The Student Room Group

Anyone been to Budapest? What's it like?

What are the people like? Do they speak english? What's it like in general? Looks a lot like Vienna from what I've seen (my fav city).
Reply 1
Original post by Erebor
What are the people like? Do they speak english? What's it like in general? Looks a lot like Vienna from what I've seen (my fav city).

Post in Travel
Reply 2
This was about 8 years ago in the dead of winter, so it might not apply. Much of the architecture comes from the same period that saw Vienna's imperial building frenzy, so it will look familiar. Magyar relates to no other language at all, so most natives have to speak something else. That is often German, so brush up on that if you're travelling alone.
The food is often described as like Viennese, but cheaper. Except in one or two of the very highest-end restaurants, I found it to be like Viennese, only less good.

No special idea of what the people are like. I was there playing chamber music for a week so didn't get a chance to meet many. One thing to keep an eye on is the right-wing activity, which is apparently getting a little scary. Andras Schiff, the pianist (and not a bomb-throwing lefty), has not only taken UK citizenship in response, but has refused to play in Hungary ever again.

One great value, if you're willing to spend a little, is shoes. Vass Cipo is one, Rosznyai gets some decent reviews and there are two or three others. Priced like lower-end Crockett & Jones, but entirely hand-made, albeit with a Central European accent. Find a last and a size that works for your foot, and you'll have a great source for years.
I have just come back from visiting Budapest with my boyfriend! It's such a beautiful city, full of amazing architecture, history and the ruin bars are incredibly fun! Couldn't recommend it enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile
P.s. The people are incredibly friendly over there! Most people we encountered have an understanding of English, albeit to varying degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[video="youtube;wQ5k_fvscJk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ5k_fvscJk[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest