The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MrMackyTv
I want to say a few things to you then I'm done with you for now:

1. I can't believe you compare such a horrible disease to have, to bullying. Why? Bullying can have an effect on your mental health, it can damage you.
2. Now what has really ticked me off with you is that you think you have the decency to post a thread with a poll asking people to choose between cancer and bullying? What is wrong with you?

The only person who's daft is you.

I was proving the point that there are much worse things than bullying. Cancer was just an example. So when you are self pitying remember there are people far worse of than you.
Reply 21
Original post by really ?
To prove my point :wink:

Well I haven't even got started with you. I said to SOME EXTENT for the point you've given.
I was proving the point that there are much worse things than bullying. Cancer was just an example. So when you are self pitying remember there are people far worse of than you.

But cancer is a disease. Of course it's worse than been bullied because IT'S NOTHING LIKE IT. Bullying can mentally effect you and for someone going through serious bullying it can effect their mental health, and at that point yes it can be just as bad as cancer. I'm not "self pitying" - you bringing things like disease into this is irrelevant and completely invalid, considering the topic is on bullying.
Reply 23
Original post by Nigel Farage *
There are far worse things in the world than being 'bullied'.

Quit your self pitying and man up.

Sorry I don't understand, what's worse than bullying?
Reply 24
it can be just as bad as cancer.

No it can't.

And if you think getting a diagnosis of cancer can't also effect your mental health you are daft.
Reply 25
I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a cancer vs. bullying debate.

This has taken a totallyyyyyyyyy different turn.

I just asked a simple question based on an observation I've had. And no, i'm not being 'bullied' at the moment, but there was a dark time during college/sixth form where some idiot managed to turn an entire 3000 student body against me. Everything from death threats, harassing phone calls to my house, people taking photos of me and ridiculing them online, stealing things from my bag, people following me home, etc. etc.

Even though i'm over it now, it was something that wrecks havoc on your mental health. I'm not dragging out a sob-story or anything, but I know that it happens in school, and it's especially painful when you're vulnerable and young.
Reply 26
Original post by HOLA255
Sorry I don't understand, what's worse than bullying?

Starving to death. i.e thousands of children in Africa.

Getting diagnosed with illnesses/diseases such as cancer.
Reply 27
Starving to death. i.e thousands of children in Africa.

Getting diagnosed with illnesses/diseases such as cancer.

What about suicide, social rejection and isolation is as painful as physical pain.
No it can't.

What do you mean no it can't? What makes it less important than cancer? Bullying is NOT A DISEASE. It doesn't effect you physically it effects you mentally. Can't you understand that? Why would you compare the effect of TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS. Just stop it.

And if you think getting a diagnosis of cancer can't also effect your mental health you are daft.

I didn't say that cancer can't effect you mentally, you're the only one being daft by comparing bullying to a disease. I've lost my patience, I will let the community team sort you out.
Reply 29
If we're going to add to the actual question of this thread, (of why people bully)

This person that initially started the chorus of bullying that ensued for the next 3 years of my life, this was a guy that I had barely spoke TWO WORDS TO. We were never friends, no enemies. He just took it upon himself to hate me and make it a circus, even though I changed school to avoid him.

Why do people feel the need to go out of their way to be cruel to people?

Let's stick to the question, guys.
Original post by JTran38

Responding to the OPs question, I believe that the issue with bullying as a whole is just as important as other issues such as FGM etc.

x

I've been bullied in the past (as in, physically punched, kicked, slapped, pinned down and punched in my stomach after an operation, pushed, etc etc, as well as having photos taken of me and ridiculed online and the generic 'name calling', for years) and it is an utterly, utterly ridiculous statement to say that bullying is as important as issues such as FGM. I'm not even going to go into a full argument about how dumb that statement is, but honestly, who do you think you are?

I've never had my genitals mutilated, but I can guarantee that's a heck of a lot worse than being punched by some bullies at school - as is cancer, poverty, starvation and the horrific stuff that occurs in our world. Yes, it sucks to be bullied, but honestly people do need to 'man up' and get over it - especially after the incident has occurred. Some people are still upset about being bullied years later, and that's pathetic!

Yes people do commit suicide from bullying, but bullying in itself is no way - absolutely NO way - is it worse than the aforementioned things. You saying so is kind of disgusting, in all honesty.

To prove my point :wink:

At least you're sane lmfao

OP: Why does it matter? Questioning 'why' 'why' 'why' is pointless. Just get over it and accept that there probably isn't a reason and move on with your life. It's just bullying.
Reply 31
Bullies are guilty of indirect homicide.
Original post by celloel
I've been bullied in the past (as in, physically punched, kicked, slapped, pinned down and punched in my stomach after an operation, pushed, etc etc, as well as having photos taken of me and ridiculed online and the generic 'name calling', for years) and it is an utterly, utterly ridiculous statement to say that bullying is as important as issues such as FGM. I'm not even going to go into a full argument about how dumb that statement is, but honestly, who do you think you are?

