lose sleep over tbh.

Hope not, just a bit galling when you're two goals to the good. I was guilty at half-time of thinking it was job done, so I can't really blame the players too much. I think the intensity of recent weeks probably didn't help today, given the start we had. It was easy to switch off after the decent nights and days we've enjoyed as a side recently.
When you consider there is 5 days till the game against Villarreal, I guess you don't need to rest everyone? Don't think anyone playing both Villarreal games will play against Swansea.

Shame about the Sakho thing since he was starting to look good too. We lose so much money if he's found guilty too since he's suddenly worthless.
Original post by Mackay
At best, Sakho's been an idiot. At worst, he's a drugs cheat.

As mrtim highlighted, it could be 2-4 years if guilty. That's his career effectively over, obviously done at Liverpool which really sucks because we all know he can be an absolutely top quality defender.
We'd still have Matip coming in but we have no idea how he'll work out, and we'd likely have to buy another CB anyway or face being stuck with Skrtel.

I don't care about the result from a PL perspective because league position is irrelevant (provided we finish top 7). I care about the Mignolet mistake and our inability to hold a lead.

I'm not blaming the crumble solely on Mignolet, but his mistake started it and gave Newcastle huge confidence. Whose to say the same won't happen in the EL ties?

Today, DDG saved a United penalty and helped them get to the FA Cup final. It's a dagger in my heart whenever he makes a huge save because every decent team aside from us has a keeper that saves points instead of costing them.
Kane is better than Sturridge

Latest