But you're not getting it. We shouldn't have to compare such sensitive things like that to each other - because it causes things like this. I'd like to also ask you "who do you think you are"?

I've never had my genitals mutilated, but I can guarantee that's a heck of a lot worse than being punched by some bullies at school - as is cancer, poverty, starvation and the horrific stuff that occurs in our world. Yes, it sucks to be bullied, but honestly people do need to 'man up' and get over it - especially after the incident has occurred. Some people are still upset about being bullied years later, and that's pathetic!

"man up" - did you seriously say that. You think people should just accept being bullied and do nothing about it? What's pathetic is your statement.

Yes people do commit suicide from bullying, but bullying in itself is no way - absolutely NO way - is it worse than the aforementioned things. You saying so is kind of disgusting, in all honesty.

What's disgusting is you comparing it to other sensitive topics. A sensitive scenario shouldn't be worse than another. People have went through different levels of bullying, sometimes more than the odd punch and name calling everyday. Some people can't handle it. Ever heard of anxiety or depression? Those are mental illnesses, and if you don't think that's even near as important to other things such as cancer and poverty you're the person who is disgusting and you're the person with a pathetic statement.

Just get over it and accept that there probably isn't a reason and move on with your life. It's just bullying.

This statement just highlights everything wrong with your beliefs. I'm really shocked.
Reply 33
Original post by celloel
x

Finally someone with sense! I was losing faith in humanity :smile:
But you're not getting it. We shouldn't have to compare such sensitive things like that to each other - because it causes things like this. I'd like to also ask you "who do you think you are"?

"man up" - did you seriously say that. You think people should just accept being bullied and do nothing about it? What's pathetic is your statement.

What's disgusting is you comparing it to other sensitive topics. A sensitive scenario shouldn't be worse than another. People have went through different levels of bullying, sometimes more than the odd punch and name calling everyday. Some people can't handle it. Ever heard of anxiety or depression? Those are mental illnesses, and if you don't think that's even near as important to other things such as cancer and poverty you're the person who is disgusting and you're the person with a pathetic statement.

This statement just highlights everything wrong with your beliefs. I'm really shocked.

in all honesty I think he has a point about manning up,I see so many people who are so sensitive, but continuous bullying or physical bullying is not right
Reply 35
Original post by celloel

At least you're sane lmfao

OP: Why does it matter? Questioning 'why' 'why' 'why' is pointless. Just get over it and accept that there probably isn't a reason and move on with your life. It's just bullying.

For the sake of things, let me ellaborate on why I used the term FGM. I did not link FGM to bullying in any way or shape or manner, I have simply used it as an example to show how important the issue on bullying is.

I will not making another statement as I had my say on a similar thread and stand by what I've said. Should I need to report anyone, I shall without hesitation. The community team can sort the hell out.
Those are mental illnesses, and if you don't think that's even near as important to other things such as cancer and poverty you're the person who is disgusting and you're the person with a pathetic statement.

The two people, one of you, are the ones that compared bullying to FGM, and to cancer, hence the reasoning for me using it also.

I wasn't punched 'once or twice' - it was every single day. And you know what? I got over it, because ****ing hell, so many people just use bullying as an excuse - years later. It's pathetic, it really is. This discussion was never about depression or anxiety, it was only ever about bullying. Bullying and depression/anxiety don't go hand in hand. In any case, you're assuming that cancer/FGM wouldn't bring about things like depression. How ridiculous of an assumption to make. I'd be more depressed at having to go through chemotherapy/surgery/etc than being bullied. Honestly.

There is absolutely - ABSOLUTELY - no way that bullying is worse than cancer. You saying that is disgusting, and highlights how ridiculous you are. Therefore, this conversation is done, because you are clearly irrational.
Original post by AperfectBalance
in all honesty I think he has a point about manning up,I see so many people who are so sensitive, but continuous bullying or physical bullying is not right

Did you read the rest of my response?

I'm assuming by what you just said implies that people should just tolerate it and do nothing right? Tell me how would I just "ignore" bullying. Tell me. I'm pretty sure if someone kept saying things to you everyday it would get to you. Bullying effects people mentally, some people are tougher than others yes, but "manning up" isn't going to help the situation because you have people self-harming and committing suicide because they've been told to "man up".

Shame, I though on a site like this people would support people being bullied and tell them to report it and etc - clearly not.
I don't know if I bullied anyone really. There was this group that I made it clear I didn't like on account of their noxious personalities and even more noxious personal hygiene. That doesn't seem like bullying, but it kind of was because everyone else in my year felt and acted the same way about them. So you be the judge idk
Reply 39
Original post by JTran38
I have simply used it as an example to show how important the issue on bullying is.

How does FGM show how 'important the issue on bullying is'?

That doesn't make any sense.

Latest